Flygon (Ex: Holon Phantoms)

Holy Star

Pokémon TCG player and card faker
007.jpg

Average Unlimted Rating: 2.51/10

Average Modified Rating: 6.94/10

Average Limited Rating: 7.98/10

I've been really busy, okay on to the review.

Today it's Delta Flygon from EX Holon Phantoms.

Analysis

Flygon has good HP for a Stage 2 pokemon. It's weakness to colorless is expected since it's a Dragon type pokemon. Having two resistance is great especially Fighting and Lightning because those two types are very popular right now. The 2 retreat cost is also pretty standard. His Poke-Power is completely awesome because it's basically a second energy attachment per turn. His Swift attack is nice cause it goes through everything, the energy cost is standard too.

Combos

Flygon would fit great into any pokemon deck that runs Delta types. However there are two decks that I would run Flygon in, Metanite and Tyranimece. With Flygon in Tyranimence you could attach an energy card from your hand then use Magcargo's Smooth over to put a basic energy on top of your deck then use Tyranitar's Power to attach another energy, use Flygon to attach another energy, and then use Salamence first attack to get an energy card out of you discard pile and attach it to another pokemon. So basically you have just attached 4 energy in one turn.
In Metanite you get the one energy per turn then use Flygon's Power, and Dragonite's Power to get more energy out, it works a lot better when you have multiple Dragonites and Flygons out.

Rating: Flygon is a very solid card and it can be extremely powerful if used in the right deck. I think Flygon will see more play after the format change.

Unlimited: 3/10
Modified: 7/10
Limited: 9/10

Until next time.  

Well, well, well,
What have we here?
A Flygon d this week,
Is it good, or is it weak?

Well, as always, we shall look at Flygon d's Stages of Evolution, while reviewing it one by one, then we go on to the combos, and wrapping Everything up with the Ratings.

Well, here it is,

Trapinch

Well, all-in-all, The Holon Phantoms Trapinch is the best in the current format.

084.jpg

50 HP is common for a Basic Pokemon. It has a nice and decent attack. For 1 Grass Energy, it can deal 10 damage, while restricting your opponent to retreat. This can be useful to keep your opponent's weak pokemon as active. If it's possible, you could knock it out eventually. The second attack does 20, solid damage for 2 Energy of any type. This could allow the deck Trapinch is put into, use another type of energy, making Trapinch Flexible. Weakness to Grass is quite Weird at first. But if you look through at some previous Pokemon, you could notice that both Sceptile EX and Meganium EX also have the same Weakness to their type. Well, since that Grass decks are reducing, this card is safe to use. But still beware, as there is still a big number of Flariados and Beedrill decks around. 1 Retreat cost wouldn't be a burden too.

Next, I shall review.....

Vibrava

Well, here's the Spoiler

Vibrava     d Delta Species      80HP

Stage 1, Evolves from Trapinch

(C)(C) Knock Away                     20+
     Flip a coin, if heads, this attack does 20 damage plus 10 more
damage.

(G)(C)(C)  Cutting Wind                40

Weakness             Resistance         Retreat Cost
  (C)                         (L)(F)               (C)

It has a decent HP of 80 which is enough to take a few hits. Knock Away isn't as outstanding, but Cutting Wind does 40 Solid Damage, or 80 if Weakness is Applied, this is enough to knock out quite a few pokemon.  Weakness to Colourless isn't as good as Pokemon like Shelgon, other Vibrava, or Ursaring around the tourney area. Resistance to Fighting helps against Hariyama EX and Machamp while Lightning Resistance helps against Zapdos EX and the famous Manectric EX.

Now to the Main card that is the reason why I'm writing this article.

Flygon d

007.jpg

Stages of Evolution

Being a Stage 2 Pokemon, Rare Candy is Essential to get Flygon d out quick. If not, then you have to go through 2 turns to evolve Flygon d.

HP(Hit Points)

Well, a huge amount of HP which is 110 is very Good, and suitable for a Stage 2. Being a Dragon Pokemon as all, it needs a sturdy HP.

