News First 'Sun & Moon' English Set News!

TheScarfedPiplup

Aspiring Trainer
Incineroar-GX looks extremely playable!
Hustle Blow: Assuming you only run the Litten line, you would still get at most 70 damage for one energy.

Tiger Swing: Potential 180 damage, 130 average, 80 damage if unlucky, seems quite efficient for 3 energy

Burn Slam-GX: HOLY HELL. 200 damage! Plus 20 auto-damage from the burn that's 220 total! Not to mention that it has a 50% change of carrying on to the next turn and does another 20 auto-damage for a total of 240! Many Pokemon-GX shown so far has less than 210HP all Mega-EX have less than 240! This attack is almost like an Instant KO. Did I forget to mention that it cost the time as Tiger Swing?

Decidueye-GX is kinda "Meh" but I could see it getting some use

Ability: Feather Arrow: Soften up any of your opponent's Pokemon even when this is benched, 20 damage to any opponent per turn. Somewhat okay.

Razor Leaf: Plain 90 damage for 3 energy... A little underwhelming, but you could do extra damage from bench to anyone so it's kinda okay...

Hollow Hunt-GX: It's technically a Super Rod into the hand but any card is accepted. Which is vulnerable to N. But you could bring back crucial cards or 3 Enhanced/Crushing Hammer for the sole purpose of trolling :)

Primarina-GX is the new Darkrai-EX

Bubble Beat: Basically Darkrai-EX's dark pulse but with Water Energy and 10 less base damage. Not much to say

Ocean Sound: Cannot be DCE'd and cost 4 ENERGY, that should rise a red flag. And energy discard is always disruptive.

Grand Echo: Extremely great, against decks like Greninja BREAK and M Audino-EX but very situational. For most of the time, one shot or Shaymin is the aim so I personally can't see the usefulness of this GX-attack

jever15

Aspiring Trainer
I can see Greninj Break and Decidueye GX in the format already,spamming those two's abilities will deal more damage and saves you more energies.

Mandalayon

Aspiring Trainer
Important: As if Primarinas second attack wasn't bad enough damage/cost, the energy discard only targets the opponents active Pokémon.

PenguinJ44

I caught Mew!
If this set gives any Mega that doesn't have a spirit link one, I am so getting the set. But other then that, I'm only getting this set for the GX.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
MY EVALUATIONS!!
  • Decidueye-GX - The ability is interesting. Putting dmg. to your opponents is good for damage spread. The attack is Meh!, and the GX attack is for EMERGENCY!
  • Incineroar-GX - The attacks are awesomely awesome. The 2nd attack can possibly OHKO anybody, and he is the first recepient of the "Burned Comeback Award" because of the GX Attack.
  • Primarina-GX - The attacks are interesting. Teaming up with Giratina-EX will be awesome because it doesn't say BASIC. Decent 120 damage attack, and like Decidueye has, Prima's GX move is for EMERGENCY.
  • Is someone beats the 250 HP Wailord?

Nidogod

Aspiring Trainer
"About half of the cards in each deck will be randomly inserted, so no two decks will be alike."

Are you serious?! This certainly raises suspicions. I like theme decks because they tend to be relatively balanced. If half of the deck is random, is it truly balanced? I wonder if it is going to be booster pack-random, or more like Magic Deckbuilder's Toolkits-random. The Deckbuilder's Toolkits have about 10 "archetypes" in each series. You don't know which archetype you'll get when you buy a box, but if you get the same archetype as your friend, you'll have the same cards in your box (excluding booster packs).

I assume they have to do something similar here. I'm betting there will be 6-10 arechetypes among all starters that fill the other half of the deck. To say it succinctly, this sucks. It means that when my kids and I each get a starter deck, there is a chance that two of us will have an identical half deck. That's going to make games pretty boring. I'm not going to get too upset until we get more details. But right now, I'm definitely worried about this product.

Vitiel

Mush. Up!
I almost wonder if the game's trying to move in a direction where 3HKOs are the norm and 2HKOs (and even moreso OHKOs) are luxury, especially with how huge these stage 2 GX Pokes are.

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
Why does it have psychic weakness? Alolan Grimer is both poison and dark type, meaning its only weakness is ground, which is represented by the fighting type.

they should of just released grimer and muk as dark types with the psychic resistance instead.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
The TCG usually effectively treats them as single-type rather than dual-type, unless they're part Flying (and even then, that occasionally doesn't apply.) For instance, many Water/Ice Pokemon have Metal weaknesses so as to portray their Ice typing even though they're neutral to it, and the 2 Psychic Drapion (which are pretty relevant to your point about Grimer) are both weak to Psychic. The only exceptions tend to be Sableye (with one exception from its first appearance) and Spiritomb, who prior to Gen 6 had no natural weakness (and Darkness Pokemon aren't weak to Fairy in the TCG, so that would make little sense either). Most other Pokemon, even ones with no logical video game weaknesses to depict in the TCG (following how the TCG usually assigns weaknesses) like Zapdos and Girafarig are usually asigned weaknesses based on one of their types.

While they HAVE effectively treated cards other than Flying-types as dual-type (giving them a weakness or resistance corresponding to the other type they could have been) in the past, that was usually rare, and has pretty consistently not happened since at least HGSS.

Dalton

Aspiring Trainer
Decidueye-GX + M Alakazam = Win?
Two Feather Arrows + Kinesis = 60 + Zen Force for 190. That one shots anything played in the current meta. The deck would be so clunky, but would hit for massive damage. Forest would speed it up a lot though. Even one Feather Arrow would make Zen Force hit for 70, followed up next turn for 280.

My 4 M Alakazam I pulled may see some play. Will the bats see their end in not only standard, but also expanded?

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
Decidueye-GX + M Alakazam = Win?
Two Feather Arrows + Kinesis = 60 + Zen Force for 190. That one shots anything played in the current meta. The deck would be so clunky, but would hit for massive damage. Forest would speed it up a lot though. Even one Feather Arrow would make Zen Force hit for 70, followed up next turn for 280.

My 4 M Alakazam I pulled may see some play. Will the bats see their end in not only standard, but also expanded?

The only issue here (same with Golbat and M Alakazam itself) is Garbotoxin as always, especially with a stage 2 line giving them more potential set up time (needing all 3 in the right order after finding FoGP isn't as easy as it sounds)

Nyora

A Cat
Keep in mind while lots of things now seem unplayable, we barely have a quarter of the set yet! We don't know what new cards they are gonna make!
EDIT: Decidueye + Bats lets go!

RedT

Aspiring Trainer
Oh no, GX are stage 3 rather than an effective 4 (don't have to evolve from the final evolution)

Not that I was going to play in Sun/Moon anyway, but this would have been another dealbreaker.

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
Dual type is already dead right? I don't think they'll mix Alolan type pokemon and then dual type cards together.

I'm just wandering if all the Alolan pokemon that will be made will be ones that have only stage 1 line. We might not see any stage 2 Alolan variety pokemon.