XY Further Improvements and (Wasted) Potential in Pokémon X / Y

catutie

Ahhhhh back.....er....kind of
Blob55 said:
professorlight said:
Because fans would have raised hell, and they needed to pull something to boost 3ds sales. Also as a test of how the 3ds/pokemon combination behaves in a large scale.

No, I mean they could of just said it would come out in December right away. I'm not talking about a 2 month delay.

catutie said:
I do think I was considerably rushed, I mean sure they started making it after BW but that doesn't mean anything. They had 600+ Pokemon models to make from scratch, redo all the cries for those models, then redesign the overworld COMPLETELY, not to mention the other things like battle animations, music, wireless, wifi, besides the concept and creature design they threw everything out and started over.

Don't forget the new menu sprites, the animations for PokéMonAmi (The battle animations tend to use the old Stadium/PBR ones) and the customizations + pictures of your profile.

u9u3ypuq.jpg

7edy7a5y.jpg

Ehhhh maybe but the do have some differences. Even so the last game like that was PBR or what ever mystery Wii U title we saw a while ago but still they would have had to do the same with all the gen 5 Pokemon and gen 6.

Speaking of Pokemon Amie or what ever, I don't like it. Why can't we go back to contests? Those were fun, all of this stuff they keep trying beer sticks and usually sucks.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
catutie said:
Blob55 said:
No, I mean they could of just said it would come out in December right away. I'm not talking about a 2 month delay.

Don't forget the new menu sprites, the animations for PokéMonAmi (The battle animations tend to use the old Stadium/PBR ones) and the customizations + pictures of your profile.

u9u3ypuq.jpg

7edy7a5y.jpg

Ehhhh maybe but the do have some differences. Even so the last game like that was PBR or what ever mystery Wii U title we saw a while ago but still they would have had to do the same with all the gen 5 Pokemon and gen 6.

Speaking of Pokemon Amie or what ever, I don't like it. Why can't we go back to contests? Those were fun, all of this stuff they keep trying beer sticks and usually sucks.

Actually, they only had to do the Gen 6 Pokémon, as there was Pokédex 3D Pro for all Gen 5 mon.

PokéMonAmi was the Contest substitute? I couldn't even tell. It's just so much... different!

Prince Dedenne

Elite Shiny Hunter
I thought that PokémonAmie was just an added extra (awesome) feature.
I figured the PR Trainer Videos replaced contests and Pokémon Studios.

marsbar

Aspiring Trainer
Actually, they only had to do the Gen 6 Pokémon, as there was Pokédex 3D Pro for all Gen 5 mon.

Trust me, the pokemon in these games hardly look like they do in pokedex 3D. I reckon they look much more like cartoon drawings than the look they had in Pokedex 3D

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I don't really like the Trainer Videos at all, though I guess that's a more logical contest replacement considering PokéStudios and such. I did enjoy contests, so maybe we'll get those again with the ever-hoped-for 3rd Gen remakes. At least that was about Pokémon and not just some weird modeling thing.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
marsbar said:
Trust me, the pokemon in these games hardly look like they do in pokedex 3D. I reckon they look much more like cartoon drawings than the look they had in Pokedex 3D

I'm talking about the animations they used, not the models. The models are definitely different, but Pokémon like Primeape still use the same ANIMATIONS as Stadium.

Athena said:
I don't really like the Trainer Videos at all, though I guess that's a more logical contest replacement considering PokéStudios and such. I did enjoy contests, so maybe we'll get those again with the ever-hoped-for 3rd Gen remakes. At least that was about Pokémon and not just some weird modeling thing.

I thought the Trainer Videos were a substitute for the Movies in BW2.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Blob55 said:
Athena said:

Yeah, and movies the Gen V version of Contests from III/IV. I guess that was the point I was trying to make, we went from Contests to Movies to Trainer Videos, and along the way the focus shifted more and more away from the Pokémon and onto the Trainer.

TrainerSivan

Aspiring Trainer
I would love it if they brought contests back but let's face it, contests existed for only two generations and they probably aren't coming back. I preferred the Pokelathon over contests anyway, considering how the 4th generation put a stronger emphasis on dressing your Pokemon up rather than the moves. Pokelathon felt more like it was actually about the Pokemon, was intractable, and gave Pokemon you would not normally use a fun purpose. I wish they brought that back in for the 6th generation.

I do love Pokemon-Amie and wish it had more to it. I feel like it is too simple and had the potential to be much more. Like for the mini-games, instead of just using the models of your Pokemon as in-game avatars that serve little purpose, why not have Pokemon-oriented mini games? Like a Pokemon race or something similar to the Pokemon Stadium mini games? That would be really fun and chances are that I would play Pokemon-Amie even more. I like it as is but after a few short minutes you run out of things to do on it. I would love to be able to interact with my Pokemon even more and do hope they carry the feature over into the next generation but considering the trends of the past few years... they will probably replace it with another half-baked special feature that has greater potential than functions.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
Athena said:
Blob55 said:

Yeah, and movies the Gen V version of Contests from III/IV. I guess that was the point I was trying to make, we went from Contests to Movies to Trainer Videos, and along the way the focus shifted more and more away from the Pokémon and onto the Trainer.

