First Cities EVER! NorCal City Championships at Santa Clara

Puckstopper20

Aspiring Trainer
Rudy H.
Deck: Zeeletor
Division: Masters
Participants: 50

Just want to start off by saying this is my first report.

I spent the whole day at Game Kastle on Saturday practicing with my friends, getting ready for Sunday.

Sunday Morning, 9:55AM ..Of Course I'd wake up late.. -___- Hopped in the shower, ate a small breakfast, and hit the road and got there with 15 minutes to write my list and register.

I get there and meet up with my friend Kkillax, and the rest of the group. We sit around for a while and come to the conclusion that we WILL see each other since our group was 1/5th of the Masters division. (10)

Round 1
Opponent: I can't remember his name.. (Shoutout to the guy with the Fridge Rotom mat!)

He's playing CKE, and I go first. I put Zekrom in the active, to his lone Voltorb. I draw Tyrogue, with a plus power in hand. I bench Tyrogue, plus power, juniper, and whiff the double colorless to retreat Zekrom. We play on. He takes 2 prizes, I take 2, one with Black Belt to take out a Cobalion with Tornadus. He pretty much sweeps with Glaciate after that and takes the win.

0-1

I shake it off and focus on the next match.

Round 2
Opponent: Chris.. I can't remember your last name, sorry.

He's playing something with Feraligatr. I start with a Zekrom to his Mantine, he goes first. He benches another Mantine, and group swims for a Totodile. I throw on a DCE, Plus Power, and Catcher the Totodile and "Outrage for the knockout." LOL. He denies me and says wrong weakness. HAHAHAHAHA. Anyway, we play on, he gets out a KGL, but it's too late and I take it with Zekrom.

1-1

Lunch at... McDonalds.. -___- The group comes together to talk about the tournament so far and everyone is doing okay. Kkillax and Bryan are 2-0.

Round 3
Opponent: Molly N.

I met Molly that day, "romantically involved" as my friend would say with another one of the guys in our group lol. Anyway, she's playing the mirror + Thunderus and Emolga. She starts strong, and starts taking prizes early. She goes 4-6 and I'm slowly starting to come back. I get the black belt knockout for 4-4, she takes out another one of mine, I take one of hers, 3-3. By that time, I had my bench set, with plenty of attackers ready to go. She takes the next prize with Emolga, doing 50 to my active Zekrom, and we had a good laugh about it. I take the game after that.

Great game with Molly. Made a misplay by using a catcher on something she didn't want to, and ended up using another one right after. I'm sure she'll only get better though.

2-1

Round 4
Opponent: Kyle.. I can't remember your last name either, sorry.

He's playing Eels, Thunderus, and Lanturn Prime. He goes first, starts with Thunderus, I start with Tornadus. He gets his bench going with a Tynamo and a few other things and takes two prizes. I come back with a Zekrom + Eviolite. Bolt strike, Bolt Strike + Black Belt, Bolt Strike, he scoops.

3-1

I'm waiting around for everyone else to finish since my game ended kinda fast, and the group gets together and we wait for pairings. Unfortunately, Kkillax loses, and goes 2-1 to face me in the 5th round.

Round 5
Opponent: Kkillax (mirror match + his Thunderus)

I start with a Zekrom, his lone Tornadus, and I go first. I collector and grab 2 Tynamo and a Zekrom since I know what's going to go down throughout the game. I attach a DCE, and Outrage for 40. He whiffs completely, and passes. I attach a lightning energy, outrage for another 40. He whiffs again, but attaches an eviolite and tells me it's over.. I draw, attach, and Bolt Strike for the win.. -______-

It sucked, but we all knew we had a high chance of facing each other.

4-1

Last round before the top cut..

Round 6
Opponent: Chris.. L? Andrew L?

