• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Fun: Venomoth / Shaymin EX

Mora

Don't Panic
Pokemon: 11
  • 4 Venomoth
  • 4 Venonat
  • 3 Shaymin EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 42
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Team Flare Grunt
  • 1 Ace Trainer
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 4 Crushing Hammer
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 3 Enhanced Hammer
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 2 Switch
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 4 Forest of Giant Plants
Energy: 7
  • 7 Grass Energy
Strategy:

This is definitely not a competitive deck, but I saw Venomoth as I was browsing through the card pool for Standard, and knew I wanted to build a deck with it. In case you don't know what it does, it has an attack for one Energy that makes you opponent flip a coin for each Trainer card they play (including Supporters). If tails, they discard it with no effect. I guess the idea is to make your opponent rage quit to make your opponent burn all of their resources trying to get set up, but there's really not a way to capitalize on your opponent struggles to even play cards from the hand without a back up attacker, which seems to really mess up the flow of the deck. So I guess I'm just going to post this here, and if anyone wants to take it and run with it, be my guest.

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer
Have you tested this deck yet? It seems like it could cause you to deck out before your opponent.
Since the attack causes supporters to not work. They won't be able to mill through the deck to deck out.
You might need an actual attacker to start doing massive damage after you took a few turns to slow ur opponent down.

Mora

Don't Panic
I have played around with it, and there was one game where I decked myself out. There was another game though, where I Lysandre'd a Regice, and my opponent flipped tails on all the Switches and every time he attached an Energy to it, it was immediately hammered away. He decked out, but it took 20 turns.

Do you have any other backup attackers in mind? I tried 2 Sceptile EX with a 1-1 Ariados, but I could never get the Ariados in play.

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer
The problem is that there aren't any strong ex pokemon that use grass or colorless. Shiftry is strong, but it takes a lot of space.
You may want to take this deck to expanded and use laserbank. Take out plant forest and use wally. Take out a shaymin and out in jirachi.

Yo-yos

DP and hoenn era, when tcg was dope
This deck is cute, I'd love to get 2 heads in a row on a roller skates.

Ivy profen this isn't a competitive deck, this is just a silly deck.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
This deck is cute, I'd love to get 2 heads in a row on a roller skates.

Ivy profen this isn't a competitive deck, this is just a silly deck.

Well, to be fair, it is often in people's best interests to make a deck as competitive as possible at least by making improvements, so I'd say any sort of feedback like that of Ivy's would be received gladly.

Yo-yos

DP and hoenn era, when tcg was dope
The first thing mora said about this deck was "This is definitely not a competitive deck". I'm just defending the principles of the person who wants to play it.

Luxray

Aspiring Trainer
Okay, I played around this deck right after it came out, and here's what I found worked best(this is not taking account anything that came out after venemoth.)
I used hypnotoxic lasers, Victrebel, and Dragalge. Basically, not only could they only play about half of their trainer cards, but they also were almost always poisoned and asleep/confused, and they couldn't retreat as long as they were poisoned. This was really fun to watch when someone can't flip a heads for anything, but it also won a good half of the games I played. (it might have just been my opponents though). Although the lasers are gone now, and I think so is dragalge, something like this might still work with all the new cards out there since I tried this. Other things I thought about using were some psychic types like Wobuffet(because of it's ability) and Trevenant(again, the ability.) However, both of those would have to be active to be much use, so I went with the victrebel instead.