XY Future Gameplay Improvements

Galaxy Hunter

Shiny Mega Quest!
This is a thread for discussing things we'd like to see in upcoming Pokémon games, and why we'd like to see them. Not so much major events, like new mega-evolutions or new types being introduced, but suggestions for minor improvements to streamline gameplay and make some aspects of the game less hair-pullingly tedious. I'll give some of my wishes for the next iteration of Pokémon:

>Remove the Name Rater, make renaming a Pokémon a function on the PC/ the Party menu

When I nickname a Pokémon, generally I stick with what I go with initially. However, occasionally I decide later on that I'd like a different name or that the original one doesn't fit as well as I thought. Or maybe I accidentally misspelled it at first, and want to fix it. This necessitates that I go to the one location in the region to go find a guy to rename my Pokémon. Seriously? If they're my Pokémon, then why in the heck do I need this guy's help to change their names; shouldn't I be able to do that on my own? It's probably a holdover from previous generations, and perhaps it had to do with the more primitive data structure, but I'd really like to see it go. Renaming them in the PC or from the Party would make it so much easier, and make more sense in-game. Speaking of names...

>Allow players to re-name traded Pokémon

I never understood why you couldn't do this. I get that it's supposed to show that the Pokémon is still loyal to its original trainer, but (to me at least) it discourages you from bonding as well with a traded Pokémon when it has an unchangeable, often stupid or profanity-ridden nickname (the curse filter sure ain't foolproof, even now), or no nickname at all (if it was never nicknamed, then why can't I nickname it?). Maybe make it harder to nickname the Pokémon. Like, you have to have all 8 badges, and/or max out its happiness with you in order to do it. It would actually make sense to do this, as it shows the traded Pokémon slowly warming to you, and at the culmination (max happiness) shows that it likes and trusts you as much as it's original trainer, and allows you to rename it. Just a thought, but it's rather hard to want to use a Wonder-Traded Charizard with the nickname d***-b***.

>Improve the Mass-Selection Option in the storage system

I really like this option; it makes moving large amounts of Pokémon (such as leftovers from mass-breeding for shinies or competitive Pokémon) so much easier. However, I don't like that it forces you to play a tedious matching game to fit moved Pokémon into empty spaces if the destination box has several Pokémon spread throughout it. Just a thought, but how about auto-moving selected Pokémon into all the available empty spaces, instead of forcing you to move them practically one at a time.

>Allow for mass-releases of Pokémon

As mentioned above, I often have a lot of Pokémon I don't want/need at the end of a shiny hunt, or competitive breeding program, and it's extremely tedious to release them all (My last shiny hunt, for Larvesta, ended with over 1224 extras before I got my shiny). And before you say: 'don't release them, Wonder-Trade them!' let me say; I do Wonder-Trade most of them. However, aside from a handful of diamonds in the rough (Shiny Charmander and a perfect IV Mewtwo?!) I still end up with a ton of Pokémon I will never want or use that just take up box space. So, in conjunction with the mass-select option, I'd like an option to release an entire box at once. Perhaps with extra safeguards to prevent releasing good Pokémon on accident.

>Move the 'Organize Pokémon' option to the top of the list

It's the only option most people use anyways, and it'd make things a tad more convenient.

>Allow players to store Eggs in Pokémon Bank

Does anyone know why we can't do this? It doesn't really make sense...

>Improved availability of Evolutionary Stones

After doing a lot of competitive training, and breeding for better teams, the main slowdown for a lot of my training comes from getting the proper evolutionary stone, mainly the ones that you can't buy at the stone store. The only way to get the dusk/dawn/shiny/moon/sun/thunder-stones is an either a once-a-day chance with Psychic Inver (and if you get the wrong stone, you have to try again tomorrow, or the next day, or the next... Hope you like everstones!) or constantly playing Secret Super-Training regimes and pulling your hair out when the game rewards you with yet another Hard Stone. Making it easier to get evolutionary stones, either through offering them at the Battle Facilities for BP, or allowing you to outright buy them at a specialty store (perhaps having more and more stock to become available as you progress through the post-game) would save a lot of time.

