Garbodor / Big Basics

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
RE: Garbodor (With Landorus EX, Tornadus EX, Cobalion EX, etc.)

Wrynku said:
At Battle Roads today a Lando/Cobalion/Garbador took T4, my question - is that deck more viable than Lando/Mewtwo/Tornadus/Garbo? What makes the Cobalion deck better/good enough? I don't have a list or anything but I was hoping someone here might know about that Garbodor variant
In addition to competing against TDK/Plasma Box, you also need to consider that Blastoise-BKEX is still very viable and competitive. I had to play against 2 B-BKEX at a recent Battle Roads and I found that, for me, Landorus-Mewtwo-Tornadus-Garbodor to be much more competitive against the "field." I also run 1 Cobalion EX as a tech too.

Wrynku

Aspiring Trainer

What about adding Cobalion NVI as an attacker (to the Lando/Cobal EX lists) to help take care of Kyurem?

MrGatr

Goin Rogue Baby :DDD

Cobalion EPO works in more situations much better. Its attack works like a quick catcher, and still hits nicely. But honestly it doesn't matter.

LifePartTwo

Aspiring Trainer

So any thoughts on techs for the Goth item lock deck?

MrGatr

Audino from BCR. if they get you under item lock play that, and kill away at their gothitelles.

DrunkSpinda

Awakening!

The main problem I have with this is that I think that Cobalion EX is more of a burden than of a blessing. It's good against TDK, but crappy against 99% of the other match-ups

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player

DrunkSpinda said:
The main problem I have with this is that I think that Cobalion EX is more of a burden than of a blessing. It's good against TDK, but crappy against 99% of the other match-ups

Agreed.

Kingslayer

Aspiring Trainer

Yes, especially when you play against Blastoise/Keldeo ex is a nightmare. Cobalion ex works very well against Plasma Box and possibly against some kind of mirror match (if your opponent plays the classic version of this deck with Tornadus/Mewtwo/Land, you can slow him down discarding his DCE). So, i prefer to use it as a counter and not as a main attacker. I use 2 Land ex, 1 or 2 Cob ex, 1 Mewtwo ex (if i play 1 Cob ex, i add one more) and 2 Tornadus ex as my main attackers. And my energy line is 4 Prism, 4 Blend and 4 DCE.

MrGatr

Could someone post a list that isn't focused on Cobalion EX. That's all the lists I can find/think of right now. I'm also wondering how many Mewtwo's do you guys all run?

EDIT:
NVM I think I got this list down. Thoughts?

Pokemon:
3-3 Garbodor (70 HP Trubbish to combat Tornadus/Lando hypno/ Thundu 3 deoxy's yadda yadda yadda 60 damage T1 attackers donk)
2 Mewtwo EX
2 Tornadus EX
1 Landorus EX (I only have one and don't care for more, too much TDK in my area
1 Cobalion EX

Trainers:
4 Juniper
4 N
3 Skyla
2 Cheren

3 Float Stone
2 EXP Share
2 Rescue Scarf

3 Switch
3 Pokemon Catcher
3 Heavy Ball
2 Ultra Ball
2 Pluspower
1 Dowsing Machine
1 Super Rod

Energy:
6 Fighting Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy
3 Prism or Blend WLFM.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player

MrGatr said:
Thoughts?

Pokemon:
3-3 Garbodor (70 HP Trubbish to combat Tornadus/Lando hypno/ Thundu 3 deoxy's yadda yadda yadda 60 damage T1 attackers donk)
2 Mewtwo EX
2 Tornadus EX
1 Cobalion EX

Trainers:
4 Juniper
4 N
3 Skyla
2 Cheren

3 Float Stone
2 EXP Share
2 Rescue Scarf

3 Switch
3 Pokemon Catcher
3 Heavy Ball
2 Ultra Ball
2 Pluspower
1 Dowsing Machine
1 Super Rod

Energy:
6 Fighting Energy
3 Prism or Blend WLFM.

I'd suggest adding more Landorus EXs; TDK should not be an issue. Besides, Lando is still one of the best starters in the game today, IMHO and would apply some serious damage pressure early game.

I'd also suggest you consider replacing the EXP Shares with Eviolites in case you have an opportunity to attached it to one of your big basics (especially Mewtwo EX).

