Garbodor - an excellent wall

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
Hey there everyone!

Today I'd like to talk about the Pokemon Garbodor and state why I feel it has a chance in the Generation 5 metagame.

garbodor.png

You may not think that ^ is the most attractive thing in the world, but it has an attractive movepool and decent stats. I'm going to state one set that I've come up with, and I encourage you all to share your own.

Garbodor Mixed Wall

Garbodor @ Black Sludge
Impish Nature
Aftermath Ability (Dream World)
EVs: 252 HP, 80 Defense, 170 Special Defense
Moves:
-Clear Smog
-Stockpile
-Swallow
-Gunk Shot/Toxic Spikes/Spikes

Now please allow me to break down this set.

First off is the held item. Black Sludge is definitely a better idea than Leftovers. Not only would it allow you to get another healing item if you're using the Item Clause, but if an opponent takes the item, they will lose health each turn (assuming they aren't poison type).

Second, the nature. I chose impish nature to give Garbodor's defense a small boost. I will be focusing the EVs on Special Defense, but since this is a mixed wall, Defense will be around 150 while Special Defense will be a tad higher.

Third, the ability. Garbodor doesn't have the greatest abilities, in my opinion. Aftermath is the only realistic choice in this set (look the others up).

Fourth, the moves. Clear Smog prevents opponents from setting up while dealing minor damage (possibly breaking a sash). This is an excellent alternative to Haze, as it actually does damage. Stockpile is the core of this set. With one Stockpile, Garbodor will gain both Defense and Special Defense. This will allow it to stay in longer for better walling. Swallow is to restore HP from Stockpile. Essentially, I would like to get Stockpile up right away. That will let me heal at least one turn, and depending on what my opponent throws at me, I'll be able to increase HP and Defenses. The fourth move is really your personal choice in my opinion. Gunk Shot will allow Garbodor to dish out large hits while walling, while Spikes or Toxic Spikes will have the opponent think twice before switching out. If you have better ideas, please let me know.

And that's my set! Please give me your thoughts. I'm not too sure I want to stick with those EVs, so if anyone is really into the metagame and can give me educated suggestions, I would be very grateful.

Thanks for your time. :)
-T

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer
My views as a novice competetive battler:
Posion is a fairly bad defensive type. It's weak to the ever so common Earthquake and it doesn't make up for it with 80/82/82 defenses. It has nothing special in terms of abilities or moves to make up for this either.

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
My views as a novice competetive battler:
Posion is a fairly bad defensive type. It's weak to the ever so common Earthquake and it doesn't make up for it with 80/82/82 defenses. It has nothing special in terms of abilities or moves to make up for this either.
Very true. This wall might play better in UU rather than OU where Physical Attack on Pokemon is generally less. Earthquake is the one move that could single-handedly destroy this set.

Another hazard is Psychic. Every wall has it's downsides, and unfortunately Earthquake is probably Garbodor's.

Sean

Aspiring Trainer
i dont think Garbodor is a strong pokemon i one hit K.O it with fly every time i battle it

Hyperion64

Aspiring Trainer
Finally, garbodor gets some love. I also put together this lead set that I find to be quite good:

Garbodor
-clear smog
-spikes
-toxic spikes
-explosion
252 hp 4 def 252 spd
Focus sash
Weak armor
Jolly

This is actually quite capable in OU environments.

Hot N' Spicy

^
Now that, is actually a good set, however some minor changes are necessary. First of all, the HP EVs should be in Attack. Explosion will do more damage, and it isn't surviving anything. This also makes sense with the sash. Also, it doest have time to set up both hazards, so they should be slashed together. The extra moveable could be Gunk Shot.

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member
Thread Title said:
Garbodor - an excellent wall
okay.

569.gif

Ew.

Type said:
Resistance to Bug, Poison, Fighting, and Grass, while having a weakness to Psychic and Ground. Sorry, but I don't find Poison as a good type for walling. Your STAB is absorbed by Steel-types, who have always had a huge impact on the metagame and are certainly dominant. Steel types also can take an Explosion fairly well. Ground type moves are way too common, while the fighting resist is actually pretty nifty. The Psychic weakness, however, is just begging Reuniclus to switch in. Toxic/Toxic Spikes do nothing to it, Psychic STAB says hi, but Garbodor with 252 Atk and Explosion scores a OHKO on a Reuniclus with Quiet nature and 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA spread. But if Trick Room is up, Reuniclus will still lose if Garbodor has Sash. Okay, maybe Reuniclus isn't the best Psychic to do the job, but Lati@s and Mew can do it. Oh, and Ground types or anything with a ground move will kick Garbodor's... trash. Okay, it can do somethings. But that's only as a suicide lead who serves no other purpose besides setting up Spikes and going out with a boom. How is that an excellent wall?

Abilities said:
Stench: If the Pokémon make physical contact with the opponent, there is a chance the opponent flinches Hah. 75 Speed says no. :|
Weak Armor: When hit by an attack, the Pokémon's Defense is lowered by one stage but Speed is increased by one stage. This + Sash could possibly lead to at least two layers of Spikes/Toxic Spikes. This is the only thing I can see it using, honestly. Did I forget to mention it only works when hit by physical attacks? No physical attacker on opposite side means Weak Armor doesn't work. How sad.
Dream World Ability:
Aftermath:
The foe that dealt the final hit loses 1/4 of its maximum HP. 1/4 of health from foe is nice, but your most likely going to leave the field with Explosion.

Notable Moves said:
  • Toxic Spikes
  • Spikes
  • Toxic
  • Explosion
  • Protect
  • Rest (but no Sleep Talk this Gen. Hahaha ;D )
  • Substitute
  • Haze
  • Curse
It's an okay movepool. It has no access to recovery outside of Rest and Leftovers, but the sleep system is different from last gen making it hard to rest. You also don't have Sleep Talk this Gen, which makes you useless for 2-5 turns (TS;DR version: The entire game). Garbodor doesn't really need recovery. His main goal is to set up (Toxic)Spikes and blow up.

Stats said:
HP 80 Pretty decent. Maxes out at 364, which is okay for taking hits.
Atk 95 That's enough to dent things with Explosion.
Def 82 Okay, I guess. I don't feel like doing the math, but I guess it can let you take a few hits with the 80 base HP.
Sp. Atk 60 :/ nvm
Sp. Def 82 See Def
Spd 75 Slow.

Excellent wall?

Honestly, the only thing Garbodor can run is a suicide lead set that's only meant to set up a few layer of (Toxic)Spikes before finally going out with a boom, or a priority move/faster Pokemon that outspeds after +1 boost. This only leads to the question of why don't you just use a decent wall like Ferrothorn, Forretress, and/or Skarmory to set up your entry hazards the normal non-gimmicky way while still being able to function later in the game?

I don't know. I guess it could be a good Pokemon in the lower tiers.

Click on the spoiler to see the only viable moveset I can see it running.

Name of Set: Ew
Item: Focus Sash
Effort Values: 4 HP (or other place) / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Weak Armor
Nature: Jolly
Moves:
Toxic Spikes
Spikes
Explosion
Protect

Set up spikes, boom.