>Either bring back move tutors and keep them in every game, or remove them altogether

A lot of the competitive Pokémon that I've bred this generation have been crippled by the fact that their movesets are incomplete due to a lack of move tutors. For example, I'd like to teach my Scizor Bug Bite to give him a STAB move that gets complimented by Technician, however he needs a move tutor to learn it. A move tutor that isn't present in X and Y. I also can't teach my Salamence Outrage, my Blissey Seismic Toss, my Flareon Superpower... you get the idea. I've worked around a lot of the issues by tweaking their movesets or just using different Pokémon, but I'm still a little put out that there aren't move tutors in this generation at the moment. I know that a lot of people are convinced that Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and the possible third game this Generation will have move tutors in them, but I'd rather have the move-tutor only moves either be turned into TM's and egg moves, or allow them to be bred onto certain Pokémon from specific parents. If not, then at least I'd like to see them keep move tutors in every game to prevent these problems.

So, those are some of my hopes for the next games, and I think some of them might one day come true. What do you think, do you agree, disagree? What are some of your hopes/wants for the next games?

I realize the ridiculous amount of coding reqired for all the character models, but if that wasn't an issue, I'd like to see the first pokemon in your team to trail after you throughout your journey much like the pikachu from gen one. It will contribute to the overall "realism" and interaction with your favorite little 'mon or prized shiny on top of Pokemon'ame. Perhaps they could even have some impact on the storyline.

Galaxy Hunter said:
>Improve the Mass-Selection Option in the storage system

I really like this option; it makes moving large amounts of Pokémon (such as leftovers from mass-breeding for shinies or competitive Pokémon) so much easier. However, I don't like that it forces you to play a tedious matching game to fit moved Pokémon into empty spaces if the destination box has several Pokémon spread throughout it. Just a thought, but how about auto-moving selected Pokémon into all the available empty spaces, instead of forcing you to move them practically one at a time.

I also like this to be approved. It's nice to select more than one Pokémon, but when organising boxes it's still moving back and forth a lot due to the limitations. I want them to make it so that if you drop the Pokémon in the box while you hover on the Box Name/ Number / Banner - thing they automatically go to the empty spots whereas if you place them somewhere in the box itself they go to the specific places you are hovering over.

I know releasing Eggs makes no sense, but it would be nice if we could return Eggs to the daycare. I sometimes end up with more Eggs than I need. Having to hatch all of them is annoying.

Something minor that I wouldn't mind improving is being able to have your Pokémon stored from the Daycare directly to your PC. You can transfer wild caught Pokémon to your PC, so why do we first have to make room in our party to get a Pokémon back?

I would love Move Tutor attacks to be possible to bred to the offspring, provided that the Pokémon can learn the move prior to evolution.

I think it'd be fair if the likes of Tyrunt and Bagon got to learn Outrage without the need for Move Tutors by breeding, provided that the father can learn Outrage.

Just thought of another one while trading.

>Allow Players to add/remove Items from Pokémon from the trade screen

This would make it far easier to do trade-evolutions that require items, particularly if you either forget the item beforehand, or if you're trying to evolve a Porygon all the way to Porygon-Z. If you also forgot to remove items from a Pokémon, it wouldn't necessitate you backing out of the trade just to remove the item from it.

-I think the biggest refinement Game Freak needs to do is rethink the concept of movesets. It's a little too rigid having 4 moves per Pokemon for every situation, and there's certain moves that may be useful in one scenario but maybe not another. For that reason, I think they should allow Pokemon to have different movesets for different situations. Like in the past, you would still only have 4 moves for battle, but you would also have a different moveset if the Pokemon has an alternate form (such as Rotom's forms and Mega Evolutions), a separate moveset for field moves, and maybe one for Contests as well. Also, if there's a certain move that you would like to use in multiple scenarios (for example, if you want to use Surf both in battle and as a field move), you can register it on more than one moveset. This would solve several problems with the movesets right now such as the reliance on "HM slaves" to clear obstacles in the overworld (now you can just load up your Pokemon's field movesets without affecting their battle moves), as well as some Mega Evolutions being unable to take advantage of changes in stats, abilities, or type.
-I want to see them bring back Seasons in spirit, instead giving similar functionality to weather. Seasons were a neat concept, but one month is far too long a period to wait through. If they change it to weather, it can run in much shorter cycles, only lasting for a day or so. They can also keep the same layout changes that 5th gen did and provide their own distribution changes as well:

Sun: Lowers water level so you can get to low lying areas. Fire and Grass types become more common in the wild.
Rain: Raises water level so you can Surf to higher up areas. Water and Electric types become more common in the wild.
Sandstorm: Causes sand to pile up in particular areas. Rock, Ground, and Steel types become more common in the wild.
Snow: Causes snow to pile up in particular areas. Ice types become more common in the wild.