Type(Grass/Metal)

Again, Quite a lot of pokemon have Weakness to Grass, while many has Resistance to Grass, for instance, Steelix EX or Scizor EX. Being a Metal type also means that it can reduce damage if it has Metal Energy on it. Don't forget that Walrein EX have Weakness to Metal.

Poke-Power

Delta Supply is a decent Poke-Power as it can do Multiple Attaching. This could allow Heavy Attack Cost of attacks by pokemon to be used faster.

Attack

Swift is an attack which can go through, no matter What. 60 Damage for 3 Energy, 1 Being Grass and 1 Being Metal, and another energy of any type is solid. Not to mention Going through Resistance, Poke-Powers, Poke-bodies, or any other effects on the Pokemon. Agility, Exoskeleton and many other effects that reduces or Prevents damage doesn't work anymore.

Weakness, Resistance and Retreat Cost

Weakness to Colourless isn't as good as Pokemon like Shelgon, other Vibrava, or Ursaring around the tourney area. Resistance to Fighting helps against Hariyama EX and Machamp while Lightning Resistance helps against Zapdos EX and the famous Manectric EX. With a big amount of HP, Flygon d would only be affected by an ant if Fighting or Lightning Pokemon attacks it. A Retreat Cost of 2 is quite a Waste, but if you're desperate, you have to Retreat. Luckily, Power Tree can retrieve Energies.

Now for the combos.

Combos

Kabutops d

Well, basically, Kabutops d's attack does more damage if it has more Lightning Energies on it. Therefore, Flygon d can do 20 more damage a Turn as attaching an Energy during your turn, and an additional energy due to its Poke-Power.

Flygon EX

Again, since Flygon EX has a big attack cost, you could keep on attaching energies to Flygon d, then Surprise! Time Machine and Switch Flygon d for Flygon EX.

Here are the Ratings.

Ratings

Unlimited - 2/10

Again, do you see any Delta Pokemon in unlimited? I guess not, but multiple Attaching can come useful.

Limited - 9/10

Well, if you have Metal Energy and the Stages of Evolution, I don't see the reason why to not play it.

Modified(HL-on) - 7/10

Due to LBS, SMP, and many other decks around, Flygon d won't be popular yet. But still there will be decks using it.

Modified(DX-on) - 8/10

Rotation really makes Delta Pokemon popular. But still, people are still finding Replacements for the Pokemon Rotated out.

Well, that's it for this week's COTW.

FLYGON DELTA

Card Analysis:
HP:110 hp for a non EX Stage 2 is 10 hp above average. The HP is great IMO.

Type: Grass and metal is Pretty good. Not a lot of pokemon are resistant to those 2 types.

Weakness: Weakness of colorless is GREAT. The only thing you have to worry about now is people going agro with Pidgeots or Porygon2's.

Resistance: Having ONE resistance is good but having 2 it GREAT. Especially because the 2 types its resistant to is played quite a bit.
Retreat cost: Retreat cost of 2 sucks. But it doesn't really hinder the card as a whole because of its Poke-power, which brings me to my next statement.

Poke-power:The poke-power lets you put a Delta Rainbow energy card, or ANY basic energy card. Extra energy attachment is ALWAYS good.
I give its pokepower a 10/10

Combos:
Flygon D/Gyrados D/Golduck D- Uses Flygon D to charge up gyarados D and uses the gyraduck combo to get the extra power boost.

Flygon D/Raichu D/Porygon2- Uses Flygon D to charge up Raichu and keep recharging it after it discards energy. Also uses Holon Research Tower.

Basically any Delta pokemon that needs energy can be comboed with Flygon Delta.

Metagame:
Does this card affect the metagame? NO, next season i think it will be a bit bigger but not by alot.

