First Place at the First Australian Video Game Championship! REPORT / NOW WITH VIDEO

Blui

lv85 paladin
banner_zps286008e2.png

Hey everyone! Probably a few of you know that for the first time Australia is competing at the World Championships in the Video Game. I was lucky enough to get an invite to Nationals (after getting knocked out of the Qualifier in Round one :( ).

So I woke up a bit late on the day, made breakfast and just went online for a few hours (registration for the event opened at 2). I left home at 1 to get there (location is half an hour away, but we have to find parking & walk to the section where it's at (PAX Aus)). We get there in good time and I look around at the stands for a bit. I head over to the registration desk and see plenty of people. It took about a whole 20 minutes to get registered. I see the Juniors finishing up and am pleased to see Nick K. win overall. At 3 o'clock we start. There are 32 players and it's single elimination (much to my disgust), but at least they made it best of 3.

The record at the bottom is the amount of wins to losses I get overall, not match losses, every single game.

Round 1 (32):
Dimitri w/ Rain
I get worried as I open against one of the best players I know in VGC. He's playing a really annoying rain team with Breloom & Thundurus as his opener. Thankfully I get the Trick Room off T1 every game but I had major problems with Spore/Thunder Wave. I lost game 1 because Porygon2 couldn't get the second Trick Room up (it was sleeping). I get back game 2, but it's very, very close. And I wreck game 3 because he put Latias in instead of Thundurus.
2-1

Round 2 (Top 16):
Luke w/ Sand
Nothing really to say here, his plays were sloppy and his team looked like it was still in alpha. 3-0'd him both games
4-1

Round 3 (Top 8)
??? w/ Counters
He opens Dragonite and Terrakion game 1. I feel worried as I open Porygon2 & Togekiss. I use Follow Me and barely survive both attacks and set up the Trick Room. I Ice Beam the Dragonite and it goes down and Aura Sphere the Terrakion which survived with about a third of its health. he uses Close Combat on my Porygon2 much to my surprise. He then sends in his Volcarona and withdraws Terrakion for Metagross. He uses Protect on Volcarona and I Aura Sphere his Metagross for about a quarter of its health. I pull out my Porygon2 and put in my Chandelure. I use Air Slash on Volcarona and get it to flinch, only for Togekiss to be taken down by the Metagross. I send in my Porygon2 again and use Recover. Chandelure used a Fire Gem boosted Heat Wave and took both of them out. He sends in Terrakion as the Trick Room falls. I Protect my Chandelure and get the Trick Room back up. Then I kill it.
Game 2 was a lot faster and simpler. I don't remember it but it ended with Volcarona failing for a second Protect and Metagross using Explosion.
6-1

Round 4 (Top 4)
Matt w/ Sand
I hate sand. I hate it so much. I feel that it is the most evil thing ever. I die horribly game 1. There's nothing to talk about, I just lost horribly. Game 2 was so much better. I get a critical Ice Beam on his Thundurus as he switches it in and it goes down. That kind of lost him the game there. Game 3 I open Porygon2 & Ferrothorn. He was really confused and just struggled. I get a Power Whip on his switched in Garchomp and take half if its HP and he uses Swagger on Porygon2. I hit myself if confusion sadly. I do the same thing again, he Earthquake'd my Pokemon but doesn't do any more than a third to either of them. I snap out of the confusion and get the Trick Room up. I Power Whipped his Garchomp but it missed. From there it just went downhill for him, he does take down my Metagross & Porygon2 but I have my Chandelure & Ferrothorn up against his Thundurus & Metagross. I pull the most unexpected move on him and use Trick Room from Chandelure. He Protected his Metagross and I tried to see it, he also got a Thunder Wave on my Chandelure. I then proceed to use my Heat Wave to burn both of his mons to death.
8-2

Round 5 (Top 2)
Brent w/ Standard VGC Team
Due to time restraints (PAX finishing at 6) we could only play 1 game. Both of us got trips to Vancouver but the trophies needed to get to the correct owners. The game is simple, he opens Hitmontop & Thundurus. I open with Porygon2 & Togekiss. I Follow Me then set up Trick Room. From there I just go and kill all of his Pokemon.
9-2

So in the end I became the first Senior VGC National Champion for Australia. I was super psyched and am really looking forward to playing at worlds. And for everyone here's the team I used (credit goes to Tom Arthur for building it).

