• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Garchomp/ Lucario (with Puzzles of Time)

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
I see many different versions of this deck floating around but this is my take on the deck. just a straight forward chomp list without techs like lycanrock, and playing with puzzle of time, abusing Lucarios ability to search for one at any time.

Garchomp/ Lucario

3 Gible (BKP)
1 Gible (ULP) (Rock Hiding)
2 Gabite (ULP)
3 Garchomp (ULP)
1 Garchomp (BKP)
2 Riolu (BUS)
2 Lucario (ULP)
1 Alolan Vulpix (GUR)
1 Rockruff (GUR)
1 Lycanrock GX (GUR)

4 Cynthia
3 N
3 Random Reciever

3 Ultra Ball
4 Puzzle of Time
4 Rare candy
3 Brooklet Hill
2 Devoured Field
2 Exp. Share
2 Timer Ball
1 Escape Board
1 Pal Pad
1 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher

4 Double Colourless Energy
5 Basic Fighting Energy

As you may know, the main strategy for this deck is to get a Garchomp up and running as fast as possible, and to swing for 200 damage by using the Cynthia supporter card. We also use the new Lucario card to get us any card we want from our deck if a Garchomp is in play. This could be the missing energy card, or even the Cynthia we might of missed out on.

Apart from that, the trainers differ on the players play style or how they think the deck should work.
I for one believe that playing the deck with puzzles is the way to go. Lucario can search out the second puzzle if you already have one in hand, which can be used to retrieve double colourless energies and any other cards you might need for that turn to get a ko. Cynthia, maybe a choice band or even a stadium card.

Speaking of stadiums this is where i'm at a loss. I need devoured field in the late game for getting kos on stuff like zoroark gx, especially if the chomp i'm using is holding exp share. But I also need Brooklet Hill for a fast set up in the early game. To get as many Gible's, Riolu's, and even Vulpix into play as possible.
Don't know if I should add an extra stadium or drop 2 of one stadium and just focus on one of them. Say for example drop the devoured field and play 3 brooklet hill instead.

Held items are also a bit of a toss up. You need choice band to get KO's on GX cards, but after your active chomp goes down, your second chomp needs 2 turns to get 2 energy onto it, which is where exp share comes into play. When the first chomp goes down, you move the fighting energy to the bench chomp with Exp share, and now all you have to worry about is finding the DCE that turn. I love the 1 Escape Board since the most retreat cost I have is 1, and i can easily throw it down onto a Lucario or Tapu lele as a free retreater or even to retreat my active pokemon on turn 1 for a potential Vulpix beacon attack turn 1.

The remainder are my recovery cards and one offs. I find 1 of each is fine. I don't need 2 Rescue Stretcher, although it wouldn't hurt. and Super Rod can put fighting energy back into the deck. and with the low 6 count i'm playing, i'm going to need it. I have contemplated on playing 2 field blowers. Mostly so I can discard my own tool cards for the tool card I need that turn. Say my active is holding Exp Share and i need a ko. I can field blower the Exp Share and play a choice band onto it.

Cards I have tried to use but failed have been cards like Guzma, catcher and counter catcher. While these cards can win games, they seem to be very situational. Guzma is a guaranteed gust, but as i'll be wanting to play Cynthia every turn, especially in the late game, this is a complete no. I even played a copy of it in a recent build and ended up turn 1 or 2 ultra balling it away and never needing it the whole game.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can improve this list or what I should focus on, please let me know. I'm also unsure on what Gibles to run and how many of each from each set, Evo Soda or a 4th rare candy. Should I add more Exp. Share. I do not own a single blood thirsty eyes Lycanrock gx, so I can not run that version of the deck, if anyone is going to be asking, though it is a consideration for my next pay day.

