Ruling Fl Regionals Question

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
Question:
After putting a stage 1/stage 2 fighting pokemon into play from Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick with an ability (Eg. Machamp), would Silent Lab block that ability?

At Florida Regs today, the ruling from a few judges was that the pokemon would still be affected by the stadium. I, despite being not a judge, would disagree considering that the card still says 'stage 1/2' in the corner and the pokemon wouldn't be able to be put back down as a basic pokemon.
Can other judges confirm/deny this ruling?

Seeing as there has not been an update to this in Compendium yet, I am going to go with the ruling that Silent Lab would not shut off a Stage 2's Ability as it is still a Stage 2. If the Compendium updates with anything on this, I will post updating my answer.

Speaking of the Compendium, this is the ruling I used to confirm my answer.

Q. Can I use "Archie's Ace in the Hole" or "Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick" to put a Stage 2 or Mega Pokemon directly onto my bench?
A. Yes, they're very sneaky like that. (Primal Clash FAQ; Feb 5, 2015 TPCi Rules Team)

It does not directly state that they are no longer Stage 2s or Mega Pokémon.

I agree with BV! Just because something is played on the bench, does *not* mean it is a basic. Look at this ruling for Lifesplosion which flat out states that fact:

Lifesplosion (Cradily - Plasma Blast)

Q. For Cradily's "Lifesplosion" attack, do I need to have the corresponding Stage 1 Pokemon in play in order to put the Stage 2 Pokemon on my bench?
A. No, the Stage 2 Pokemon card goes directly onto the bench, even though it does not count as a "Basic Pokemon". (Plasma Blast FAQ; Aug 15, 2013 TPCi Rules Team)

There might be some confusion because cards in older sets often had the wording "Treat the new Benched Pokemon as a Basic Pokemon." for cards that allowed Stage 1 or Stage 2 to be placed directly on the bench. That text is missing from the newer sets, and that shouldn't be assumed to be the case. The card doesn't say it, and there is no meta-ruling that says otherwise.

I concur with all of the above, but I would like to mention that on tcgone, Pokemon put onto the Bench with Archie's Ace count as Basic Pokemon. Hopefully there will be an official ruling to clear things up before States.

I know that's the right ruling. What I'm saying is that it could be an issue at States when judges still, for whatever reason, try to enforce an incorrect ruling.

Back