• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard First Deck - Complete Novice (Tyranitar GX)

Jeremypkw

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everyone!

Haven't played Pokemon TCG for years.
After seeing Detective Pikachu, my girlfriend and I went halves in a couple of booster boxes.
As a result we've been playing non-stop for about a week but are looking to both put together less sloppy decks.

Attempting to build my first one and would love some feedback and assistance - I am a complete novice!

Tyranitar is my favourite Pokemon so I've tried to build something around his GX.

Pokémon - 19

2 Rayquaza GRI 106
2 Zorua PR-SM 83
2 Zoroark-GX PR-SM 84
3 Tyranitar-GX LOT 121
2 Cubone CIN 52
3 Larvitar LOT 114
2 Pupitar LOT 116
2 Alolan Marowak FLI 12
1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137

Trainer Cards - 23

2 Rare Candy CES 142
3 Professor Elm’s Lecture LOT 188
3 Cynthia UPR 119
4 Ultra Ball SLG 68
1 Black Market TEU 134
1 Altar of the Moone GRI 117
3 Olivia BUS 119
4 Hau SLG 61
2 Timer Ball SUM 134

Energy - 18

1 Super Boost Energy {*} UPR 136
4 Double Colorless Energy SLG 69
13 Darkness Energy 7

------------------------

My idea was to use Alolan Marowak/Rayquaza as a way to feed my Tyranitar energy and stomp on them as quickly as I can.
Zoroark as a backup attacker and Tapu Lele as a support option.

Thoughts?

radiant_shadows

Aspiring Trainer
You definitely want to run 4 rare candies. The goal is to have Tyranitar out as soon as possible, so you want to make sure you can draw into it. I would also suggest playing Lillie over Hau.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
You want more items in general. 13/23 trainers being supporters is overkill - you can only play one of those per turn. Also probably less Pokémon, 19 is sort of a lot. I'm not sure I buy the alolan marowak engine, so maybe cut that. Probably significantly less energy; you probably only need 6 dark energy I'd guess, though you'll want to playtest to make sure. I would also not use super boost energy; it's no different from dark energy in this deck, you don't really expect to have 3 Ttars on the field at once realistically.

Some ideas on trainers: Nest balls (those are critical to setup), Lillies for supporters instead of Hau and Olivia and Professor Elm; Electromagnetic Radar is an item version of Olivia and far superior; maybe Choice Band and Professor Kukui to help hit some numbers (as well as Devoured Field stadium which also gives you another 10). Nanu is an interesting supporter for dark decks.

Jeremypkw

Aspiring Trainer
You want more items in general. 13/23 trainers being supporters is overkill - you can only play one of those per turn. Also probably less Pokémon, 19 is sort of a lot. I'm not sure I buy the alolan marowak engine, so maybe cut that. Probably significantly less energy; you probably only need 6 dark energy I'd guess, though you'll want to playtest to make sure. I would also not use super boost energy; it's no different from dark energy in this deck, you don't really expect to have 3 Ttars on the field at once realistically.

Some ideas on trainers: Nest balls (those are critical to setup), Lillies for supporters instead of Hau and Olivia and Professor Elm; Electromagnetic Radar is an item version of Olivia and far superior; maybe Choice Band and Professor Kukui to help hit some numbers (as well as Devoured Field stadium which also gives you another 10). Nanu is an interesting supporter for dark decks.

Makes complete sense on being too many supporter cards. Other than Nestball/Choice Band, what else would you recommend?

Had a crack at a bit of a rework;

Pokémon - 15

* 2 Rayquaza GRI 106
* 2 Zorua PR-SM 83
* 2 Zoroark-GX PR-SM 84
* 3 Tyranitar-GX LOT 121
* 3 Larvitar LOT 114
* 2 Pupitar LOT 116
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137

Trainer Cards - 30

* 2 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 4 Rare Candy CES 142