Weren't the Musicals the Contest substitute?

catutie

Blob55 said:
Athena said:

Weren't the Musicals the Contest substitute?

Never mention those again.

I forgot just how many different things they tried, I guess they could even try putting pokethon and Pokemon contests in the game? None of this video and movie crap.

professorlight

Ice Queen
I think amie should be merged with core training and super training, your pokemon doing pokethlon minigames against each other to gain EVs, and you must keep them well fed, entertained and loving you or they will be weaker, doze off and not obey you in battle, in contrast to cure themselves of status, get crits and extra evasion when you do it well.

And those benefits and disadvantages should be used in player-player battles, too. Especially to make harder to get fully powered pokemon, since you would have to get them into amie for a good time before them being ready for battle.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Sorry, I just blocked the Musicals from my memory entirely. I'm now going to be forced to delete this thread to purge the memory again. They were horrible, though I guess they do also fit into the "Contest replacements" section of things.

catutie

professorlight said:
I think amie should be merged with core training and super training, your pokemon doing pokethlon minigames against each other to gain EVs, and you must keep them well fed, entertained and loving you or they will be weaker, doze off and not obey you in battle, in contrast to cure themselves of status, get crits and extra evasion when you do it well.

And those benefits and disadvantages should be used in player-player battles, too. Especially to make harder to get fully powered pokemon, since you would have to get them into amie for a good time before them being ready for battle.

Hmmm that would make it a lot more anime like, but that would make things a bit unfair.

I mean someone that may not have the time to do this to their own Pokemon and then they battle you they are screwed. I mean I haven't even dabbled too much in Pokemon amie.

I hope they keep the super training, EV training is faster and actually seeing that it's done right is good.

SCf3

Aspiring Trainer
Athena said:
Sorry, I just blocked the Musicals from my memory entirely. I'm now going to be forced to delete this thread to purge the memory again. They were horrible, though I guess they do also fit into the "Contest replacements" section of things.

I HATED the musicals too. I prefer the Gen 3 contests over that anyday. I really wish they brought those contests back, they were so much fun.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
I remember when Pokémon X and Y were released last year I was excited to hear about
Sky Battles but I also thought that there would be Underwater Battles as well too which would be awesome in a Gen VI remake of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. If anything Nintendo will probably release R/S/E on the Virtual Console before even considering a remake of it for
Gen VI on the 3DS.

catutie

Card Slinger J said:
I remember when Pokémon X and Y were released last year I was excited to hear about
Sky Battles but I also thought that there would be Underwater Battles as well too which would be awesome in a Gen VI remake of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. If anything Nintendo will probably release R/S/E on the Virtual Console before even considering a remake of it for
Gen VI on the 3DS.

On virtual console? Lol they haven't released any of the main Pokemon games on there, why would they release just those? That would blow my mind if they released those on VC or any of the main Pokemon games. I would much prefer they released R/B/Y not those

Drohn

Wild War Dance
Something I really love in XY are the Sky Battles. I wish they made it possible to have more than just battling the Sky Battle Trainers once per game. Improvements I can think of are making them more available and making all Pokémon that can fly (instead of only those with the type and ability) be able to participate.

With all the amazing new sprites, it also would have been cool if we could actually see the Pokémon in-game when we use HM Moves/Rock Smash/Flash/Others?. Especially flying to a different town on a Pokémon or having a Pokémon follow you while it uses Flash inside a cave would be awesome!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Drohn said:
With all the amazing new sprites, it also would have been cool if we could actually see the Pokémon in-game when we use HM Moves/Rock Smash/Flash/Others?. Especially flying to a different town on a Pokémon or having a Pokémon follow you while it uses Flash inside a cave would be awesome!

This would be really cool. Surfing on an actual Lapras sprite was one of my favourite additions to the game. :D Would love to see it expanded to other Pokémon and other HMs too!

Stephen Williams

Always training is a Never ending Struggle
I would also like a feature in the GTS where you can search for who is looking for what. You know the opposite of what they have now. They can keep it the way it is just add that feature and oh boy it will save me so much trouble. Is it just me or does anybody else wish for this idea.

IgnisMagister

Togepi go BOOM!
The standard trading system needs to improve...I don't know what the other player is thinking. I offer something, and he/she just pauses or turns the game off. I also don't like how they took away the smily face, the exclamation mark, the heart, and the frowny face from Generation 5. This is one important thing they need to improve in the future games. It aggravates me. D:<

Athena said:
Drohn said:

This would be really cool. Surfing on an actual Lapras sprite was one of my favourite additions to the game. :D Would love to see it expanded to other Pokémon and other HMs too!

This reminds me of how much I loved the HeartGold and SoulSilver feature where you could have the Pokémon come out of the pokéball and walk around with you. I want this to return badly.