• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Flynoir

ChandeTelle130

Aspiring Trainer
Hello guys, so today I came up with a deck that really impressed me: Flygon Dusknoir.
Bassicaly the idea is to use Flygon's Ability combined with Dusknoir's and get exact KO's on any Pokemon, and use Celebi EX's Ability to attack with Vibrava to make the spread more efficient. So here's my list:

Pokemon: 20
4-3-4 Flygon
3-1-3 Dusknoir
2 Celebi EX

Trainers: 25
Items: 16
3 Rare Candy
4 Pokemon Catcher
3 Switch
2 Max Potion
3 Pokemon Communication
1 Super Rod

Supporters: 9
4 N
3 Juniper
2 Skyla

Energy: 15
7 {G} Energy
5 {F} Energy
3 {C}{C} Energy
Help is needed and need some advices, thank you all :D

it's simple.
but I just don't think the damage output on this deck is that great.
celebi is easy catcher bait for keldeo's and landorus. easy 1/3 of the game.
and without celebi on the field, flygon needs 4 energy to attack, with no acceleration at all in this deck.
very tough play, as well as when he get's ko'd you have to come up with another 4 energy on another flygon.
not to mention if you max potion one of them. that could be nearly 12 energy.
even with DCE that is still 6 turns of energy attachment wasted. flygon isn't that good right now. it could be possible for the future though.

ashtavakra said:
it's simple.
and without celebi on the field, flygon needs 4 energy to attack, with no acceleration at all in this deck.
very tough play, as well as when he get's ko'd you have to come up with another 4 energy on another flygon.
even with DCE that is still 6 turns of energy attachment wasted. flygon isn't that good right now. it could be possible for the future though.
You don't use Flygon for it's attack, Flygon decks should only be used if you can continously use Flygon's ability every turn including T2, and never stop swarming.

For this deck, remove Celibi and all the energy and just focus on recovery and spamming Flygon's ability. Use more Switch, Max Potion, Rare Candy, Skyla, ect.
If you want to run any energy, use {D} and Sableye to get back Catchers, Max Potions ect. Although Landorus EX with {F} energy may also work.

Keeper of Night said:
ashtavakra said:
it's simple.
You don't use Flygon for it's attack, Flygon decks should only be used if you can continously use Flygon's ability every turn including T2, and never stop swarming.

For this deck, remove Celibi and all the energy and just focus on recovery and spamming Flygon's ability. Use more Switch, Max Potion, Rare Candy, Skyla, ect.
If you want to run any energy, use {D} and Sableye to get back Catchers, Max Potions ect.

So the basis of the deck is to hope you're opponent doesn't play only 1-2 ex's and smack you? ludacris..

ashtavakra said:
So the basis of the deck is to hope you're opponent doesn't play only 1-2 ex's and smack you? ludacris..

:Ninja
see the edit on my last post
And also, that is why you use Max Potion, Catcher, and Sableye. How many pokemon can OHKO Flygon? Raquaza EX, Garchomp, and Hydriegon are all I can think of that are actually used.

Ok, let's see. You're ALL telling me that I should play this but without attacking? I don't think Sableye as a good idea, but I'll try it. :D

ashtavakra said:
it's simple.

I don't think you get the idea. You don't attack with Flygon, you attack with Vibrava, that's why Celebi is in here...

ashtavakra said:
i still think a good player can easily out play this deck with 1 mewtwo and 1 darkrai.

They could, but then you might as well change the deck to EXs/Dusknoir which is probally the better deck anyway.

Keeper of Night said:
ashtavakra said:
i still think a good player can easily out play this deck with 1 mewtwo and 1 darkrai.

They could, but then you might as well change the deck to EXs/Dusknoir which is probally the better deck anyway.

yep, that is exactly what I was trying to get at.
The idea is neat. But it just won't be competitive.

At first glance, it appears you intend to use Vibrava's Sand Pulse attack (of your active Flygon) via Celebi EX's Ability. You'll inflict damage onto the defending Poké, as well as spread damage onto your opponent's benched Poké. On top of all that, you'll also get the added damage counter drop via Flygon's Sand Slammer. Nice deck concept.