Chandelure @ Fire Gem
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 109 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Togekiss (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Protect

Scrafty @ Chople Berry
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Detect

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Brave Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Protect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Props:
Winning
Going to Vancouver
Free Stuff
Having Fun
Lucking out in tight places
Seeing people from interstate
Going to the first PAX Aus
Blue 3DS XL

Slops:
Bulky Garchomp
Not going to the table top location due to time
Bo1 for Top 2

Thanks for reading guys :D

(I'll have video of my Top 2 game & Top 4 games soon).

RE: First Place at the First Australian Video Game Championship! REPORT

Nice job dude! Hope to see you in Vancouver!

You deserved it more than anyone Michael! Can't wait to see you compete at worlds.

RogueChomp said:
Nice job dude! Hope to see you in Vancouver!

Thanks! I do plan to go, and we're in a hurry to get everything ready for the trip over (flights, accommodation, ect.)

RaichuGirl said:
You deserved it more than anyone Michael! Can't wait to see you compete at worlds.

Thanks Jen :) I can't wit either, and I can't wait for you to continue your awesome deck run

After reading this report about all those amazing Heat Wave plays, I only have one thing to say about this report.

...That's...

/me shades

...hot.

csi_miami_yeah.jpg

Good Job Blui! I hope you can do well at worlds.

DNA said:
After reading this report about all those amazing Heat Wave plays, I only have one thing to say about this report.

...That's...

* DNA shades

...hot.

csi_miami_yeah.jpg

i actually loled.

congrats Blui

Awesome job!! Cya at worlds!

Did you play in TCG or could you not play in both?

That's an interesting team! I would have never expected Togekiss on a TR team.

Congrats, and have fun in Vancouver!

Blui, after reading your report, you convinced me to try out Porygon 2. Ive been trying it out with Rhyperior, Amoonguss, and Escavalier and its amazing!!!

It's good to see a Aussie going to worlds! Good luck.

Glace said:

I did actually, we had TCG Nationals on the 15th/16th of June and VGC Nationals on the 20th/21st of July. (And if you care, I went 3-2 and had an opponent's win rate at 36.86% ;) )

DNA said:

...That's...

* DNA shades

...hot.

csi_miami_yeah.jpg

Bahaha. Good one DNA ;) And thanks, Heat Wave was da bomb.

MMAmonchan said:
congrats Blui

Thank you

SheNinja said:
That's an interesting team! I would have never expected Togekiss on a TR team.

Congrats, and have fun in Vancouver!

Well Togekiss is mainly for Follow Me, which pretty much ensures that I get the T1 Trick Room. Plus it's bulky, gets twice the chance of flinch from Air Slash (which is useful vs. Volcarona) and Aura Sphere for some decent damage.

MountainDrew said:
Blui, after reading your report, you convinced me to try out Porygon 2. Ive been trying it out with Rhyperior, Amoonguss, and Escavalier and its amazing!!!

The team I planned on using first had Rhyperior, it was great. In the end I swapped for this team because it has a better Rain matchup.

Blueinvader said:
It's good to see a Aussie going to worlds! Good luck.

Thanks! I can't wait to represent Oz for the VGC for the first time :) So pumped!

Blui said:
Glace said:

I did actually, we had TCG Nationals on the 15th/16th of June and VGC Nationals on the 20th/21st of July. (And if you care, I went 3-2 and had an opponent's win rate at 36.86% ;) )

Well that doesn't make sense (the date separation). Do you know what won?

Glace said:
Blui said:

Well that doesn't make sense (the date separation). Do you know what won?

Yeah it was a little weird, but I'm not complaining :p Top 4 in seniors was Plasma, Plasma, Darkrai & Rayeels. (Plasma won). And it was Rayeels that took down Blastoise in Top 2 for masters.

RayEels?!

What?

Well I guess against Blastoise it would do good but how would it go that far? How much Swiss rounds+top cut was there?

SheNinja said:
RayEels?!

What?

Well I guess against Blastoise it would do good but how would it go that far? How much Swiss rounds+top cut was there?

7 rounds swiss + top 32.

I have match videos!

Top 2
Top 4 Game 1
Top 4 Game 2
Top 4 Game 3

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vPu7oYliBjU[/video]
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=a420v8bATvo[/video]
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1HRY3RFAkEM[/video]
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NwxrXxuLvyQ[/video]

Fraxureking said:
(~Late)
Grats on winning Blui!

Not a problem! And thank you!

Salamencetrainer34 said:
I am not a VGC player, but either way, congrats blui! What did you win?

I got a 3DS XL, Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity, Fire Emblem Awakening Art Book, a BW2 backpack, stylus pack, a trophy, the title, BW2 guide, the trip to Worlds & the invite.

Not as generous as the US but I'm very happy with all of it :) and thank you!

Back