Ganondorf. Good or Bad?

GODZILLA

Team Twilight 4eva \m/
In Super Smash Bros. Melee my all time best character is Ganondorf. Shocker. I read at sites that says that Ganondorf is bad because of his speed, but I beg to differ. All you have to do his hit them with a Smash Attack that will send them in the air, when they are in the air kick them with the Sky Kick and they will soon be knocked out. I can KO Bowser on lvl: 9 without taking any damage. People say that Fox is the Ultimate character or Samus(I agree about Samus), but I think Ganondorf is. Do any of you agree?

Here is my melee record:

Ko's: 827!
Falls: 226
Self Destructs: 89
Matches: 326
Victories: 232
Losses: 45

I have only owned the game for about 4 months and I think this is very good. So you?

well, hes pretty much the same as capt. falcon.
i think any character is good as long as the player is smart.

He is very slow and difficult to use but in the hands of an expert he is a very good character.:)

Gannondorf is one of the most powerful characters in Melee. His aerial spike is the strongest in the game. His smash attacks are also very strong. I prefer playing Capt. Falcon and Fox, though, since I like to run around in circles around my opponent while doing lots of damage (perhaps I play too much MegaMan X...).

Overall, Marth is probably the most consistently deadly character in the game. He has a very long range with his sword and pretty much pwns everything in the air, since he can just use counter. He is very agile and can recover quite well. In the hands of an expert, he is overpowering.

In multiplayer matches, I enjoy playing Jigglypuff, since Rollout and Rest often score a lot of KO's.

Your record is impressive. I am not all that good at fighting games since I don't use combos very well and cannot make split-second decisions very well. I also end up getting locked in combo attacks and can't break free...

Yoshi is alot better character to use than gannondorf because he is fast and is great for the home run contest because all you have to do is down+A until there is about 2 seconds on the clock and then use a charged smash attack and you should get close to 1,400 feet easily and you have to beat it to get yoshi's secret stage from the original smash bros.:)

xxashxx said:
Yoshi is alot better character to use than gannondorf because he is fast and is great for the home run contest because all you have to do is down+A until there is about 2 seconds on the clock and then use a charged smash attack and you should get close to 1,400 feet easily and you have to beat it to get yoshi's secret stage from the original smash bros.:)

You actually reminded me about something. Ganondorf is credited with being able to pull off the longest distance out of all the characters in the HRC. It takes a ridiculous amount of reflexes to pull off, but the results are incredible. It involves using an upward smash, an aerial spike, and then simultaneously dropping the bat on Sandbag while aerial spiking it, recovering by hitting R as Ganondorf hits the ground, jumping up and catching the bat in midair and dropping it again, repeating the process several times until throwing the bat in the air, using a Warlock Punch in the opposite direction just as the bat hits Sandbag. The result is around 11,000 ft- enough to cause the game to glitch up. In some videos, I've even seen Sandbag fall through the ground!

To see a video of this in action, check out this link that I found while Googleing:

http://www.smashvids.be/hrc.htm

The holy crap factor in the Ganon video is very high. I suggest you watch it if you haven't, because it is STUNNING!

Wow That's awesome but I am not that good.:)

With Ganondorf I use a combo of punch them, then roll around them, punch them, roll around them, Smash Attack them, Sky Kick them, Aerial Spike them, then when they are about to get back on the stage use your flying kick to knock them out. I have defeated every character using this method and many more methods. If you want to know them I can tell you.

P.S. I don't use the C stick.

It's really tough to say whether a character is good or bad. Characters are scaled based on their weight, range, strength and knockback of attacks. That doesnt make a character better then another but it very much does make some more playable than others.

It really all depends on skill. If you have mastered a character then you should be equally challenged to someone else of the same skill.

I've seen some pretty crazy videos in my SSBM life and now I dont rate characters based on the tier list. I have seen every "crappy" character pwn even the best of players and it really is unbelieveable.

If you want a challenge then take up Bowser and learn him. That's what i'm doing atm cause i've basically learnt everyone who I want to and Bowser isnt the easiest to learn. He is the most difficult character I have ever played, mainly due to his weight, lag and poor recovery but he can be reasonably good. Just watch some videos like Koopacalypse, Bowser isnt as Bad as you think or Koopa Killer. They're all at Smashboards somewhere in the Misc Video thread.

I have the players guide for the game and half of the stuff is messed up but the other half is good though but it covers the best parts of the game well.:)

IMO, its really player based as to what Characters are good. e.g, everyone syas Marth is Broken, and i know he is, however, I just cant use him properly. Im more the Speed or Strength Type. I'm good with (in order) Shiek, Ganondorf, Bowser (im quiet good with him surprisingly), Pikachu, Fox, Falco, Young Link, Yoshi, Ice Climbers. Im average with all the rest.

Also, if anyone finds event 51 hard, I hope this is a little inspirational: I have beaten the event with every character except the Mario Bros (incl. Dr Mario) and Ness. Its just persistance. The easiest Character to use is Jigglypuff.

Also, has anyone noticed something funny with Yoshi? when he does that 'Constipated Air Run' as I call it, he doesnt get knocked around.

