Forum Games Resources & General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! Just a small announcement from the staff here. :) Recently there's been an annoying bug in this subforum where only staff members could assign a thread the "Active" tag, which was quite inconvenient for members hosting games. This bug is now fixed!

I couldn't find any rules about hosting, so I assume you just post your game idea. I didn't want to try until this was confirmed, so I thought I'd ask.

I couldn't find any rules about hosting, so I assume you just post your game idea. I didn't want to try until this was confirmed, so I thought I'd ask.
Do you mean you are you looking at posting a game? If you've designed the game and have made the full OP, you can post it as a new thread as a Forum Game and it will go to moderation where the Forum Games mods will decide whether or not it should be posted or if it needs further revision. If you haven't yet made the game but have a concept you'll fiddling with and are looking for some assistance, just shoot myself or another Forum Game mod a PM and we'll be able to help you. :)

Hey guys! <3

We are now looking for WW host apps once again! To submit your applications, please send them to the Forum Games staff. These can be found right at the bottom of the page when viewing the Forum Games subforum, or for an easy list to copy/paste, they are: Athena, bbninjas, Celever, Ice Espeon, Luispipe8, Vom. I guess this would also be a good time to mention that @Brave Vesperia resigned from head of Forum Games to focus on the TCG Marketplace among other things, so Thena is the new head of our subforum. Thank you to Brave for putting in so much time and hard work! :D

As per usual, please remember the following:
1. This is a game, and even though you will be hosting it and not playing, be sure to have some fun yourself! :)

2. You will receive a PM acknowledging your application within 24 hours of you submitting it. When applications close and all of them have been examined by staff, you will then receive another PM notifying you that your application has been accepted, or a PM that your application has been denied with reasoning as to why. Oftentimes this reasoning is simply that you have hosted a werewolf game more recently than another flawless application, as we like to give the whole community equal opportunity to host here. :3

For more detailed information about your werewolf application, click here!

The deadline for werewolf apps will be April 15th at the timestamp of this post. The amount of time hosts have to submit has been shortened so that the chosen hosts have greater notice, as in the past they have been kinda rushed to get their game refined and posted.

Last edited:
Hey folks, just letting you know that due to unforeseen circumstances we cannot partake in the the Mafia Championship Season 3 anymore. Sorry about getting anyone's hopes up. n~n

This looks more like an announcement thread than a discussion thread rn. Let's actually discuss something! n_n

What do you guys think about complex werewolf games vs more basic games? Be it complexity with mechanics or roles, a lot of PokéBeach werewolf has started introducing more and more layers to the core of the game. Do you prefer more basic games where you know what's going on, games with tried and true "new mechanics" or ambitious games which turns everything onto its head? Or do you like all of them in moderation? Post below, and I'll share my thoughts later on too. ^.^

A balance of both, really. Personally, what I did in my game with the Spells and them being publically announced was a new mechanic but wasn't as drastic as the re-class from Vom's game, or the dimensions from ninjas', so it kept the game simple and able to understand quickly while also keeping things fresh.

ANNOUNCEMENT: The deadline for the WW apps will be extended for an extra week!

This is because recently, PB has seen a few more complex games, and the apps that have been submitted also are complex. We're a bit concerned that too many complex games in a row may be problematic, so we're taking the week to look at the responses to Celever's discussion topic to decide whether you guys are fine with having many complex games consecutively, or whether you guys would like a breather in a more standard WW game in the queue to break the complex games up.

While I like ambitious games and simple games, I feel like it's best to strive for a balance between the two. The best example of this that comes to the top of my head is the dual scum team mechanic from WW28. Up until that point, there hadn't been multiple scum teams competing against each other. in Pokebeach. This made the feature unique, added depth to an otherwise simple game, and affected the gameplay.

Also, if anyone wants to co-host, PM me. I'll send you my plan for my game.

Last edited:
I like complex stuff, but it needs to be executed right. Change for the sake of change is only going to make the game confusing, and at the end of the day, it still has to be and play like a mafia game (why we call it Werewolf here I have no idea). It's a game, and games are meant to be played. So if your game is to complex to be simply played, it's not going to work and you should probably re-evaluate.

