Article Flying Blades and Pointy Slashes: Insight on Mega Gallade-EX

Awesome to see a great Gallade article Luis! I found it somewhat amusing that you didn't think of bats firstly, but oh well, that happens to me way too often xD

I find it a bit strange you chose to have a total of 4 Valleys, however. What's your reasoning behind that?

Trust me, I was as amused as you are. :p

The reason why I chose to max out the Stadium count was to:
a) Make sure you could ALWAYS attack as soon as possible.
b) (Main Reason) With both Rayquaza decks and some Fighting ones using 4-3 Stadiums, you're guaranteed to win the Stadium wars if you know when to play one. If your area lacks decks like this, though, you could drop the 4th one if you think it's getting in the way.

ME) Oh boy! I can't wait to see what kind of deck Luis will write about! Maybe it'll be a cool gimmick deck like Medicham or Togekiss!

POKEBEACH) Here's Mega Gallade, scrubs. Enjoy.

ME) "I never would have guessed..."

Great article! I feel largely the same about Gallade in the current format (I haven't even thought about rotation yet). I think it's a consistent deck, especially the Crobat version, and it's very good at what it does. However, it just can't compete with Rayquaza's damage output and like many decks is hurt greatly by disruption-heavy Seismitoad decks. Gallade may have a niche role in the format as a Night March / Flareon counter, but I don't think it's going to shine until we are free of problems like Mewtwo and Hypnotoxic Laser.

Thanks for the deck. I was building the 'Bats version with Scoops but it felt clunky and unreliable. Removing all that tech to free up space for other stuff should help.

ME) Oh boy! I can't wait to see what kind of deck Luis will write about! Maybe it'll be a cool gimmick deck like Medicham or Togekiss!

POKEBEACH) Here's Mega Gallade, scrubs. Enjoy.

ME) "I never would have guessed..."

lol, it's just my first article, Gadget. :p I can assure you that those decks you said are the type of decks I usually like to play, so you might see one of them (or a similar, but whacky one) in my next Article. ;)

Great article! I feel largely the same about Gallade in the current format (I haven't even thought about rotation yet). I think it's a consistent deck, especially the Crobat version, and it's very good at what it does. However, it just can't compete with Rayquaza's damage output and like many decks is hurt greatly by disruption-heavy Seismitoad decks. Gallade may have a niche role in the format as a Night March / Flareon counter, but I don't think it's going to shine until we are free of problems like Mewtwo and Hypnotoxic Laser.

Precisely. While the lasers haven't been such an issue so far, the sleep really is annoying if you don't find a switch that turn. :/ Already waiting for rotation to happen.

Thanks for the deck. I was building the 'Bats version with Scoops but it felt clunky and unreliable. Removing all that tech to free up space for other stuff should help.

I understand you. My process of deck building consists of me grabbing all my cards and separate those that could work in the deck, and then taking out cards until I reached 60 and trying to find a consistent list, and in the end I was left out at 64, so the Scoops had to go. Fortunately, though, I'm glad I did, because the deck moves way better! :D

Have you considered using the Trevenant from XY instead of bats? you can still deal 20s of damage out to benched pokemon, and if you start with a trev you can be blocking their items while you power up(which can help against M Rayquaza-EX)

Have you considered using the Trevenant from XY instead of bats? you can still deal 20s of damage out to benched pokemon, and if you start with a trev you can be blocking their items while you power up(which can help against M Rayquaza-EX)

But, you might ask, how can you consistently damage your opponent’s Pokemon while not wasting a turn attacking (to avoid using fragile things like Spinda and cards that would erase that damage, like Rough Seas)?

This, basically. It's better to not waste resources and time setting up attackers and to set up the Gallades as soon as possible. Besides, as stated above, spreading the damage by attacking is completely inefficient for cards like Rough Seas or the occasional, but extremely rare Fresh Water Set. With the Bats, you make sure the damage stays there until you attack, since it's all done in the same turn.[/QUOTE]

Wow this was a really insightful article! The very first deck I was excited to make once I heard about "Emerald Break" was an M Gallade deck. I had a lot of trouble creating a solid list for it and I've since gone over to the M Dragon Ray side, but I know now how to make the deck if I were to in the future. Thanks again!

