Ruling Fossil quest...

iceman86

Aspiring Trainer
Ok.. when I start my game by drawing 7 cards, I have no other pokemons except for Mysterious Fossil and Claw Fossil. Are these cards consider as basic pokemon?

If they are considered as basic pokemon, can we search for them by using trainers like Lanette's Net Search, Great Ball, Dual Ball, Holon Mentor etc?

The new rule which was updated around SS's release (I think) was that if you draw your hand and only have a fossil in there, you are FORCED to play it.

While a Fossil is in play, it counts as a Colourless pokemon and a trainer card. Yet while it is in your deck, a fossil doesnt count as a pokemon, only as a trainer card. So you cannot use Lanette/Great Ball/Mentor/Dual ball, etc to search your deck for them.

ohh is that really?... well i thought of playing fossil pokemon since the new EX LEgend Maker features many cool fossil pokemons... oh well... then it's going to be tough to look for them in the deck ...sigh...

First, fossils are only pokemon IN PLAY. They are not counted as pokemon anywhere else.
If you only get a fossil in your starting 7 cards, you can choise for it to be a mulligan if you so wish so.

I've a question about fossil...
when fossil is in play, it count as both Trainer and Pokemon, right?

then what if an attack/trainer say that we must discard a trainer attached to defending pokemon? (like Nuzleaf LM Plunder attack)
will it discard opponent fossil? (e.g. opponent active is Stage 1 Lileep)

RE:  Fossil quest...

PokemonSteve said:
If you only get a fossil in your starting 7 cards, you can choise for it to be a mulligan if you so wish so
No, this was changed ages ago and they havent included it in the compendium which is a little silly.

As of July 10th, 2005, the following game rules will be in effect for all POP-sanctioned tournaments, including the upcoming 2005 National and World Championships:

1. At the beginning of a game, Fossil Trainer cards are treated as regular Basic Pokémon for the purposes of determining whether a player may mulligan.

This game rule changes the optional mulligan rule found in the EX Sandstorm rulebook, when the player had a choice to shuffle his or her hand back into his or her deck to draw a new hand (if he or she didn’t have any Basic Pokémon but did have one or more Fossil Trainer cards). This does not affect Fossil Trainer cards in any other way – during the game, the only time they are considered Basic Pokémon is when they are in play (and they are always considered to be Trainer cards). This ruling affects Claw Fossil, Mysterious Fossil, and Root Fossil.

2. Each deck must contain at least 1 Basic Pokémon.

A “Basic Pokémon” is considered a Pokémon with “Basic” as the Pokémon’s Evolution Stage. This includes “Baby Pokémon” from expansions prior to EX Ruby & Sapphire but does not include Fossil Trainer cards (Fossil Trainer cards are not considered Basic Pokémon while in a player’s deck).

For MysteryE:

Compendium said:
Q. If I have a Lileep evolved from a Root Fossil in play and my opponent uses ATM-Ice, what happens?
A. ATM-Ice does not remove fossil cards that have already evolved into actual Pokémon. (Apr 14, 2005 PUI Rules Team) [I.e. Nothing happens to Lileep or the fossil underneath it]

Q. If I use the Ancient Technical Machine [Ice] and my opponent has Claw Fossil, Root Fossil, etc. in play are they discarded?
A. Yes, Fossil cards are to be treated as both Trainer Cards and as Pokémon while in play. (Apr 5, 2005 PUI Announcements; Apr 7, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

excuse me guys... umm can i ask what is mulligan exactly?

is it a rule where you can shuffle back your hand that you don't like into your deck(even though you have at least a basic pokemon) and draw a fresh hand of 7 cards??

If you have a basic you must keep your hand, you may be thinking of magic the gathering although in magic you take one fewer cards. and it is referd to as a mulligan.

is that so? i remember once when I play in a league, my opponent showed me his hand and he has a basic which is a Moltres EX. he said he would like to use mulligan to shuffle his hand and draw a fresh hand while I can draw one extra card. he explained to me that this so called mulligan can only be used not more than 5 times per game.

A mulligan is when you draw your starting hand and you get no basic pokemon or fossil cards. Since you cant play anything, you need to re-shuffle your hand and draw a new one.

Yeah, you have to play them even if they are your only basic pokemon. And you can search for them with a trainer card.

Back