• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard [Future] Despair Ray and Friends (M-Gardevoir EX)

Pipotchi

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: (18)
-------------
4 Gardevoir EX (Life Leap)
3 Mega Gardevoir EX (Despair Ray)
4 Shaymin EX (Set Up)
3 Hoopa EX (Bandit Ring)
4 Absol (Cursed Eyes)

Trainers: (34)
-------------
4 VS Seeker
4 Sycamore
2 N
1 Giovanni's Scheme
1 Lysandre
1 Karen
1 Olympia
2 Battle Compressor
4 Dimension Valley
4 Ultra Ball
3 Gardevoir Spirit Link
2 Max Potion
1 Super Rod
1 Float Stone
1 Startling Megaphone
1 Trainer's Mail

Energy: (8)
-------------
8 Fairy Energy

gardevoir-mega.gif
shaymin-sky.gif
hoopa-unbound.gif
absol.gif

Strategy:

I wanted to put together my thoughts for a Mega Gardevoir EX deck before the card comes out, because Im interested to talk about it. At first I thought this should be an Exeggcute deck in Expanded or attempt to hit ohkos with a Skyfield every turn, but I think that the aim for a M-Gardevoir EX deck should be extreme consistency and abusing great Ability effects. So I changed it to focus heavily on getting quickly set up to do 110-150 every turn, while also having the necessary tools to manipulate damage and turn 2hkos into ohkos and threaten benched pokemon.
---------------------------------------

4 Gardevoir EX (Life Leap)- I think this is the Gardevoir EX to choose because it can hit for 1 energy just like the mega, plus it can make Trevenant have to 4hko it with Tree Slam which gives it a chance to set up slowly.
___
4 Shaymin EX/ 3 Hoopa EX is going to make this deck really consistent, and with none of the negative side-effects of worrying about lining your bench with free prizes for your opponent to Lysandre.
___
4 Absol- I think this is the deck that the Absol card was destined for, and this is imo the best and most fun part about the deck. Absol is an absurdly pathetic attacker, only provides benefit the turn it is benched and also becomes a big fat lysandre target while also cramming your bench if you want to use its admittedly good ability multiple times- but Despair Ray fixes all of this! Absol becomes like an easier Dusknoir and can conserve damage every turn, and this is crucial in a deck that otherwise is doomed to only take 2hkos.
---------------------------------------

Items I think are pretty simple, there is less focus on draw based supporters as 4 Shaymins and 3 Hoopas can help get out a lot of pokemon- so I thought there can be room for "slower" Supporters like Skyla, or Giovannis Scheme (allowing you to hit 170 if you discard 4 benched pokemon- incase you desperately need a clean knockout). 1 Karen+ 1 Super Rod is important here as it lets you re-bench discarded Absols and other Despair Ray fodder as well as acting as a countermeasure against Night March, Vespiquen, and decking out. Im running a couple of max potion since M Gardy can have a 1 energy attack, and 1 float stone and olympia helps me when i dont start with gardevoir which will often happen.

Thats all I have to say about the deck really! There are other pokemon I considered when thinking about "bench fodder" such as unown, or deoxys, but in the end I feel like my current benched pokemon will put in the most work without being redundant or just for the purpose of discarding. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I see what you are doing here, but have you considered to a radically different type of setup ( the hoopa/shaymin engine is a stable proven deck engine, but it will not sustain gardevoir's damage for long I feel)?

Personally I am entertaining the idea of a grass variant.
Steamsiege brings us a new grass print of foongus, and it has the play-ball ability:

"You may use this Ability when you play this Pokemon from your hand onto your Bench. Search your discard pile for up to 3 Pokéball-cards, show them to your opponent, and put them into your hand."

For true potential we would need an official ruling on the definition of pokéball ( pokéball the card, or do levelball/ultra ball also count as "pokéballs", since they are all "ball" cards), but you can basically setup with 4x pokéball. one of them will flip heads, you grab your next foongus, grab used balls from the discard, and repeat the party again until your bench is filled. Combine this with cards like sacred ash and revitaliser ( both to bring back from a discard or to put them in your hand for benching if combo'd with battle compressors) from generations, and you can simply fill up your bench with 4-5 grass pokés ( 7-8 if you run skyfield, which would actually be a good for this deck, probably if going this grass route superior to fairy garden and dimension valley) every turn for gardevoir to discard, meaning you can infinitely hit 180 damage while recycling pokes and items forever. Would probably work even better in expanded with lasers and eggs. For a secondary attack you could even consider vespiquen, who will hit harder when things go south and numerous grass pokes and gardevoirs are in the discard. If vespiquen/combee is not needed, bench it, discard it with gardevoir, retrieve, etc. It seems like you need a lot of items for it to work, but I think with foongus it will work out just fine, and with gardevoirs attack being pretty energy efficient I'd say you have the space for it.

You could condense your list even further by using Karen when it comes out ( both players shuffle all pokemon from the discard back in the deck)

Last edited:
I would consider going from Dimension Valley to Sky Field as the stadium. It already takes two turns to power up which is two energy attachments. How I see it is there will be at least one Gardevoir powered up on the bench which means you can't OHKO Trevanant BREAK by discarding your 4 spaces of your bench. If you have Sky Field you can easily OHKO many of the big threats in the game right now.