Lionheart said:
Also, if anyone finds event 51 hard, I hope this is a little inspirational: I have beaten the event with every character except the Mario Bros (incl. Dr Mario) and Ness. Its just persistance. The easiest Character to use is Jigglypuff.

Yeah. I like to use Pound on Giga Bowser, and then use Rest. It is KOed immediately. I remove Giga Bowser from play, and then I play cat-and-mouse with Mewtwo and Ganondorf, floating around the field picking up items and throwing the items at them. If all goes well, I am able to clear the event without any falls (triggering a special message!).

GODZILLA said:
What is the strategy with Marth, Fox, and Sheik? Everybody plays them.
People play them because they are 'classed' as the best characters in the game. Marth is extremely abused because he has almost unfair range and because the maximum damage he causes comes from the tip of his sword means he can sit back and deal large amounts of damage from a far distance. That's why Marth is played, because you dont need as much skill to use him as any other character, just tap C-Across for the whole match and wait for them to die... it is seriously like that, ive seen alot of Marths played and that's what their matches look like.

Fox is considered good because he has speed, decent power and he can shine (i.e. his Reflector). Almost any light character is OHKO, or set up in a vureable position, after being 'shined' by a Fox or Falco. They both have good recovery and alot of their attacks are decent.

Shiek is a little more complicated. She (yes it IS a she for those who dont think so :p) has quick, deadly attacks and can lead into combos very well. I cant really comment much on Sheik since i havent versed many of them so if you wanta know more then go to Smashboards and read up about her.

RE:   Ganondorf. Good or Bad?

Abhorsen said:
GODZILLA said:
What is the strategy with Marth, Fox, and Sheik? Everybody plays them.
People play them because they are 'classed' as the best characters in the game. Marth is extremely abused because he has almost unfair range and because the maximum damage he causes comes from the tip of his sword means he can sit back and deal large amounts of damage from a far distance. That's why Marth is played, because you dont need as much skill to use him as any other character, just tap C-Across for the whole match and wait for them to die... it is seriously like that, ive seen alot of Marths played and that's what their matches look like.

Fox is considered good because he has speed, decent power and he can shine (i.e. his Reflector). Almost any light character is OHKO, or set up in a vureable position, after being 'shined' by a Fox or Falco. They both have good recovery and alot of their attacks are decent.

Shiek is a little more complicated. She (yes it IS a she for those who dont think so :p) has quick, deadly attacks and can lead into combos very well. I cant really comment much on Sheik since i havent versed many of them so if you wanta know more then go to Smashboards and read up about her.
Yeah. but those people used fancy and jazzed up moves and techniques. They're not just doing normal fighting. They're doing cheating moves in a way.

I wouldnt call it 'cheating moves'. There are other techniques in the game where more 'cheating' or abusing glitches which arent supposed to be there, and everyone does it. Wavedashing is the biggest example. It isnt supposed to be in the game but it is. Other things like Samus' Superwavedash, Mewtwo and Ice Climbers freezing glitch and Ness' Yoyo glitch are played, yet Mewtwo and Ice Climber glitches are banned in official tournaments since they practically mean auto-losses for the person who suffers them, the others dont affect the game like those do.

I won't tell you since I don't want other people to abuse them...

...Just kidding.

There are a few glitches and loopholes that I know about.

Ice Climbers- if an opponent is grabbed and the Ice Climbers use their forward b special, sometimes the opponent will be stuck in mid-air, unable to do anything until they are thrown. On days when I am feeling frustrated and mean, I like to use this to freeze Pikachu in place and then attack it hard, kind of like a punching bag.

Wavedashing- involves aerial dodging into the ground at an angle. If done in rapid succession, the player can change direction really quickly and evade attacks. It is normally too difficult to pull off, but some characters can do it better than others (Luigi, for example).

There is a glitch with Link's boomerang. If he throws the boomerang and uses the Hookshot to hang off of something, when the boomerang returns to him, he will go flying into the stratosphere (but not KOed, I think). Pretty sure this works for Young Link also.

Shiek can charge her needles. When her neutral B special is at max power, use a roll (I think) to be able to move around. She can keep it charged and move around without being stationary.

Kirby can hover off the edge of the stage, swallow an opponent, spit them back out, and simply fly back to the stage. The opponent is KOed, and Kirby isn't. If ahead in a stock match, Kirby can just suicide kill for the game.

This is an easter egg for sure. This can only be done once per game, and Samus is the character. If you use a throw while rotating the control pad, sometimes her throw will turn into a grappling beam that stretches 3x farther than normal. From there on until you get KOed again, if you throw, you need to hit A to grab the opponent when the chain touches them. Holding the L button actually causes the chain to seek out the opponent, regardless of their position (Samus can be standing on the dorsal wing of the Great Fox in Corneria while using this attack and can sucessfully grab players near the engine of the ship). Once Samus is KOed, she can't do this again for the rest of the match (as far as I know).

I've heard of Mewtwo's freezing glitch (nicknamed "Soul Breaker" by many people on line), but can only be pulled off on certain conditions. There is also a glitch that causes Mr. Game and Watch to have a turtle for the rest of the game and Kirby to have Mr. Game and Watch's frying pan, but I can't remember where I've read about these or what to do to make them happen.

Back