As one who has built and successfully played a Flygon deck, following are some suggestions:

-7 G energy,
+1 DC energy,
+4 F energy. You have no energy attachment acceleration abilities; so, your opponent, chances are, would not give you the opportunity to fully load a Flygon with energy. Secondly, Flygon's attack doesn't really compliment the deck's intended spread strategy (my assumption). Hence, I believe these G energy slots could serve you better in other areas.

-1 Dusknoir,
-1 Duskull. I've found a 2-1-2 Duknoir line to be quite sufficient. Plus, you really don't want to start with a Duskull - no surprise later. Since you need some more basic Poké, following are a few alternatives to consider:
  • Ditto. This Poké can "mask" what you might play next. No energy re-mix required.
  • Emolga. A 70 HP, free retreating basic Poké has a Call for Family attack (for just C energy cost). No energy re-mix required.
+1 Vibrava. I suggest you max these since this is your primary attacker.

-2 Max Potion. IMHO, Max Potions are ineffective in this deck. Expect your Poké to be 1HKOd because of other mainstream Poké being able to 1HKO them due to your Poké weakness.

-1 Pokémon Catcher. In this deck's case, you are not primarily gusting an opponent's benched Poké to the active spot to KO it. I believe one will tend to do this more as a defensive action to buy you time and/or forcing your opponent to have the Switch. Also, since you are spreading damage, dropping damage counters, and moving damage counters around, none of your opponent's Poké can avoid damage infliction. Lastly, with the popularity of Keldeo EX, its Ability will just transfer the defending Poké back to the bench. So, your need for Catchers is not as great.

-1 Switch. I believe 2 are sufficient.

+3 Crushing Hammer. These will help slow your opponent's energy build-up, especially if he/she does have any type of energy attachment acceleration.

-2 Skyla,
+1 Computer Search,
+3 Cheren. I believe you need more card drawing support.

Regarding game strategy: you will some tough match-ups with the tier 1 decks (e.g., Blastoise-Keldeo EX, Hydreigon-Darkrai EX, Eels-Raquaza / Mewtwo EX / Tornadus EX, etc.) since they have big HP basic that can take the damage. Unfortunately, you must expose your Celebi EX in order to really leverage your main attacker and Sand Slammer together. On the other hand, if you can just attack with Vibrava and get away with it (lol), do so!

Your opponents will figure out the key to defeating this deck is KOing Dusknoir. So, spread early and often. You may even need to sacrifice a Flygon or two before you catch up in prizes. Hopefully, you can play Dusknoir as a "suprise" in order to KO a critical opponent Poké and/or multiple opponent's Poké.

Another key concern I have in playing this deck is being able to take enough prizes within the game time limit. So, you'll need to be mindful of the clock.

I hope these comments helped. Have fun!

Follow-on edits/comments:

11/21 - I forgot to mention another cool tactic: With Celebi EX in play, you can also use Trapinch's attack (of your active Flygon), Smithereen Smash, to possibly remove an energy from the defending Poké. One more "trick" in the bag (while you're perhaps waiting to get 3 energy onto your active Flygon to attack with Vibrava).

Listen to Tuxedo if you want to play this deck with Dusknoir, I myself see this deck to be way better without the whole Dusknoir thing. straight Flygon (with Celebi ofc) seems to be working out better for me since it is faster and hits your opponents Pokémon for a lot of dmg early on in the game.

I playtested the revised version of this deck against a Hydreigon-Darkrai EX deck. I just played only 3 games before wanting to make further changes in order to increase it competitiveness. I lost all 3 games; my opponent's onslaught typically started by t3 when he finally got a Hydreigon and a loaded Darkrai EX into play.

Two things became quite clear during those games (assume both players have full benches): damage output/turn of Hydreigon-Darkrai EX (like other top decks) is greater than Flygon. Also, the Flygon deck does not have the durability of the "big" basic decks. It takes too long to KO a single Darkrai EX (ignore recoverability like Max Potions, SSUs, etc.). When you do, that Darkrai EX may have already taken 3 prizes and keep in mind the Celebi EX would have 3 damage counters on it from a Night Spear's splash damage for a future KO...

