'Forbidden Light,' Japan's SM6 Set!

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
The card does not specify basic energy anywhere on it only W, so when attaching a rainbow, or unit or DDE, would that not activate it? Would DDE activate it twice, since it can be considered 2 water? What about prism star super boost energy? Could it heal 20, or even 80 if you have 3 stage 2s up?

Also, saying DDE is out of standard doesnt really mean anything, as this can still be used in expanded, and in Japan, where I play, DDE is still in "standard." Thanks for the reminder though!
Has to be a basic water. Double dragon and such are not a type until after you attach them to a pokemon. So the ability would not trigger.

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
like everything about this card is bad. I don't know why they design rares that are obviously bulk tier quality and bother revealing them before the setlist. The ability could be "heal all damage from this pokemon when you attach a water energy" and it still wouldn't be anything special.

Xeynid

Aspiring Trainer
The concept of the card is really cool. Counter energy picks up a lot of slack.

The main issue is that 160 is a pretty useless number nowadays. Either you hit 120 and 2-shot everything in the format or you hit 210 and try to one-shot things. 160/190 is at a weird middle ground where you're paying for more damage but aren't getting anything out of it.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
Unpopular opinion: I'm glad 2 energy type dragons are still a thing. Yeah the others were likely done because the alternate type cards were designed at the same time, as in it was pre-planned there'd be two versions of the same card. While yeah it probably hampers them in standard if you play competitively but competitive is just boring as hell and stunts creativity.

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
I agree that 2 energy dragons are a good thing, I just wish that they would account for the fact that they're making a fundamentally very inconsistent card and gave us a reason to run it. The level of power is far too low for the double consistency hit you take with a card like this. It's both a stage 2 and a dual cost card with a conditional attack and a highly conditional ability that will almost never actually do anything (ie turning a 2HKO into a 3HKO). This is basically the definition of the kind of card you do not want to run.

They need to give dragon cards a power premium or some sort of extra utility for having these badly structured costs, and they've very rarely successfully done this. There are about two serious decks in the game that actually use dual type dragons with basic energy, fluffychomp and ray/eels, both of them are basically relegated to legacy since there is no way either can compete in the current expanded meta.

KazamEsper

Aspiring Trainer
Garchomp, Alolan Exeggutor, Dialga and Palkia got to avoid the dual-Energy requirement that has plagued Dragon Pokemon (especially since DDE rotated). Why doesn't Goodra get to use only W Energy or only Y Energy?
Super Boost Energy and Counter Energy replace DDE. Plus we still havent seen any of the Special Energy for this set yet. My guess is that the final Unit Energy Dark/Fighting/Fairy (DFY) will be in Forbidden Light. Plus i don't think DDE would work with the ability as it must be already "attached" to Goodra to produce any color. It only produces (C) before attached to a dragon type.

Kapu Riki

Spilling the T, sipping the Tapu Cocoa
I think this set gives us a few non-GX centered decks to build for fun. Nothing to call home to mother about but something to have fun with friends. Goodra and Tyrantrum are two decks I want to play for fun. I also am gonna have fun trying to make Xerneas-GX a thing.

AmbientDinosaur

Aspiring Trainer
I think it is a shame that the Division Sliggoo doesn't really have a good Goodra to go with it. I'm slightly hoping that the Dragon Storm set will have a Goodra-GX though, like how some GXs appeared in the set after the regular card appeared.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member

FA Zygarde, Ultra Necrozma, Heliolisk

Hitting 190-200 is passable since there are Pokemon that sit in that range, but unfortunately a slap in the face since 210 is a much, much better number to hit.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Super Boost Energy and Counter Energy replace DDE. Plus we still havent seen any of the Special Energy for this set yet. My guess is that the final Unit Energy Dark/Fighting/Fairy (DFY) will be in Forbidden Light. Plus i don't think DDE would work with the ability as it must be already "attached" to Goodra to produce any color. It only produces (C) before attached to a dragon type.
I myself have spotted such an energy in the livestream.

Kyrushi

Squirrel
I love Goodra so much but they really don't give it much love in the card game, huh? Man most of this set in general is pretty garbage only because of how obscenely strong previous cards are in comparison.