-I second the notion of renaming Pokemon you got in a trade. It's especially problematic if the Pokemon you received in a trade has an inappropriate name or if it was transferred and you have no way of sending it back to its original game to rename it. At any rate, if they must stick with the whole "traded Pokemon reflects the feelings of their trainer" BS, at least make it so it could be changed if you max out your friendship with them.
-They should do more with Double Grass/Flower Patches. It's bafflingly pointless to include an entirely new patch of grass in the area only to use the exact same distribution, it's completely redundant and unnecessary, and there's so much more they could do with that to make the distribution more interesting. For instance, they could have two separate distributions on different sections of the route (for instance, on Kalos Rt. 8 they have a cliffside path and a beach path, and they could have completely different Pokemon on each), or secret patches of grass that have rarer Pokemon.
-The Pokedex could stand to be much more useful than it is. Instead of just giving you lore and location data mainly, it should display some more concrete and useful information on the species. Things like movesets, whether or not it can evolve, Egg groups, etc.

Bolt the Cat said:
-I think the biggest refinement Game Freak needs to do is rethink the concept of movesets. It's a little too rigid having 4 moves per Pokemon for every situation, and there's certain moves that may be useful in one scenario but maybe not another. For that reason, I think they should allow Pokemon to have different movesets for different situations. Like in the past, you would still only have 4 moves for battle, but you would also have a different moveset if the Pokemon has an alternate form (such as Rotom's forms and Mega Evolutions), a separate moveset for field moves, and maybe one for Contests as well. Also, if there's a certain move that you would like to use in multiple scenarios (for example, if you want to use Surf both in battle and as a field move), you can register it on more than one moveset. This would solve several problems with the movesets right now such as the reliance on "HM slaves" to clear obstacles in the overworld (now you can just load up your Pokemon's field movesets without affecting their battle moves), as well as some Mega Evolutions being unable to take advantage.

Personally I think they should just remove HMs entirely (or convert them to TMs) and allow Pokémon that could traditionally use them to be able to do the field move without having to sacrifice one of their moveslots for an undeletable HM move.

Bolt the Cat said:
-The Pokedex could stand to be much more useful than it is. Instead of just giving you lore and location data mainly, it should display some more concrete and useful information on the species. Things like movesets, whether or not it can evolve, Egg groups, etc.

I second this too. At the very least, I'd like them to list EV yield for each Pokémon registered. It would make EV training so much easier.

CF1994 said:
I would love Move Tutor attacks to be possible to bred to the offspring, provided that the Pokémon can learn the move prior to evolution.

I think it'd be fair if the likes of Tyrunt and Bagon got to learn Outrage without the need for Move Tutors by breeding, provided that the father can learn Outrage.

I'd love to pass down tutored moves by breeding.

Also, this thread is perfect for something I wanted to share. I'll try to make it cohesive.

So I was thinking about a combination of the berry system in g2 and g3. I'll elaborate. So you know how in g2 the trees stay? And you know how in g2 if you want to remove a tree before it sprouts you can? Why don't they combine that so that you can plan trees, and after you collect a harvest (or as long as there are no berries on the tree at the moment) it stays unless you choose to remove it? Also, keep the high yield from g3.

1. Get rid of needing a Heart Scale to use the Move Reminder's services. If the Move Deleter is free, the Move Reminder should be too, and Heart Scales are hard to come by in some games. Shards can go back to being traded for evolutionary stones instead of exchanged for Move Tutor services.

2. Legendary Pokemon with a base stat total over 600 aren't allowed in battle facilities, but there was an oversight in X and Y: some mega evolutions have a BST way over 600. So, some mega evolutions should be ineligible just like the ultra powerful legendaries. I say this despite using a Mega Gardevoir in the Battle Maison, whose stat total is 618 XD

3. Make Cut trees disappear forever after you get rid of them once, just like they started doing with Strength boulders in Gen 5. Or better yet, make HMs key items. My least favorite part of the games is Victory Road because I can't have my whole battling team with me. I need a Pokemon that knows Strength and one that knows Waterfall. If I want my whole battling team to get a decent amount of EXP, I have to keep going back to the Pokemon center and switching out from the PC.