Last edited:
Had a bit more testing with my best friend today, and we have come to the agreement that the deck needs to stay as consistent as possible, to ensure you draw everything you need out of this deck. I need a fast set up to apply pressure as early as possible. I need to focus on only using the fighting Gible from Break Point and the Brooklet Hill engine. seeing as every Basic, except Tapu lele is now searchable with Brooklet Hill. The stadium also helps if I don't get turn 1 Brigette. It ensures that I get my Gibles and Riolu's down as early as possible. We think 3 is the right number for now, dropping all the Devoured Fields. Having 4 stadiums would improve the odds of drawing significantly, but deck space for other cards is important right now.
I have also had a 3 or 4 games with slow starts where I was constantly draw passing because I wasn't getting any energy cards in my hand so I increased my energy count from 10 to 12. The spare slot from the missing stadium helped and I removed a Super rod, since I feel Puzzle of Time is all I really need to get back my cards later on. In fact I have used puzzle of time to take back a Rescue Stretcher, to shuffle in 3 Pokemon again to replenish my deck and to keep my chain of Garchomps going.

Heres how it looks so far.

-1 Gible (ULP) Rock Hiding
-2 Devoured Field
-1 Super Rod

+1 Gible (BKP)
+1 Brooklet Hill
+2 Fighting energy

We're still testing together whether or not to run 4 rare candy or play a 3-1 split of candy and evo soda. We've even thought about going for a 3rd Gabite. But i'll leave that for now.
The 2-2 exp. share and choice band split seems to still be working. I have made some clever plays to field blower away an active Pokemons exp. share to attach a Choice Band to it on the same turn, and having 2 is helping me to draw them/ less likely to be prized. The choice bands are more crucial than ever now, now that I have dropped Devoured field, but I still need Exp. share to keep my Garchomps attacking, since the main attack needs 2 energy to attack. and if the first attacker goes down too soon, the second one with no energy can get a sweet revenge kill.
lastly. I'm having doubts about running Vulpix. Its a great starter, but if I don't start with it, its pretty much useless. Sure it can be searched out with Brooklet Hill, but without the Rock Hiding ability Gible, there's no chance of getting it active turn 1 unless I get Escape Board in my opening hand as well. Thinking of running 2 tapu lele or another Searchable tech card with Brooklet Hill.

What if you played only the Rock Hiding Gible, and rather than using Brooklet Hill, you could run 3 Nest Ball to search them out if you cannot get the T1 Brigette. It would give you higher odds of starting with Rock Hiding Gible, which you can retreat for free with an energy into your Vulpix.

I love playing this deck, and seeing other people's takes on it. While I see your reasoning for having Bridgette, I don't feel like it's consistent enough to use without a second Lele. I play mine without Lele or Bridgette, and with Brooklet it runs just fine. I also recommend removing Bridgette because I really feel like you need 1 more Lucario line, in case anything gets prized and to boost consistency. If you would like me to share my list for ideas just say so. Hope this helps!:)

I love playing this deck, and seeing other people's takes on it. While I see your reasoning for having Bridgette, I don't feel like it's consistent enough to use without a second Lele. I play mine without Lele or Bridgette, and with Brooklet it runs just fine. I also recommend removing Bridgette because I really feel like you need 1 more Lucario line, in case anything gets prized and to boost consistency. If you would like me to share my list for ideas just say so. Hope this helps!:)
I'd like to see your list if possible :)

I'd like to see your list if possible :)
Ok, here it is, along with some explanations below it.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 3 Gible BKP 68
* 1 Gible UPR 97
* 2 Gabite UPR 98
* 4 Garchomp UPR 99
* 3 Riolu UPR 66
* 3 Lucario UPR 67

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 N FCO 105
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 3 Random Receiver FCO 109
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Counter Catcher CIN 91
* 3 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Devoured Field CIN 93
* 3 Brooklet Hill GRI 120
* 2 Exp. Share PRC 128
* 1 Escape Board UPR 122

