First 'Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon' Trailer

I was really excited about Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, but I just realized something that disappointed me already.
After watching (or listening ) to the trailer, I found that the music doesn't really appeal to me just like Gates to Infinity did. Call me nostalgic, but I still find the music from the rescue team series and the explorers series more 'Pokemon Mystery Dungeon-ish'. I believe this is because of the lack of composers that are involved with the development team. More specifically, the lack of one composer named Arata Iiyoshi. He was with the PMD composers until Explorers of Sky, (I'm not sure about the Wiiware games though) but was nowhere to be seen in GTI. I thought this might explain why I don't like the GTI music as much as the previous games, and probably will have similar feelings for Super Mystery dungeon if this composer never came back.

Egh, they did exactly what I didn't want them to do with the starters, which was include every single traditional starter and have little else (just Pikachu and Riolu). I was hoping for more variety than that.

Well, I'm slightly less excited now. I'm fine with Legendaries, but I'd rather have this game be about non-legendaries, or just not have so much of a focus on them. Also, the town looks like Treasure town, so I'm cool with that. The art style looks like GTI, so that's not very appealing. Also, I'd like to see the return of the request board/Mailbox from the first 2 installments. The music is also slightly underwhelming, but palatable. And I think this shuts down the "Pay-to-Play" theory considering that there's 720 Pokemon and what looks to be a big story and 720 Pokémon. So there's that. I'm also not a fan of choosing the starter, I liked the Pokémon personality test and was hoping it would return, but at least there's more than 5 choices. GTI really messed up, and I hope this game can undo it's predecessor's mistakes.

- hunger is returning
- I can't translate that much, but someone else says the personality quiz is returning (could be wrong)
- all 720 Pokemon (this means Hoopa and Diancie!)
- comes out this year
- Wailord has the best in-game model ever

Last edited:
Egh, they did exactly what I didn't want them to do with the starters, which was include every single traditional starter and have little else (just Pikachu and Riolu). I was hoping for more variety than that.
I can't agree more!
I had a lot of fun playing as Shinx and my partner as Skitty.
When I think about it, Explorers of sky had the best starters: adding riolu, shinx, skitty, phanpy, eevee and vulpix to the entire starter choices(+pikachu and meowth)

I'm not a PMD player but as a gamer, I found the trailer boring and uninteresting...Also, the Lucario line gets the spotlight with every other starter without something to balance like Zorua. Last but not least, it seems PMD is promoting the new movie with so many legendaries. :rolleyes:

I was gonna nag about how we only can pick from starters only and not have much type diversity, but fine. I maybe rusty in my Japanese but I think we can friend all legendaries.

I watched this in the middle of the Nintendo Direct, and even then, I wasn't even entirely sure it was PMD. >_> Just goes to show how well I know this series...

I hope it's a good one, though. I know people in general were pretty disappointed with the recent 3DS PMD, so maybe they'll have learned from their mistakes. It looks rather pretty at least. :D

Soooooooooooo excited now. :D It looks like I can let go of my doubts of it being a dumb freemium game!

I do wish they had more non-starter starter options besides Pikachu and Riolu, but I am perfectly happy with this as it is. At least we have all the starters back and its not limited to just the new gen anymore.

I like the GTI style so I am okay with that. The music does seem not as good as the previous games, but this is only the first trailer and one song, so there is still time to see what else there is. I will be perfectly happy so long as the story is good. There is always some sort of twist in the end that makes you want to crawl under your bed and not leave for 3 days.

Repeat after me kids!

Please be reminiscent of Explorers of Time/Space/Sky, please be reminiscent of Explorers of Time/Space/Sky, please be reminiscent of Explorers of Time/Space/Sky, please be reminiscent....

And I think this shuts down the "Pay-to-Play" theory considering that there's 720 Pokemon and what looks to be a big story and 720 Pokémon. So there's that. I'm also not a fan of choosing the starter, I liked the Pokémon personality test and was hoping it would return, but at least there's more than 5 choices. GTI really messed up, and I hope this game can undo it's predecessor's mistakes.
The "Pay-to-Play" theory never made sense considering they didn't announce the game was freemium at the same time as its announcement. People were just worrying for no reason. All it takes is research.
I really wish there was more variety in starters, though.

Maybe the Pokémon we saw are partners only.
Sadly, no. That isn't the case.

The "Pay-to-Play" theory never made sense considering they didn't announce the game was freemium at the same time as its announcement. People were just worrying for no reason. All it takes is research.
I really wish there was more variety in starters, though.

Sadly, no. That isn't the case.
Pay-To-Play =/= Freemium though. Freemium is a type of game which is free initially, but you have to spend money to speed up things. You (usually) don't end up HAVING to spend real money on it.

ARG. :/ WHY no test?! I guess it's handier for speed runners, but still...
Also, why is Riolu randomly a starter? I get Pikachu, but wouldn't Eevee make more sense than Riolu? I don't remember getting to pick Riolu as a starter in any Pokémon games.

Also, this game seems to have the least amount of Types you can pick from Starters, tied with Gates to Infinity, excluding Bulbasaur's secondary typing, as it never normally counted. Excluding the WiiWare titles, as they weren't released outside of Japan.

Back