4. Make Roar and Whirlwind work the same in wild encounters as they do in trainer battles (switching out for another of your Pokemon instead of ending the battle entirely). It's so irritating trying to catch a wild Pokemon or level grind but it just takes you out of the battle with one of those moves. Raikou and Entei took several eternities. Even if you trap them with Mean Look, they know Roar.

5. Speaking of level grinding, higher leveled wild Pokemon. Usually the wild Pokemon are several levels below the trainers in the area, and it's hard to get decent EXP from them or train up your own Pokemon with them. When I'm training a Pokemon I caught not that long ago I sometimes run into the problem of it being too underleveled for the trainers but too overleveled for the wild Pokemon. B2W2 is the one exception.

6. More trainer customization options, like unnatural hair colors and contacts for unnatural eye colors. Also, the ability to take off the hat and wear the sunglasses.

7. Super Training should stay, or at least similar features that make it easier to both EV train and keep track of EVs. I have no idea how people were able to keep track of EVs in older games X_X It would also be neat for features like Pokemon Amie to return, where you can play with your Pokemon.

8. Frost Rotom should get the Refrigerate ability, since it's a refrigerator.

9. The privacy settings for the PSS should be friends only by default.

10. Possibly make previous event-only Pokemon from older generations available in-game through normal gameplay after a few new generations. Not everyone is able to go to those events or can use wifi connection with their DS/3DS. (I'd rather they just made them obtainable through normal gameplay from the start instead of them ever being event-exclusive, but that's probably too much to ask) The wifi point I made could also be applied to trade evolutions.

Seven is a Color said:
8. Frost Rotom should get the Refrigerate ability, since it's a refrigerator.
To be fair, its ability is named Freeze Skin in Japanese. I would like for the Rotom formes to have new abilities, though, because Levitate Fan Rotom is really stupid.

Also, I'd like some sort of non-ability passive effect system for Pokemon. I'd like for all floating/levitating/flying/whatever Pokemon to have the passive effect of being immune to ground moves in addition to an actual ability. It's dumb for Beedrill, Magnemite, Dustox, Venomoth, Mega Charizard X, etc to be capable of flight, but still hit by ground moves. Speaking of Ground moves, Mud Bomb, Bonemerang, Bone Club, and Bone Rush should be able to hit flying pokemon. I would also like HM's incorporated into this, too. What I was thinking was something along the lines of every pokemon that is capable of cutting down trees/thorny vines to have the ability to do so without having to learn a move. Same with Surf, Strength, etc. I'm sure there are other possible uses for a passive ability system like this, but these are the two that come to mind first.

Just thought of a new one:

>Add an Item Exchange/Barter System Between Players

That way if you have an item on one game that you really need on another, or if you want to trade items with someone without having to tediously attach them to a Pokémon, you could do so. Also include an option to exchange in-game currency or Battle Points in this system. That way if you're trying to get something in one game that for whatever reason you can't get in the other, you can transfer funds around to get it.

Make it possible to lock Pokémon's attacks in order to prevent loosing them when left at the daycare, from only one to all of them! It's so annoying having to memorise which attacks will be forgotten first (I can never remember) and then having to go to the Move Deleter to delete some and rearrange others when making a long breeding!

Also, like I've said:
Leaf_Ranger said:
(...)
Even seasons should make a return and never again be forgotten. I imagine seeing seasons affecting more than just having the weather changing attacks (Sunny Day, etc.), with Fire-Types gaining a slight boost when battling in Summer, Grass ones in Spring, Ice in Winter, Water in Autumn and so on, because it just feels natural and it would be another side of strategy (even the day/night cycle should give boosts of some kind to certain Pokémon like Fairy and Dark/Ghost).

Leaf_Ranger said:
Make it possible to lock Pokémon's attacks in order to prevent loosing them when left at the daycare, from only one to all of them! It's so annoying having to memorise which attacks will be forgotten first (I can never remember) and then having to go to the Move Deleter to delete some and rearrange others when making a long breeding!

