Forum Games Resources & General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
This thread includes useful resources for members using the Forum Games forum. You may also use this thread to discuss anything Forum Game related, such as ongoing/finished games, ideas for future games, offer feedback and suggestions, requesting co-hosts/back-up hosts, and anything else. This thread should also be used to discuss games with separate Master Documents, such as Werewolf and Roleplaying Games.

Resources:
Werewolf Master Document
Roleplaying Games Master Document
HOWTO: Make Forum Games
A Guide to Balancing Werewolf Games

The most recent Forum Games Resources & General Discussion Thread can be found here: [link]. This thread is purely for archival purposes. :) ~ bbninjas

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: Forum Games General Discussion

Has anyone tried to do the Survivor Forum Game before?

If you're referring to Survivor, the TV show with the challenges for elimination, then we do have something along those lines here called The Challenge. The current season of The Challenge is winding down, as it's reaching its last few remaining players.

How does Challenge work. I might as well just write down what happens in Survivor, and see what the differences are.

16 people participate in the game. The are split into 2 teams of 8 people or 4 teams of 4 people. Each weak(In the game time) the teams face a challenge. Winning team(s) get immunity, and the team that loses has to vote one of there teammates off. Outside of the game people are freely allowed to talk about the game either starting allainces, or trying to decide the weakest link. When 6 people go the teams are dissolved, and the game is launched into the stage 2 which is all solo. The next 7 people out make up the jury who decide who the winner is out of the last 3 members.

Additional Rules and Things:
-Ties are broken by who has received the most votes towards them before this vote. Some people have them revote, and if that fails they choose a number and who ever picks the number closest is out of the competition like in Survivor Marquesas where they pulled Purple Rocks.
-Anyone who breaks rules twice are thrown out of game.

Yeah, that's more or less just like The Challenge. You can look at the currently-running Challenge 5 to get more details about ours if you'd like.

Is there any chance of bringing back old classics such as 'The Ban Game' or 'Count to 50 Before a Mod Posts'?

That is fine! We are allowing posting games again, but with certain limitations. So they don't take over the forum we don't want too many posting games happening simultaneously. We don't have a set amount, so it's up to the moderators' discretion to decide when it gets "too much". There has to be a time limit to the game, so they do not go on forever. This also allows other posting games to replace others. There is no fixed time for this either. It depends on the nature of the game and the amount of proposed games on the waiting list.

If you propose a game a moderator will contact you and inform you about the options! :)

Edit: I updated the Forum Games rules and removed the "No posting games allowed." rule.

...why?

... why not? o.o

As long as the amount of threads are kept under control it shouldn't be an issue. I asked the moderators to make all games that require signing up sticky during the sign up period. This way they won't be spammed out of sight before people can sign up for them and they will have full attention. Once the games have started people that are in it will be subscribed to the thread and can easily find it.

Sorry. I'm just against these types of games. I like seeing games that require more than a pulse to play, and that's what we've been getting lately. I didn't think that yppy games were needed anymore.

It's not needed, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed. They can be fun and I don't see a reason to not allow them.

Athena said:
Yeah, that's more or less just like The Challenge. You can look at the currently-running Challenge 5 to get more details about ours if you'd like.

I'd really love to participate in this next season. If there is a next season. I'm assuming there is going to be a next season. When do you think that would be? Survivor is like my favorite (only) reality show ever.

Drohn said:
It's not needed, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed. They can be fun and I don't see a reason to not allow them.

We've learned our yppy errors from hurt/heal :p (gawd that was a hot mess of a game)

PMJ said:
Sorry. I'm just against these types of games. I like seeing games that require more than a pulse to play, and that's what we've been getting lately. I didn't think that yppy games were needed anymore.

I agree with PMJ here honestly. Games which require more thought to play in are good, games which require posting only a number... Not so much.

I've been thinking since a while ago, and especially since the downfall of my gen7 project, to run a project runway style game but with fakemon, sort of like the CAC contest. I think you guys have your hands full of games now, but if you ever want to give it a try, just let me know.

Celever said:
PMJ said:

I agree with PMJ here honestly. Games which require more thought to play in are good, games which require posting only a number... Not so much.

I disagree about the counting game as it helps to connect the member and the mod community and provides harmless fun which doesn't hurt anyone.

professorlight said:
I've been thinking since a while ago, and especially since the downfall of my gen7 project, to run a project runway style game but with fakemon, sort of like the CAC contest. I think you guys have your hands full of games now, but if you ever want to give it a try, just let me know.

How does it work?

Actually the moderators and regular members in Forum Games on this site are like besties with each other; if you have Skype, you probably have Drohn and KoN in your contacts.

And prof light just pointed out the problem here. Her game looks legitimately interesting and fun whether you're planning on taking part or not, and I'm sure that the vast majority of users here would prefer Pokebeach's version of CAP with a competition element (which I think is what he meant) than "post a number. Wait for two more people to post, and then post another one! :D"

I'm sorry, but pc++ games can be good for Forum Game communities which are just starting out. We now play more established games like Werewolf and Avalon here (Imma post in the Avalon thread about why it isn't updated. Sorry about the wait guys :() and pc++ games, which don't appeal to many users, are now taking up the slots of games which people are more interested in playing in.

Edit: I decided to make a survey to find out the community's general consensus. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VV9ZFKG

Note that by "well established games" I mean anything no pc++/YPPY/whatever you want to call them. There's only one question and I don't think an account is necessary, so it won't take much time to complete the survey. I'll give it 48 hours or so and then I'll post the results here! :)

Oh yeah, and it's all totally anonymous. Even if you use an account with your PB name on surveymonkey I won't tell anyone who it is.

YPPY games don't hurt anyone as long as they are kept under control. They are simply for fun. It's not Brain Games or YPPY games. It is Brain Games and YPPY games.

Here's the reason I oppose YPPY games:

A couple of years ago the whole game corner was deleted and gotten rid of because it was being a distraction from the rest of the forums which are honestly more important. The Game Corner being a distraction hadn't been a problem until YPPY was revived. YPPY will consume your time intro something that isn't worth anything because it's fast and you can always be posting. With the well thought out game like The Challenge and Werewolf it was less of a distraction because you didn't need to be posting 24/7 and it was something that was at least worth something unlike posting a number or some random reason to ban people. In essence, I fear we repeat the past by bringing back YPPY which as we've seen before causes the whole Game Corner to go into Jeopardy.

Camoclone said:
YPPY games don't hurt anyone as long as they are kept under control. They are simply for fun. It's not Brain Games or YPPY games. It is Brain Games and YPPY games.

I'm going to add on to what TheGuy said as a direct response to this post, but I'm just going to say that real games and pc++ don't work very well together. You sift through pc++ games too quickly; if we count to 50 that game is over, and a new one is posted. This is then detrimental to the well-thought out games with actual design to them because some people can't focus on both games. Because the pc++ games are fast and active threads which keep a person's attention shoukd they choose to take part in it, which means that they can't post or focus on the well thought out games to the extent of not even signing up for them. This means that either the quality of the larger games will have to be decreased heavily, or the larger games won't get enough interest and will be ceased completely; this has happened on lots of sites before. This subforum isn't very active as is save for about 20-25 users. We really don't need this level of distraction from the main games or they will die out immediately. With the larger games dying out, this forum will become entirely pc++ games which will eventually lead to the sub forum being deleted entirely. Not only has this happened on many other sites, it has actually happened on this site in the past. This is why I am against pc++ games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back