##Energy - 9

* 5 Fighting Energy GEN 80
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I tried to be as simple and consistent with this list, which is why I have 3 fighting Gible and 3 Brooklet Hill. I choose to play Exp. Share because it has shown to help with consistency, especially since it saves energy and attachments. I play the Random Receiver because with low supporter variety, it usually gets Cynthias when I lack Lucario, plus it's helpful early game to get any supporter. I play Devoured Hill for Zoroark and other 210 HP mons, and Escape Board over Float Stone because Lucario only has a retreat cost of 1, and it allows me to retreat even when paralyzed or asleep. Counter Catcher is just there just in case, and timer ball is just a personal choice for more consistency. Also, I recommend rare candy over Evosoda, as it sets up Garchomps faster. Hope this can give you some ideas!!:)

I saw in one of your lists you use Alolan Vulpix GUR,I also use a 2-2 line of Zorua and Zoroark GX. I just like using the Alolan Vulpix as the starting Pokemon helps set up Garchomp and Lucario faster.

Edit What I meant to say was I also use Alolan Vulpix, I run two copies in my current list.
I know there is no puzzle of times in it.

##Pokémon - 20

* 2 Zorua BKT 89
* 2 Zoroark-GX SLG 53
* 4 Gible UPR 96
* 2 Gabite UPR 98
* 4 Garchomp UPR 99
* 2 Riolu UPR 66
* 2 Lucario UPR 67
* 2 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

##Trainer Cards - 24

* 1 Energy Recycler GRI 123
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 1 Acerola BUS 112
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 N NVI 92
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121

##Energy - 16

* 12 Fighting Energy 6
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SLG 69

Total Cards - 60

Last edited:
Ok, here it is, along with some explanations below it.

##Pokémon - 16

* 3 Gible BKP 68
* 1 Gible UPR 97
* 2 Gabite UPR 98
* 4 Garchomp UPR 99
* 3 Riolu UPR 66
* 3 Lucario UPR 67

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 N FCO 105
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 3 Random Receiver FCO 109
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Counter Catcher CIN 91
* 3 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Devoured Field CIN 93
* 3 Brooklet Hill GRI 120
* 2 Exp. Share PRC 128
* 1 Escape Board UPR 122

##Energy - 9

* 5 Fighting Energy GEN 80
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I tried to be as simple and consistent with this list, which is why I have 3 fighting Gible and 3 Brooklet Hill. I choose to play Exp. Share because it has shown to help with consistency, especially since it saves energy and attachments. I play the Random Receiver because with low supporter variety, it usually gets Cynthias when I lack Lucario, plus it's helpful early game to get any supporter. I play Devoured Hill for Zoroark and other 210 HP mons, and Escape Board over Float Stone because Lucario only has a retreat cost of 1, and it allows me to retreat even when paralyzed or asleep. Counter Catcher is just there just in case, and timer ball is just a personal choice for more consistency. Also, I recommend rare candy over Evosoda, as it sets up Garchomps faster. Hope this can give you some ideas!!:)
Thanks heaps, much appreciated

Do you find it does well and, importantly, is fun?

cheers

These ideas are great, and I love your deck list TrevGallade.
You made me spend an hour before bed last night, going through old Pokemon Tins for Random Reciever cards. (Got to give that a try).
I only have 3 copies of the card, and all 3 use the artwork from Darkness Explorers, but it still legal in standard so yey!

Still worried about the energy count. What with the list only having 9 energy. I was struggling to draw into my energy when I was playing 10 energy in my deck. But I wasn't using Random Receiver before. I'll test this out after work later.

These ideas are great, and I love your deck list TrevGallade.
You made me spend an hour before bed last night, going through old Pokemon Tins for Random Reciever cards. (Got to give that a try).
I only have 3 copies of the card, and all 3 use the artwork from Darkness Explorers, but it still legal in standard so yey!

Still worried about the energy count. What with the list only having 9 energy. I was struggling to draw into my energy when I was playing 10 energy in my deck. But I wasn't using Random Receiver before. I'll test this out after work later.
Since I play a 3-3 Lucario list, energies aren't that hard for me to get at least. I'm glad my list helped!:)

I tried your list at the weekend TrevGallade. out of about 20 players at my local league I came 8th. The week before I ran the deck with Vulpix and got 4th.
I think Vulpix is trying to tell me something. That I should have Vulpix in my deck.
My list has now taken out a 1-1 lucario line (back to a 2-2) for the inclusion of Vulpix again and another Fighting energy. (filler for now).