Also, like I've said:
Leaf_Ranger said:
(...)
Even seasons should make a return and never again be forgotten. I imagine seeing seasons affecting more than just having the weather changing attacks (Sunny Day, etc.), with Fire-Types gaining a slight boost when battling in Summer, Grass ones in Spring, Ice in Winter, Water in Autumn and so on, because it just feels natural and it would be another side of strategy (even the day/night cycle should give boosts of some kind to certain Pokémon like Fairy and Dark/Ghost).

I agree on the second, and you do know that when you put a Pokémon in for breeding in Gen 6, it takes a 'snapshot' of its moveset when it's deposited, and any moves that can be passed to children that it knows will be passed until it's removed.

Example: I put in a Lapras, level 1, with the egg move Dragon Pulse. After several passes around Lumiose City Center, its level up enough to have forgotten Dragon Pulse, but the children still get the move, and all future eggswill also have it unless I take the Lapras out and put it back in, which will register a new move-pool for the children to learn from.

Galaxy Hunter said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

Also, like I've said:

I agree on the second, and you do know that when you put a Pokémon in for breeding in Gen 6, it takes a 'snapshot' of its moveset when it's deposited, and any moves that can be passed to children that it knows will be passed until it's removed.

Example: I put in a Lapras, level 1, with the egg move Dragon Pulse. After several passes around Lumiose City Center, its level up enough to have forgotten Dragon Pulse, but the children still get the move, and all future eggswill also have it unless I take the Lapras out and put it back in, which will register a new move-pool for the children to learn from.

I already know and do that but it's boring when breeding a Pokémon whose male % is lower than female's and so I'll have to keep the pair in the DayCare until obtaining a new male breeder if the ones I'm getting are not what I want and sometimes a new egg takes too much time to appear and I'm already wanting to do something else that isn't bredding and walking/riding while waiting for a new one! -_-'
Thanks anyway! :)

I definitely agree with increased access to evolution stones, and making move tutors present in every game, along with passing down tutored moves. Those have been some of the most frustrating parts of X/Y for me so far.

Also love the idea of some ground moves being able to hit flying/levitating pokemon.

I wouldn't mind some way, as creepy as it might be, to have some control over a bred Pokemon's gender ... probably by asking the Day Care Lady which one you'd prefer (which wouldn't guarantee the gender, just help the odds).

I think Stun Spore and Body Slam should be able to paralyze Electric types. I get that paralysis from Electric moves won't effect them because of their electrical attributes, but Stun Spore is caused by plant/fungus toxins and Body Slam is caused by snapping spines or whatever, so it shouldn't be prevented.

Cinesra said:
I think Stun Spore and Body Slam should be able to paralyze Electric types. I get that paralysis from Electric moves won't effect them because of their electrical attributes, but Stun Spore is caused by plant/fungus toxins and Body Slam is caused by snapping spines or whatever, so it shouldn't be prevented.

On that note; I'd like static to stop affecting ground-type Pokémon (yes, it still does. I've tested it). It's based around static electricity, ground types are immune to electricity. Ergo; this shouldn't affect them.

Full Heal and Full Restore should cure all status conditions, just like it says they do. They don't work for infatuation or being cursed. False advertising!

While it isn't gameplay "per se", I would like the option to have, when entering cities, an in-game artwork appear just like when entering caves and forests.

Cinesra said:

In the Magnemite line, Body Slam would perhaps bend the magnets! :D

I want a massive expansion of Vivillion's color system and shiny Pokémon is a feature that was interesting but from what I see it's now only important for collectors and those that want a special Pokémon, so it could still be available but longside a new gameplay change.

Each region (not country because it would be hard to start with so many but something as a goal) would get Pokémon with different regional diferences (colour, size of certain body features, even gender differences, abilities and attacks (the ones throught breeding also). That way, our Pokémon would get even more unique. You could get other's region's Pokémon by trading and, when travelling, by being able to register/update the console system in order for the ingame's region to now feature the real world region Pokémon (only one region would be available by console; in order to return to the previous, one would need to travel back or not register the console (I think it would be boring to only have something like a Safari Zone that would get the new country's Pokémon by registering and it doesn't match the journey that the real player is going through).

The ingame's region still gets modelled after certain countries but the Pokémon in it and our journey would feel more unique and different.

Back