Some other observations/thoughts:
  • Celebi EX is more of a liability than asset, IMHO. These Poké could be replaced with Giant Capes to possibly keep attacking Vibravas around for more than 1 turn.
  • The Crushing Hammers were a big help early game (when I flipped heads)! A 4th should possibly be added. Enhanced Hammers too?
  • A t2, loaded Vibrava (without Celebi EX) is amazing, especially when you can attack with it twice.
  • Those turns where just Sand Slammer was used to drop damage counters could not get sufficient quantities of damage counters into play fast enough (i.e., within 30 minute game limit).
So, with all that being said, did you ever consider running Accelgor (DaX) with Flygon? Accelgor's Deck and Cover attack inflicts 50 damage, poisons and paralyzes the defending Poké. Then you shuffle it back into your deck! Of course, now you promote Flygon for Sand Slammer! This combo, FlyGor, may be a better competitive option. Thoughts?

ChandeTelle130 said:
I have also thinked about Flygon Raticate, but I think Raticate it's just too slow to set up.
Agreed. I've only seen Raticate work "best" when there was type of energy attachment and with Ditto to hide the forthcoming, low HP Rattatas.

TuxedoBlack said:
So, with all that being said, did you ever consider running Accelgor (DaX) with Flygon? Accelgor's Deck and Cover attack inflicts 50 damage, poisons and paralyzes the defending Poké. Then you shuffle it back into your deck! Of course, now you promote Flygon for Sand Slammer! This combo, FlyGor, may be a better competitive option.
Following is a deck version of FlyNoir with Accelgor I've run:

Pokémon (21)
3 - Accelgor (DaX)
2 - Dusknoir
2 - Duskull
1 - Emolga (DE 45)
4 - Flygon
3 - Shelmet
4 - Trapinch
2 - Vibrava

Trainers (29)
4 - Cheren
1 - Computer Search
4 - Crushing Hammer
2 - Enhanced Hammer
4 - N
3 - Professor Juniper
1 - Random Receiver
4 - Rare Candy
1 - Super Rod
2 - Switch

Energy (10)
4 - DC
6 - F

Some comments regarding this particular build:
  • 2 Accelgors would be sufficient in many games, s long as you have access to them (i.e., 1 is not prized). 3 Accelgors greatly improves consistency.
  • I initially just started with a 1-0-1 Dusknoir line, but found that I didn't have access to both Dusknoir and Duskull often enough. So again for consistency, I tried and found the 2-0-2 line is much better. Another interesting point: I've found my opponents would immediately focus on Dusknoir or Duskull when played. Knowing that can provide you an "edge" sometimes during the game. He/she will commit resources to KO either Dusknoir or Duskull "immediately." But, he/she may not have the resources readily available to KO the 2nd!
  • 4 Flygons? 3 would probably be sufficient. After more playtesting, I'd might replace the 4th Flygon with another Super Rod, a 4th Pokémon Communication, a 2nd Emolga, or a 2nd Random Receiver.
  • The Hammers greatly improves the decks competitiveness. And yes, there are NO Catchers in the deck! With all the damage spreading, no opponent's Poké can "hide." Room had to made for the Hammers; so, to me, this was an obvious choice.
  • Pokémon Communication was chosen over Ultra Ball since I saw no real advantage in discarding cards when i was not retrieving cards from the discard pile. Plus, Shelmet's (both NV and DaX versions) Retreat Cost is 3 energy (for just a 60 HP Poké?? - very odd). Ultra Balls should be playtested, because they do help "thin out" your deck, increasing your chances of drawing into the "preferred" cards remaining in your deck. If I do switch to UBs, then I'll definitely add a 2nd Super Rod.
  • 6 F energy are useful to either fuel Vibrava's Sand Pulse attack or to retreat an active Flygon. There may be some flexibility here to reduce this count to add1-2 (?) other card(s) like another Super Rod, a 4th Pokémon Communication, a 2nd Emolga, or a 2nd Random Receiver.
Thoughts?

Back