Kingslayer

Aspiring Trainer

MrGatr said:
Could someone post a list that isn't focused on Cobalion EX. That's all the lists I can find/think of right now. I'm also wondering how many Mewtwo's do you guys all run?

EDIT:
NVM I think I got this list down. Thoughts?

Pokemon:
2 Mewtwo EX
2 Tornadus EX
1 Cobalion EX

Trainers:
4 Juniper
4 N
3 Skyla
2 Cheren

3 Float Stone
2 EXP Share
2 Rescue Scarf

3 Switch
3 Pokemon Catcher
3 Heavy Ball
2 Ultra Ball
2 Pluspower
1 Dowsing Machine
1 Super Rod

Energy:
6 Fighting Energy
3 Prism or Blend WLFM.

Why don't you play Lasers?

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player

I've replaced my Ht Lasers with Plus Powers which I'm finding to be more effective.

DrunkSpinda

Awakening!

Lasers>PlusPower. Lasers deal more damage and have 25% of chance of leaving your opponent asleep

Kingslayer

Aspiring Trainer

TuxedoBlack said:
I've replaced my Ht Lasers with Plus Powers which I'm finding to be more effective.

Can you give me an example? Because you can play many of them at the same turn to inflict more damage? But 1 Laser + Virbank= 3 Pluspowers. Or because you want to have more space in your deck (-2 Virbank) to test something else?

LifePartTwo

Aspiring Trainer

I ran
3-2 garbador line
3 landorus ex
2 cobalion ex
1 cobalion nvi
1 audino bcr

Made 3rd at one be and what should of been a 4-1 record but I managed to deck myself out when I had the game won because I wasn't paying attention. In general cobalion ex was pretty meh. Going forward I would probably cut one and side in something else.

Wrynku

Aspiring Trainer

Placed 1st today in a tournament using this Pokemon line:

2 Landorus EX
2 Cobalion EX
1 Terrakion EX
2-2 Garbodor Line

I found that replacing a Lando with Terrakion helped against Plasma and keldeo match ups a lot, since he isn't weak to water. I dont run any blend energy since Terrakion's Pump-Up Smash only works with basic energy, but it's great for building up Cobalion or Landorus quickly

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player

DrunkSpinda said:
Lasers>PlusPower. Lasers deal more damage and have 25% of chance of leaving your opponent asleep
From my recent playtesting experience, as players prepare for the U.S. National tournament, most players are running at least 1 Keldeo EX in all their decks I've played against. And with several players here running Gothitelle-Accelgor, it's not unlikely to find some players running 2 Keldeo EX in his/her deck. So, the odds of my opponent not attacking on his/her next turn is relatively small (probably 25%).

The results of a HtL + VCG is 3 additional damage counters (with additional potential) which may or may result in a KO of the defending Poké. If the defending Poké remains asleep, this also is quite useful too. I tend to use the PPs in particular situations where I can 1HKO targeted Poké.

Kingslayer said:
TuxedoBlack said:

Can you give me an example? Because you can play many of them at the same turn to inflict more damage? But 1 Laser + Virbank= 3 Pluspowers. Or because you want to have more space in your deck (-2 Virbank) to test something else?
For example, assume I'm playing against TDK/Plasma Box and my opponent starts with a Thundurus EX. After an intial Hammerhead attack, I'm in a position to KO that Thundurus EX on my next turn through some "shenanigans" I'm experimenting with.

Also, keep in mind that PP adds 10 more damage before applying weakness; so, in some cases, the resulting damage output is actually greater HtL+VCG.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS

TuxedoBlack said:
DrunkSpinda said:
Also, keep in mind that PP adds 10 more damage before applying weakness; so, in some cases, the resulting damage output is actually greater HtL+VCG.

Um...the biggest weakness in this format is x2. No Pokemon has a weakness to more than 1 type. Explain how one PP can add more than 20 damage?

Kingslayer

Aspiring Trainer

If you play 2 PP at the same turn for example you can do 40 more damage, but how possible is this? Against Plasma box or Darkrai PP could work, but against ALL other matchups Lasers are a better choice.

Aggressiv

Aspiring Trainer

Dark Void said:
TuxedoBlack said:
DrunkSpinda said:

Um...the biggest weakness in this format is x2. No Pokemon has a weakness to more than 1 type. Explain how one PP can add more than 20 damage?

1-1 vileplume obviously, god some people are so dense.