Deck Archetype Galarian Cursola Discussion Thread

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
Is there anyone besides myself that has put this together yet?
I may at some point, as this seems like a deck I would order cards for, but I have not currently put it together yet. I have many ideas for this in Expanded though... :D

Pokeman

The great snake rules forever!
Well I can assure you this, it’s a baaad man’s deck! Is there a rotation announced yet this year? Because not many cards in it are from older sets. This list should still function well for a long while!

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
Well I can assure you this, it’s a baaad man’s deck! Is there a rotation announced yet this year? Because not many cards in it are from older sets. This list should still function well for a long while!
I don't think it is officially announced, but the 2020 rotation (if it happens) will be Team Up and any set above it. Many of my ideas for this deck include Guardians Rising cards, so I will have to use Expanded.

Pokeman

Maybe it’ll be good in both, I only play standard, but this deck destroys the current “best deck” Zekrom and Pikachu without hesitation and beats quite a bit outside of that, including my two best decks (that is hard to do).

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
Maybe it’ll be good in both, I only play standard, but this deck destroys the current “best deck” Zekrom and Pikachu without hesitation and beats quite a bit outside of that, including my two best decks (that is hard to do).
I didn't think of PikaRom and ReshiZard, it totally walls those decks. I mostly play rogue one prize decks, so I might try this at my local game store (after Covid-19).

Pokeman

You’ll smoke mostly anything 2 prize guys and up! Trust me the only real battle with this deck is attacking techs and one prize attackers because Everything else is a plus one or two prizes each time you flip a heads and your opponent flip a heads. It’s too risky to attack these head on with a confused Vmax or Tag team, because that’s three free prizes they must give up if that happens. This deck is for sure rogue, I thought of it and came up with it right away after I read Corner and I already knew the capability of Ear-Ringing Bell with something like this.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
I don't think it is officially announced, but the 2020 rotation (if it happens) will be Team Up and any set above it. Many of my ideas for this deck include Guardians Rising cards, so I will have to use Expanded.
a rotation was anounced, the format will be teu-on

so it loses shedinja line, ditto, mysterious treasure, acro bike, sky pillar, and stevens resolve
so 18 cards

also @Dravinator victini and trick coin dont work with cursola i believe

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokeman

Communication replaces the Treasures that’s for sure! And for everything else time will only tell how long this deck will be a goodie . I looked into the new set and find some interesting cards. I don’t see 18 cards destroying a deck completely if it is not main cards like shedinja, he’s only a tech and is not needed to play this, acro bikes isn’t a problem either, the deck should be okay. A Mew tech will replace the pillars, I feel safe moving forward with this too! As far as Stevens Resolve, their goes one beautiful card for this deck, but it’s not needed either. I’d up Rosa to a straight 4, and play 2 Marnie. This deck might be just as good, I don’t see it losing anything really lol it’s losing some nice cards but none of them are a staple that makes this deck hurt like if we were losing ear-ringing bell or something that changes the deck up completely!

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Nice page 2 already

Also theres not really any point playing energy to attack when youre likely getting koed before you can get the second energy on it. And even then, the attack is mediocre. 60 is bad and all of your koes will be from the ability anyway. And when every deck plays switch and/or scoop up net the effect really doesnt matter. Plus, with no gusting, what are you even gonna trap in the active that would want to retreat anyway.

Oh and this deck is completely luck based, that kinda sucks.

Pokeman

Have you built this? This deck does need to attack you attack them with corner to kill off any non GX, V, Tag Team And Vmax cards your opponent is going to have to bring your way to avoid taking a tremendous loss of 2-3 prizes. Eat-ringing bell/dolls stall you enough to get two energies on this guy at all times. Yes it is luck based, but the luck statistically is in your favor. You don’t want to play gusting cards because ear-ringing bell is your attack lock, you just want to trap anything they throw at you. Yes every deck plays a form of switch, but that’s okay, this deck works with Oleana to get rid of that and keep the lock going. Plus plays two reset stamps for late game. 60 is bad, but it’s not horrible when you are creating card combos to make it effective.