I've just tried the deck myself. It can get clunky quite often so I made a few changes:

I cut down 1 colress in favor of a Shauna, or it could be the 4th N. I don't know if it's my luck, but I keep drawing colress in the begining when I really need to set up and neither player has too many pokemon on their bench. Colress is only good in the late game and you can always VS seeker it back when needed.

I added a couple Sacred ashes because I found myself with a hand full of big bats, no baby bats to put them on and a Prof. Sycamore as my supporter for the turn. Since I didn't want to discard most of my bats I couldn't play that Sycamore, but knowing you have a way to recover them makes the decision to discard them a lot easier.

Another option could be Lysandre's trump card, but most of the time, you don't want to waste your supporter to shuffle back your crobats. Also, you want to have a way to draw into your bats during the same turn you recovered them.

I added the 4th ultra ball because it can get me Jirachi when I don't have a supporter for the turn. This is specially important when you don't have any computer search and have to cope with Dowsing Machine.

I also considered target whistle as a tech to get an extra prize in some match ups, getting back a low hp basic pokemon to kill it the same turn can be fun, but it's not worth the deck space.

I cut down 1 colress in favor of a Shauna, or it could be the 4th N. I don't know if it's my luck, but I keep drawing colress in the begining when I really need to set up and neither player has too many pokemon on their bench. Colress is only good in the late game and you can always VS seeker it back when needed.
I get your point with Colress vs Shauna. I personally don't really like to play more than a single Colress in most of my builds. However, filling the bench in this deck is extremely easy, so chances are your Colress hits 5 as early as T1. That's up to personal preferences, though, so I totally respect that.

I added a couple Sacred ashes because I found myself with a hand full of big bats, no baby bats to put them on and a Prof. Sycamore as my supporter for the turn. Since I didn't want to discard most of my bats I couldn't play that Sycamore, but knowing you have a way to recover them makes the decision to discard them a lot easier.

Another option could be Lysandre's trump card, but most of the time, you don't want to waste your supporter to shuffle back your crobats. Also, you want to have a way to draw into your bats during the same turn you recovered them.

Well, both Sacred Ash and Trump Card are indeed options to take into consideration. If I was to add a Trump Card right now, it'd be for the 4th Valley, since with Trump Card you'll re-use them indefinitely.

I added the 4th ultra ball because it can get me Jirachi when I don't have a supporter for the turn. This is specially important when you don't have any computer search and have to cope with Dowsing Machine.

I... don't really get what you mean here, there are 4 Ultra Ball in my list. :p However, I'd definitely drop the count to 3 and remove something else (maybe that 4th Valley) for 2 Repeat Balls. They also work wonders here, but aren't as consistent.

I also considered target whistle as a tech to get an extra prize in some match ups, getting back a low hp basic pokemon to kill it the same turn can be fun, but it's not worth the deck space.

Well, yeah, that too. I mean, this deck can use a lot of techs, but there's no room for them, sadly. :( I'd rather have a consistent and reliable list than a tech-y, clunky one.

Have you considered using Gourgeist XY? Erie Voice drops 2 counters on everything, and even could help drop a single targets HP significally.

Have you considered using Gourgeist XY? Erie Voice drops 2 counters on everything, and even could help drop a single targets HP significally.
Once again, I HAD thought of most, if not all, Pokemon that deck spread damage, but it's highly unreliable to waste an attack on that when you can use it any time through your turn AND still attack, which is what Crobat and even Forretress do.

Do you think Absol from Roaring Skies would make the deck any stronger if you ran it alongside Forretress? I feel like it could be an alternative to the Bats, but it would also have issues. You'd be able to take advantage of being able to spread damage across the opponent's field, while also focusing damage if you want to, and be able to focus damage faster than the Bats. It would probably affect consistency and Absol would have to share bench space with Forretress though.

The problem with Absol is that it can be a pain to start with as its ability is not activated, and then there is a huge increase of decks using Silent Lab, which would render Absol useless half the time.

That is true. Its a big liability if you have to start with it. And it doesn't get any benefit from any Psychic support that you'd be playing.

Back