Heres how things went. I wasn't expecting to be paired up against someone in the junior division playing a Buzzwole GX deck with 4 Regirock ex cards. That kid destroyed me, even though I managed to drag it into a best of 3 game. Game 1 I had some luck being able to constantly use N or cynthia into another supporter card or random receiver. and as soon as his first Buzzwole went down, it was easy to destroy everything else on the field. but game 2 and 3 like i said i couldn't win. buzzwole + strong energy + 4 Regirock ex's on the bench. yeah i'm not winning here. Plus he was using my own brooklet hill stadium the whole time to get his Regirocks out.

My second opponent was playing mewtwo/ garb. funny games. destroyed him game 1. game 2 he made me go first, and I had a lone riolu active against his mewtwo gx. I had nothing in hand to get a basic pokemon into play. I attach and pass. He plays kukui on his first turn and energy and turn 1 donks me for weakness. lol what! game 3 i destroyed him again, but that game 2 was funny.

Another opponentIi faced was playing Gardevoir GX/ Zoroark GX. lost game 1 and was actually winning game 2, because he couldn't draw anything he wanted, when time was called, and my opponent kept sending out his Ralts to deny me taking all the prize cards on time so he would win overall, and it not be a draw. damn. never even knew that was a thing.

I'm also considering Lycanrock GX with bloodthirsty eyes for this deck, since counter catcher wasn't really doing it for me the whole time. and when i'm ahead on prizes I want to be able to get those last two prizes on a Tapu Lele or something which I can easily ko, without having to resort to having a guzma in the deck.

I tried your list at the weekend TrevGallade. out of about 20 players at my local league I came 8th. The week before I ran the deck with Vulpix and got 4th.
I think Vulpix is trying to tell me something. That I should have Vulpix in my deck.
My list has now taken out a 1-1 lucario line (back to a 2-2) for the inclusion of Vulpix again and another Fighting energy. (filler for now).

Heres how things went. I wasn't expecting to be paired up against someone in the junior division playing a Buzzwole GX deck with 4 Regirock ex cards. That kid destroyed me, even though I managed to drag it into a best of 3 game. Game 1 I had some luck being able to constantly use N or cynthia into another supporter card or random receiver. and as soon as his first Buzzwole went down, it was easy to destroy everything else on the field. but game 2 and 3 like i said i couldn't win. buzzwole + strong energy + 4 Regirock ex's on the bench. yeah i'm not winning here. Plus he was using my own brooklet hill stadium the whole time to get his Regirocks out.

My second opponent was playing mewtwo/ garb. funny games. destroyed him game 1. game 2 he made me go first, and I had a lone riolu active against his mewtwo gx. I had nothing in hand to get a basic pokemon into play. I attach and pass. He plays kukui on his first turn and energy and turn 1 donks me for weakness. lol what! game 3 i destroyed him again, but that game 2 was funny.

Another opponentIi faced was playing Gardevoir GX/ Zoroark GX. lost game 1 and was actually winning game 2, because he couldn't draw anything he wanted, when time was called, and my opponent kept sending out his Ralts to deny me taking all the prize cards on time so he would win overall, and it not be a draw. damn. never even knew that was a thing.

I'm also considering Lycanrock GX with bloodthirsty eyes for this deck, since counter catcher wasn't really doing it for me the whole time. and when i'm ahead on prizes I want to be able to get those last two prizes on a Tapu Lele or something which I can easily ko, without having to resort to having a guzma in the deck.
Interesting. I'm glad you still did pretty well. I personally prefer a 3-3 Lucario line, but I can't wait to see how your revised list does. I only play counter catcher for filler, and because it can help, but it really isn't that great. Again, glad my list helped you in some way, and I can't wait to see how Lycanroc works for you!:)

Back