Overall Rating:
7/10

another great HP card, let's see
THE CARD
Grass: wow, an not lightning or fire δ, nice, not so good for delta decks, cause type-basing becomes difficult, but yeah, still good
110HP: well, not bad, but not good either, since it won't be played active a lot, it doesn't matter much, but it survives steelix ex, so he's an excellent bench-sitter.
Poké-power: very nice, it's not an ex, so this can make it the blastoise ex for delta decks.
Attack1: useless IMO, I read the review on this card at pokémon.com, and they said that a sure 60 was good, but I'd have to disagree, it takes away the advantage of a grass δ, it could be just another lightning in that case, it wouldn't matter.
W, R and RC: weakness against colorless is nothing special for a dragon, it can be a problem because almost every deck has a normal, but since he's a bench-sitter it doesn't really matter. His double retreat cost is super, resistance against lightning kills most of the δ decks. resistance for fight isn't that special, mainly because most grounds are used for bench-hitting. 2 retreat cost does hurt, but, well, again, he's just a bench-sitter

COMBOS
- flytops: keep on attack lightning energies to kabutops to do more damage
- areogon: just, search for energies with aerodactyl δ, attach them with flygon δ, can be used with the flytops
- chimegon: same as aerogon, but with chimecho δ
- flyvoir: sorry, couldn't come up with a decent name, but whatever, this is a combo together with gardevoir δ, attach an energy and move to another not-δ pokémon, this can also be used with ampharos

well, a great card with lots of possibilities, so:
modified: 7,6/10: well, not many good δs now, but there will be, so don't worry.
limited: 8,9/10: many δs, nothing else to say
unlimited: 2,1/10: well, blastoise is a lot better, so why even put it in your deck, and not many δs

Hey guys, today we’re going to look at Flygon of EX: Holon Phantoms.  Now, right now, it hasn’t made a large impact on the current Format, but maybe in the next Format, it, and it’s EX: Legend Maker counter-part Flygon EX, will make a great team!  Now let’s take a run-down.

The Card:
Now its HP is standard for a Rare Stage 2 Pokemon, at 110.  But the Type is a bit different.  Since it’s a Delta Species Pokemon, it will have a strange dual-type, and Flygon’s just happens to be Grass/Steel.  But this is a good thing, since those are both very handy Types to have.  
His Pokepower is very handy, being similar to Meganium EX’s.  But, it can be any basic energy or delta rainbow energy that you attach. The only bad part is that it has to be a Delta Species Pokemon that it attaches to.  But, this can help many cards get powered up quickly, while this just sits and becomes a bench warmer.  It’s attack, Swift, is okay, but this isn’t the reason I’d use Flygon.  It costs a Metal, a Grass, and a Colorless to attack. This can come in handy, but it still seems a little cheap to me, I mean you're paying a Metal for it!  Now it could very well be a Delta Rainbow Energy attached to it but then again it might not be.
His weakness is all right, being to Colorless, just watch out for Pidgeot, Rayquaza EX, and next format’s Delcatty EX.  His Resistance is great, being to Electric and Fighting, which are very popular types right now.  His Retreat Cost is that good however.  Since it has good speed in the game, and it can fly I’d probably make it at least 1, instead of 2 which is the Retreat Cost.  

Advantages:
His great dual-type will help out a lot, so keep it in mind.  His HP is pretty good too, but a little standard.  
Of course his Pokepower is the main reason I believe that he will be used.  It allows you to attach 2 energies to any of your Delta Species Pokemon.  That will always be welcome.  
His attack is good, just not great.  I’m going to put it in both Advantages and Disadvantages since he has to pay a Metal for it.  60 straight for 3 energies is all right, but just not great since it has to have a Special Energy to do so.
He has a pretty good Weakness, since Colorless isn’t extremely popular right now.  But just be careful of any Colorless Pokemon that may lurk about, such as Rayquaza EX.  His Resistance is unbelievable, since Fighting and Electric are very popular right now (i.e. Zapdos EX and Machamp LM).  

Disadvantages:
Not much to say here.   Just about three things.  
The first, as I previously stated, is its attack.  It takes a Special energy to do a straight 60, which can’t even be affected by Weakness!  I just don’t see it as that great, maybe if it did 70 or so.  
The second is its Retreat Cost.  Two is way too much.  I’d reduce it to one, because in the game it has good speed, and it can fly.  
The third is that its Pokepower can only attach to Delta Pokemon.  That’s great for any Delta Deck, but to any other deck it’s pretty much worthless, unless you are attaching to Flygon.
There isn’t really much else that I can see to list.

Analysis:
Again nothing else I can fix, except for what it in the Disadvantages.  I’d make its attack do 70 first of all.  I believe that that is the biggest fix I can make.  
I’d also make it’s Retreat go down to one, which seems much better than two.  
I can see why it’s Pokepower is how it is, but I have to make it better so I will.  I’d make it affect any Pokemon, but that might be a little broken so you could keep it how it is.

Art:
Yes, yes, I know.  I’ve now added a new profile to my Articles, being Art.  Here I will talk about and criticize the look of the cards, along with what the card does.  So here we go.
If you would please look at the scan of Flygon (since I don’t want to do the picture) you can see the Artist’s name.  Kagemaru Himeno is his name.  Now this artist is very known to me at his sort of blending style of the Pokemon to its surroundings, shown to make it seem powerful.  He does this every now and then when he is creating a very strong Pokemon, such as Flygon.  
The color is very nice, and so is the surroundings.  The Pokemon is very well positioned, and seems to be mad.  That’s good, it’s cool that way.  
The only thing that I don’t like about the card is that it’s mouth and eyes look very strange to me.  The mouth is nothing more then a slit, shaped in a frown, where I think that he could’ve made it slightly open, and showing teeth.  Since he was going for evil, this seems a little better than a frown to me.  His eyes, are just weird.  I’d make them larger, and that’s all I can really say to make it better.

Art: 7/10

Card Combos and Strategies:
Flygon HP/Flygon EX/Surprise! Time Machine:
Flygon HP is what you originally use to get 5 energies on him, then Surprise! Time  Machine for Flygon EX and hit 100 every turn afterwards.

Flygon HP/Most any Delta Pokemon:
This card works with so many Delta cards because it powers them up faster.  Cards like Salamence Delta and Gyarados Delta will really benefit with this around.

Overall:
Flygon HP is very nice, I look forward to seeing the play of it in further Formats.  Here’s it’s scores:

Limited/Draft:  If you can pull it’s line, then play it!  But hopefully you’ll have a Metal energy, but if you don’t it can power up other Pokemon.  Only bad part is that they have to be Delta, which that and it’s Metal dependency which will make me drop it’s score.  – 6.5/10

Unlimited:  There’s no place for Delta Pokemon here yet.  This for certain, it won’t even last long enough to abuse its Power.  – 1/10

Modified:  There are lots of Delta Pokemon here, and many good ones too.  And, since it can also be used with Flygon EX, it gives it a major chance in my eyes.  Maybe next format it’ll become a much-used card.  But for now, I still don’t see it as making a huge difference.  – 7/10

Thank you for reading my report.  I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did and I’ll see you next time!

In today’s review, we are going to take a close look at Flygon d from Holon Phantom. At the first glance, Flygon’s poke power attracted me the most. Flygon’s poke power stated that you can attach a basic energy or d rainbow energy from your hand to one of your delta pokemon once during your turn. In my opinion, any cards which broke the standard rules are powerful and promising. In this case, Flygon’s poke power breaks “attach energy once per turn” rule. Other than its interesting poke power, its attributes are just generally fair. Being a grass pokemon might arise some player’s concern since metal pokemon especially Steelix ex is popular nowadays. However, its attack, swift, stated that swift is not affected by weakness and any effect on the defending. Thus, resistance and metal will not be a major problem for Flygon d. After that, weakness to colorless might cause some problems to flygon d since pidgeot is everywhere nowadays. Nevertheless, if opponent attacks with Pidgeot, it will be a good chance for you to get rid of pidgeot as well. Next, Flygon d has resistance to lightning and fighting which will useful when fighting Metanite, Zap-turn-dos and other powerful deck.

If you want to make a deck based on Flygon d, it is wise for you to gain advantage from its poke power. Hence, Flygon d works best with d pokemon or delta deck. One of the examples is Flygon d and Flareon d. Flareon d’s return burn requires you to return energy to cause the defending pokemon burned. So, with Flygon d’s poke power, you can burn the defending pokemon every turn while charge up your bench with delta supply. Thus, you will not be left behind too much if your Flareon d is knocked out. Other than that, Full flame works in this deck, too. If your opponent flips a tails for burn check, he gets 40 damages. In total, the defending gets 90 damages just for three energies. As what I suggested in my last review, Flygon d works with Gyarados d, too. With two Gyarados d in play, Flygon d deals 80 damages to the defending pokemon without being affected by resistance or any effect of the defending pokemon. In the following, Flygon d works with Chimecho d as well. Chimecho d’s poke power stated that if you have holon supporter in play, you can take back energy from your discard pile. Hence, you need not fear that you have no extra energy for delta supply poke power. Lastly, Flygon d also works with Pidgeot d. Although there are two stages 2 lines in a deck, celio’s network and holon researcher help to get out these pokemon out fast. So with pidgeot d’s lock and Flygon d’s advantage in attaching an extra energy, most probably you can finish the game comfortably.

Ever since delta pokemon were introduced, most of the delta pokemon are dual type which one of them is metal type. In other words, Battle Frontier will be a deadly treat to Flygon d. In current format; moreover, most players who do not play with Pidgeot RG will play with Battle Frontier for sure. Hence, it gives Flygon d a huge disadvantage.

In conclusion, Flygon d’s delta supply poke power is powerful and its attack is promising. It is hard; however, for Flygon d to survive in current format. Maybe we will see more Flygon d in action in the next dx-on format. Finally, I will give Flygon d a rating of
1 out of 10 in unlimited,
6.5 out of 10 in limited, and
5.5 out of 10 in current format.
Well, that is all. See you next time. Cheers.

Card of the Week No.8

Flygon d---Holon Phantoms

The 8th COTW is now here and Flygon d is yet another card form Holon Phantoms to take the limelight.

Overview

Flygon d is an ST.2 evolved Pokemon and is of the Delta Species so it has an alternative type to the standard Colorless.

Flygon has 110HP which is very good and only comes 10HP short of the non-EX ST.2 maximum. It will last long with the HP, take several hits and is great soak up resistant attacks (Lighting and Fighting).

Grass and Metal elements belong to Flygon thanks to it being Pokemon Delta. Grass is a relatively weak type currently with not much being weak to it and a number of big players having resistance (Metagross d, Dragonite d, Steelix EX). Metal is also not that strong though it does allow Flygon d to access Metal Energy and its defensive effects.

Being ST.2, Flygon d has a number of pre-evolutions in Vibrava (ST.1) and Trapinch (Basic). Of this lot, I would recommend HP Vibrava since it is not reliant on React Energy (LM is) and I would not mind both Trapinch (LM or HP) since the HP one can prevent retreat and the LM can hit the bench. It is your choice although it could be easier to run the HP line due to the typing.

Now then, the Poke-Power. The main reason why this card (as well as many others) will be made playable. Delta Supply enables the player to attach any Basic Energy or a Delta Rainbow Energy card from their hand to any of their Delta Pokemon. Now while this may be the most intense Energy providing Poke-Power (Blastiose EX), it is certainly easy to use and can speed up the game tempo quite a notch if played correctly, especially with multiple Flygon ds in play. And the ability to use Delta Rainbow is very good since you can provide any Energy be it for an attack or utility reasons (say, for multi-Energy attacks). A very effective way to pay Delta Supply is to use it in conjunction with Aerodactly d (Primal Light) and Holon Lass to get the Energy to your hand and to have a lot of Energy to supply to your Pokemon Delta.

Swift is back on Flygon d and has the same effect as usual. For (G)(M)©, you can 60 damage and not apply effects of Weakness, Resistance, Poke-Powers, Poke-Bodies or anything else on the Defending Pokemon. It is OK for three Energy but the fact that you need a (G) and an (M) will make using the attack a bit difficult, though it seems to be encouraging the use of Delta Supply. In the end, it is a solid attack but only to be used in secondary effect since Flygon d will be supporting Pokemon Delta, not attacking for them (in most cases).

Weakness is Colorless. Whilst it may be a Grass/Metal Pokemon Flygon does keep it’s Dragon trait and remains weak to the common type. It is not particularly great with a fair amount of Rayquza EXs drifting about as well as other Dragons and (the lethal weapon) Crystal Shard. Still, it is better than Fire since it would mean any Burning Liability/Flariados deck would love to use something called Pokemon Reversal and take an easy prize.

Resistance is dual Lighting and Fighting. Dual Resistance has become common these days around  ST.2 and Pokemon EX and Flygon d has some particularly good types to be protected against. Lighting is very big around ZRE/Metanite/Metro and with all of those decks being particularly hard hitting, Resistance really helps and allows Flygon to keep the game going just a bit longer. Fighting is also reasonable for a Resistance, though it is the most common Resistance. Machamp/Hariyama EX are two very powerful opponents and being resistant can slow their progress down significantly, especially since Flygon d has 110HP. Note that both Armaldo EX and Medicham EX get power bonuses if their opponents have a Resistance to their type (or any in Armaldo’s case) and can both do very high damage so be warned.

A Retreat Cost of ©© is alright. Not the best ever but it is payable and can help in case of an emergency. Try to avoid using it too much though since it still is two Energy you are throwing away.

Combos  

There are a very large amount of combos for Flygon d thanks to its Poke-Power so here is just a list of some of the ones which may first catch your eye…

Kabutops d: Quickly powers up Kabutops for its second attack and can add on the damage rather quickly. 20 damage is added on each turn you can do be doing around 100 damage by T2-3 if you play enough Energy.

Metagross d/Dragonite d (Metanite): Could be hard to run three ST.2 lines but with Dragonite d and Flygon d (maybe the occasional Holon Lass) dumping huge amounts of Energy every turn the Crush and Burning will surely rise to biblical proportions.

TyraniCargo d: Tyranitar d and Macargo use Smooth Over and Crush Draw to top-deck Energy and to attach it. Flygon d can speed up the process of multiple Energy attachments.

Aerodactyl d: These two use Primal Light and Delta Suply to get and extra Energy efficiently every turn. Not an attacking combo but it very useful.

Salamence d: Just use Delta Supply to keep the Energy rolling in and Salamence will be doing big, fat amounts of damage every turn with the right amount of Energy and Delta Supply.

Pros

• Excellent HP
• Metal Type is good for Metal Energy defense.
• Has a great Power
• Many Combos
• Some decent pre-evolutions
• Two great resistances
• Retreat Cost is acceptable

Cons

• Swift is hard to use due to the multiple Energy types needed
• Weakness is venerable since there is Crystal Shard
• Though understandable, Delta Supply will not provide for non-Delta, limiting its wider spread use.
• Grass is a very weak type
• For almost every combo it goes with, there is something else out there that can do better

Overall

Flygon d is a very interesting card with a huge amount of options available.
Though it may be the absolute best Energy provider in the world (Blastiose EX beats it on many accounts), it has many qualities and will defiantly see play in 2006-2007 metagame.

Unlimited: 1.5/10 No Delta Species are played here no there is no need to play Flygon d.

Modified: 7.5/10 Very creative with many combos. Though none of those combos can be potentially lethal such as Blastiose EX.

Draft: 9/10 Excellent for Draft since you can attack more Energy, get ahead of the game and you can have a nice, big ST.2 guy with a decent attack.

By Veyatii Xeras

Back