I kinda feel like having a simple game after a series of complex games is going to feel like a let down and get kinda boring after having so many complex games. I know one of the setups I felt like creating for my application was simple and it felt so unsatisfying to create because it just seemed uninteresting. As a host, you need to consider your game as a commitment, and your engagement with your creation is just as required as you expect the players to be.

(why we call it Werewolf here I have no idea).

Tradition. The first person to host here called it Werewolf. Everyone after him called it Werewolf and the name stuck. WW14 was the first game to use actual werewolves as the scum team.

I enjoy standard role madness games. Items have been an occasional thing ever since I introduced them in WW14 and it's nice to see that not every host has used them. I also enjoy new ideas when they are done well.

To put my opinion into the basket, I'm one of those that likes a good balance between both complex and standard games. My favourite games to play generally feature a combination of a simple-to-grasp mechanic, non-seer role madness and easy-to-understand flavour. I do like having breaks between game with particularly complex mechanics too, since I'm quite partial to the standard role madness game.

The talk about role madness games brings up another point about game complexity too.

I don't know how many people here realize it, but by having role madness games, our games are much more complex than other mafia forums out there. We don't have the standard high number of vanillas to make the game simpler (WW22 was the first to use vanillas and I can't remember other games that have used them). I think we as a community tend to favor the complex setups more because we're so accustomed to role madness. Most games hosted elsewhere are also much smaller and shorter (other communities I play on have a standardized 48 hour day/night length, and they have around 12 players).

This brings up another point of discussion: how do you guys feel about vanilla roles?

Vts are good. Pb is spoiled.

We've become so used to everyone getting roles that VTs feel pointless. I'm personally against VTs unless they either start with an ability and lose it later or start without one as a VT and gain one later, just so everyone gets to contribute more than their vote. For instance, the Yoshi role from Melee is technically a VT, but Yoshi's abilities activate upon death.

Honestly I feel like I definitely prefer more complex games over basic ones at this stage in my mafia life. I've been playing the game on forums for over 4 years, so bare bones mechanics oftentimes don't interest me as much as games which push the boat out. Brand new never-before-seen mechanics interest me the most for sure, or using already established mechanics and using those mechanics to interact with the actual roles in interesting and unique ways. I do feel that as a community having beginner-friendly games from time to time is a positive, though. On another forum which a couple of PB users frequent they have an annual large-scale mafia game with 60-80 players, marketing it as beginner-friendly, as this oftentimes will get users to stay and take part in more mafia games. Having a similar event here could possibly be neat, but I don't know how many members of our site would be interested in it. Unless there is notable interest from newer players, I feel like sticking to more complicated and imaginative games is the way to go at this moment in time. Either way, two games with the exact same setup mechanically and role-wise will always play out totally differently, because mafia is at the end of the day a player-run game. As such, I don't think the mechanics matter too much most of the time so long as the host can keep up with and run the game perfectly.

On the topic of VTs, I almost feel like there's enough creativity in mafia to have near-vanilla roles for balance purposes which still makes the player feel more powerful than a VT. VT is basically taboo in this community, but weak roles are accepted as balance is important. And on top of that, enjoyment of the players matters more than the objective success of the game IMO -- if the players don't like VTs, the game being a little unbalanced is absolutely fine. My favourite game on this site to play in was still Luis' Harry Potter game and that had a few host screwups from time to time -- but that's what made it so fun, and the setup was designed imaginatively in terms of roles. These things matter more than balance, so I feel like we should stick to role madness on this site.

I've played a few games as vanilla on another site, and didn't mind it at all. However the major difference is that day phases there are about 24 hours, compared to the 120 hours on PB. My main concern with vanillas on PB is that our activity doesn't really support it (so you're not going to enjoy the game unless you're participating in the discussion a lot), and that people might lose interest.

This is also something I've been wondering about.

Why have them so long? Is it just tradition?
I think that day periods here are so long because if we were to change it now it would screw with our meta quite a lot. Some of our players can only check the forums for 20 minutes every 24 hours but since our days are so long that's actually sufficient, whereas shorter days would alienate them. I think that 72 or 96 hour days would be an interesting experiment at some point, but right now we're just trying to build our numbers up to combat inactivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back