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
also @Dravinator victini and trick coin dont work with cursola i believe
Right, because they both only work for attacks. Expanded might have little support for this deck then other than staples like VS Seeker and Ultra Ball/Mysterious Treasure (Rescue Stretcher would be great here).

Last edited:

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
Also, who are you testing this deck against? You said you dont play online so that means you likely cant play in tournaments.

ADP Big Rat

150/350
Also, who are you testing this deck against? You said you dont play online so that means you likely cant play in tournaments.

I also question this. With no legitimate results to base the claim of Cursola being "the best deck in the game" on, it makes the claim even less credible.
This card is broken with Ear-rining bell, 4 dolls & 4-4 Cursola. I built the best deck in the game right now with this card! Play zero other Pokémon, just 4-4 cursola!

I'm honestly shocked you've won games with Cursola. The card is pretty terrible in terms of competitive play seeing that your entire strategy relies on flipping coins to not lose. You get bodied by Dragapult and ADPZ can just attack with Guru and Jirachi to win. I also fail to see how you ever beat Baby Blowns, Control/Mill or just any good player unless you just get absurdly lucky. 60 damage isn't nearly enough offensive pressure to stop your opponent from just setting up whatever board state they need to win. Ear Ringing Bell also does nothing since every deck runs 4 Switch, most of which also run heavy Net counts. And this is already assuming your opponent either isn't playing Scrapper or doesn't have a way to find it on a turn they KO a Cursola.

On a different note than the archetype's issues, I think your list is extremely unoptimal. You have no way to combat hand disruption since you don't have a way to dig for resources other than hard supporters for turn. You also have no backup plan if your opponent knows how to play patiently and win with whatever archetype they're playing.

I also fail to see why you would play Cursola over TEU Beedrill. You already run the Rosa engine, but Beedrill guarantees KOs when it's active, has the ability to play Jirachi and other consistency mons that this can't afford to play (for gusting reasons), and has access to cards like Net Ball and Turffield Stadium. Beedrill is already bad, but it doesn't suffer from most of the issues that Cursola does. And the same issues it has as Cursola, namely consistency and the Pult matchup aren't nearly as bad because you have more consistency outs than Cursola. And for Pult you have Spiritomb and Rainbow already (because Spiritomb + Jynx sets up Destiny Stinger for a Basic Grass as well as the straight Rainbow attachment). It isn't reliably beating Pult at all but it's definitely more than Cursola has since Pult usually plays Swell, rendering Sky Pillar effectively useless.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Playing in the LimitlessTCG Invitational would be the perfect time to prove the decks worth

I haven't heard from @Pokeman in two days though so I haven't been able to give him the stuff for his deck so that he can play in it.

The Last Shaymin

Floof
I also fail to see why you would play Cursola over TEU Beedrill. You already run the Rosa engine, but Beedrill guarantees KOs when it's active, has the ability to play Jirachi and other consistency mons that this can't afford to play (for gusting reasons), and has access to cards like Net Ball and Turffield Stadium. Beedrill is already bad, but it doesn't suffer from most of the issues that Cursola does. And the same issues it has as Cursola, namely consistency and the Pult matchup aren't nearly as bad because you have more consistency outs than Cursola. And for Pult you have Spiritomb and Rainbow already (because Spiritomb + Jynx sets up Destiny Stinger for a Basic Grass as well as the straight Rainbow attachment). It isn't reliably beating Pult at all but it's definitely more than Cursola has since Pult usually plays Swell, rendering Sky Pillar effectively useless.

He already tried beedrill. it went terribly.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
@Pokeman has definitely been ghosting me for the last two days. No contact since Wednesday but since he was active on Thursday and his profile shows he logged on today he was more then capable of shooting me a DM to let me know if there was an schedule issue or something but then deliberately choose not to talk to me at all.

I suspect that Pokeman is chickening out of playing in the tourney.

Last edited: