Florida's Results

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
So let's talk about these results, shall we?

So far we only have Day 1.

Looks like Lando and Bats is still a dominant deck. We even see many Empoleon variants.

Another new deck that did very well was Primal Groudon. In the top 32 for Day 1 the only new decks that did well were Empoleon w/ Archie Ace in the Hole variants and Primal Groudon EX.

Looks like Mega Gardevoir EX was over hyped and not as good as people thought it was going to be.
Even Primal Kyogre EX didn't make top 32 on Day 1.

Can't wait to see the Expanded results.

What do you find interesting about these results?

http://thecharizardlounge.com/tournament-results/2015-winter-regional-championship-results/#florida

No VirGen no Gardevoir no Metal. CRAZY! Landobats was expected. Flareon is what Florida is known for. Archie Empo trick in Flareon and Night March was pretty cool.

(before expanded actually happened) i thought (and still think) that Aromatisse/Xerneas/Mega Diancie/Wonder Energy with a couple Silver Mirror was the play for expanded. Standard Aromatisse strat with Wonder Energy to beat Accelgor. Mega Diancie is basically a permanent Safeguard, so that's a lot of autowins right there. Silver Mirror lets Xerneas roll right through Flareon and Plasma.

Accelgor/Trevenant/Silent Lab/Froslass seems pretty good too.

grantm1999 said:
no VirGen no Gardevoir no Metal. CRAZY! Landobats was expected. Flareon is what Florida is known for. Archie Empo trick in Flareon and Night March was pretty cool.

(before expanded actually happened) i thought (and still think) that Aromatisse/Xerneas/Mega Diancie/Wonder Energy with a couple Silver Mirror was the play for expanded. Standard Aromatisse strat with Wonder Energy to beat Accelgor. Mega Diancie is basically a permanent Safeguard, so that's a lot of autowins right there. Silver Mirror lets Xerneas roll right through Flareon and Plasma.

Accelgor/Trevenant/Silent Lab/Froslass seems pretty good too.

I love those deck ideas that you mentioned like that Accelgor deck. No metal, VirGen AND Gardevoir. Crazy stuff going on. The only thing holding back Mega Diancie a little is no spirit link but it still would be great in a pure fairy deck / toolbox IMO.

raymond25962 said:
Nice to see night march doing well.

Me as well. Leafeon probably helped a bit against those Primal Groudon decks.

With all the Flareon running around, I'm not so surprised VirGen and Metal didn't do well.

Eeveelutions weren't actually played in the Night Marchies (yes that's what I call it) that made day 2 based off what I've seen. They were the Mew EX variant.

Camoclone said:
Eeveelutions weren't actually played in the Night Marchies (yes that's what I call it) that made day 2 based off what I've seen. They were the Mew EX variant.

Oh cool, even more interesting :).

I'm still really surprised about the lack of gardevoir. I just played it at a league challenge and took 2nd. It actually runs really smoothly. It handles seismitoad just fine, it gets around yveltal, and it easily beat donphan. I just don't know why it isn't seeing much play.

Camoclone said:

That makes a some sense, Mew EX can get set up incredibly quickly with Dimension Valley.

My understanding is that Yveltal-Seismitoad with/without Garbodor were played by the top 3 players at the FL Regionals, day 1. YSG was also run by the top player day 2. Big props to those players.

LOTS of Lando-Bats (great deck) played.

Not many Primal Clash decks were represented in the T32. I suspect many players chose to rely upon decks that they were most comfortable with; hence many players chose pre-Primal Clash decks to play. My understanding is that only 1 PC deck made it into the T32. I heard that there were some Gardy and Metal decks being played and those players were on the fringe of the T32. Those 2 groups may have "canceled" each other out and/or leaving a much larger population of pre-PC deck players emerging to the top ranks.

There were two Groudon decks that made top 32. Many players like you said just stuck to consistently decks pre PCL.

I was surprised by Flareon's results. Also, I was expecting a lot of Blastoise with Archie's, but Empoleon got the treatment. And having Empoleon/Miltank/Dusknoir making top 16 was nice.

I played a Fairy deck, Aromatisse and M Gardevoir, and majority of all my matchs were ties. All the fairy decks were around where I was sitting. I felt no matter how fast I would play win or lose or tie, It took to long to power up M Gardevior, so im guessing the other fairys like me were sitting on a bunch of ties. I also didnt see a single fairy deck run the same thing, they were all very diverse. I used Florgeas, I beat the one that ran Malamar, tied with the one that used Xerneas EX. I also tech'd for toad, and didnt play a single one.

I think the thing that surprises me the most is that a Stage 2 Deck - Empoleon - got in the Top 32. I'll admit that Archie/Maxie are kind of hard to play and as low as it placed... I think that still speaks a lot about how powerful the supporters could be in the very near future.

I guess the empoleon trick with archie's works well in decks that are fast and can play down a lot of cards like Night March and Flareon. Probably why that worked out.

Back