Also, I know you run Giovanni's Scheme, but with Trev lock, if they have another one powered up (which is the case most of the time) you can't play vs seeker for it again to knock out another one. Also, Greninja BREAK is going to be hard to knock out.

I think that you and everybody else are focusing so much on "How much Damage Gardevoir can do" when you should just be focusing on steaming the 110's with the added bonus of clearing off lysandre baits on your bench. You could make tons of room if you took out a Shaymin, 2 hoopas, the hawlucha(1/2 Escape rope affect is Bad) and absols and instead run items to help constancy or a back up attacker. also if you want to help the greninja and trevenant(useless after rotation) matchup i'd suggest running 2 hex maniacs

Suggestions
-4 Dimension Valley (rotation)
-2 Battle Compressor (rotation)
-1 Startling Megaphone (rotation)
-2 Sycamore
+1 N
+1 Lysandre
+4 Sky Field
+2 Ninja Boy
+1 Super Rod

I have been looking at expanded format for them. I would try running
4-3 line for Gardevoir ex
3 Hoopa ex
4 Shaymin ex
2 Jirachi
4 eggs, the discard recover ones
maybe Unknown ( Farewell letter)

Purpose
Sky field lets you put tons of things on your bench
The draw engine is so many Shaymin/Hoopa/Jirachi. They can all be put down, even if you only get 2 or 3 cards off Shaymin. The first Hoopa lets you get 3 Gardevoir that will be your attackers for the game. The important part of the game is turn 2 when you Jirachi for Elesa and get 3 spirit links and Hoopa for the 3 mega. The 4 mega turbo lets you do fast setup. The most critical part is turn two because you will do a massive attack with help from Sky field. Your playing field should be like this.

3 M Gardevoir (1 active)
2 Hoopa
3 Shaymin
1 Jirachi
Maybe you got Keldeo in there for float stone or a egg.

Your Desperate Ray hits for 150ish and you cleaned your bench out after you massive turn two. Shaymin Jirachi and stuff helped you with a bunch of mega turbo to power up most of your energy for the game. After cleaning the bench your eggs help you keep a higher damage output to make sure you 2 hit anything. The Unknown are for either draw support or power up for Despair Ray. Sacred ash lets you put back Pokemon for late game if you need more stuff in play. Life dew would be the Ace Spec since you will not need draw support from Computer Search. Life dew makes it from a 6 prize game to a 8 since even the things Lysandred are ex. By giving it to a Pokemon it discourages it from big a Lysandre target.

Pokemon 24

Gardevoir EX 4 (not sure what one)
M Gardevoir EX 3
Hoopa EX 3
Shaymin EX 4
Jirachi EX 2
Exeggcute 4 (plasma freeze)
Unknown 4 (ancient orgins)

Low draw support count.
Mostly ultra balls and late game stuff.

Only 8 fairy energy.

I have been looking at expanded format for them. I would try running
4-3 line for Gardevoir ex
3 Hoopa ex
4 Shaymin ex
2 Jirachi
4 eggs, the discard recover ones
maybe Unknown ( Farewell letter)

Purpose
Sky field lets you put tons of things on your bench
The draw engine is so many Shaymin/Hoopa/Jirachi. They can all be put down, even if you only get 2 or 3 cards off Shaymin. The first Hoopa lets you get 3 Gardevoir that will be your attackers for the game. The important part of the game is turn 2 when you Jirachi for Elesa and get 3 spirit links and Hoopa for the 3 mega. The 4 mega turbo lets you do fast setup. The most critical part is turn two because you will do a massive attack with help from Sky field. Your playing field should be like this.

3 M Gardevoir (1 active)
2 Hoopa
3 Shaymin
1 Jirachi
Maybe you got Keldeo in there for float stone or a egg.

Your Desperate Ray hits for 150ish and you cleaned your bench out after you massive turn two. Shaymin Jirachi and stuff helped you with a bunch of mega turbo to power up most of your energy for the game. After cleaning the bench your eggs help you keep a higher damage output to make sure you 2 hit anything. The Unknown are for either draw support or power up for Despair Ray. Sacred ash lets you put back Pokemon for late game if you need more stuff in play. Life dew would be the Ace Spec since you will not need draw support from Computer Search. Life dew makes it from a 6 prize game to a 8 since even the things Lysandred are ex. By giving it to a Pokemon it discourages it from big a Lysandre target.

Pokemon 24

Gardevoir EX 4 (not sure what one)
M Gardevoir EX 3
Hoopa EX 3
Shaymin EX 4
Jirachi EX 2
Exeggcute 4 (plasma freeze)
Unknown 4 (ancient orgins)

Low draw support count.
Mostly ultra balls and late game stuff.

Only 8 fairy energy.
He said he wanted it to be standard :p

It is also a possibility to play a two hit version with Fairy Drop and Fairy Garden. If you want to acheive late game one shots you can include one Brilliant Arrow Mega Gardevoir.

As this is a future deck, I'd recommend looking for space for 2-4 Dragonite EX from Evolutions. This gives you the ability to bench them, and then get out other stuff to kill again. Add this with Karen, and you get a really nice recycling engine working and gets you a very nice draw engine out

Back