Last round, and I'm hoping for a good matchup, and what do I get? Reshiphlosion. -______(\

He starts with a Reshiram, and goes first. I think he uses communication for a Cyndaquil, attaches a DCE and I don't remember if he outraged. I collector for 2 Tynamo and a Tornadus, with very little energy. He evolves the Cyndaquil, and benches more Reshiram, and he doesn't attack. I get dynamotor going and bring up a Tornadus, catcher quilava, and hurricane for a knockout. He throws out a Reshiram, and I think he OHKO's it with a blue flare. My turn, I bring out Tyrogue to stall, but he catchers my eel and OHKO's it. I got an Xtransciever, and hit a tails. At this point, it was pretty much over for me. My Junipers weren't coming out, no sage's, nothing. He sweeps the rest for the game, and I wish him good luck.

4-2

Unfortunately, I didn't make the top cut, but I had a lot of fun.

Props:
Positive record for my first Cities
Friendly opponents
Friends
Good time
15/50
REALLY, good trades :D

Sloppppppppppps:

Playing against friends
Losing my first match which probably affected my resistance and not making top 8 =[
Lame last game

Hoping to attend a few more cities this month. Thanks for reading, and all feedback is welcome!

4-2 is a good run especially at game kastle where the competition is stiff! losing first round really makes it hard to top cut because of resistance. i believe the reshiplosion guy that beat you was the only reshiram player that made top cut. however he lost to the eventual champion zekrom-genie-eel deck at top 8. there's a next one at Castro Valley so hopefully you can make it there to win it all :D

RobertBenjamin said:
4-2 is a good run especially at game kastle where the competition is stiff! losing first round really makes it hard to top cut because of resistance. i believe the reshiplosion guy that beat you was the only reshiram player that made top cut. however he lost to the eventual champion zekrom-genie-eel deck at top 8. there's a next one at Castro Valley so hopefully you can make it there to win it all :D

Yeah he was the only one to mke the top cut. I'll be at Castro Valley, Concord, and Morgan Hill for 3 more attemps! Thanks!

Haha hey it's me from round 1! The name's Mehdi by the way. Good job on 4-2! I actually only ended up going 2-4 myself, despite our game leaving me confident... :/ Sorry if my win was actually what kicked you out of top-cut, by the way... :(

I'll see you again at Castro and Concord.

I will see you at castro. Even though I am not in Masters, i will probably play some casuals with meaty and possibly you if i figure out who you are.

Meaty said:
Haha hey it's me from round 1! The name's Mehdi by the way. Good job on 4-2! I actually only ended up going 2-4 myself, despite our game leaving me confident... :/ Sorry if my win was actually what kicked you out of top-cut, by the way... :(

I'll see you again at Castro and Concord.

Haha Mehdi, I'll remember that. Hopefully it goes better for you next time! I was satisfied with my record since it was my first time, but next time I'll try to do better.

blargh257 said:
I will see you at castro. Even though I am not in Masters, i will probably play some casuals with meaty and possibly you if i figure out who you are.

Lol I don't know who you are but you might have seen me around. I was wearing red gauges (piercings) and had the skull patterned backpack.

You know I realized that I didn't even remember your name either... What was it again?

Now I remember... Ok see you this weekend.

hmm i think i played with you during NV prerelease. we had a close battle it was decided by a paralyze roll. i ended 2nd that day.

RobertBenjamin said:
hmm i think i played with you during NV prerelease. we had a close battle it was decided by a paralyze roll. i ended 2nd that day.

Lol I remember that -___- You have the big binder full of cards right?

Puckstopper20 said:
Lol I remember that -___- You have the big binder full of cards right?

indeed.

i hope your group never grows tired of pokemon puckstopper20 until your team wins a regionals/nationals/worlds. the advantage of having a group is that you can playtest builds.

RobertBenjamin said:
indeed.

i hope your group never grows tired of pokemon puckstopper20 until your team wins a regionals/nationals/worlds. the advantage of having a group is that you can playtest builds.

Lol I doubt that will happen anytime soon. These guys love playing pokemon, especially during the season. It's most fun when you're preparing for tournaments and trying to decided what to play.

Puckstopper20 said:
Lol I doubt that will happen anytime soon. These guys love playing pokemon, especially during the season. It's most fun when you're preparing for tournaments and trying to decided what to play.

good luck at castro valley and concord!

i dont think im going to those but im going to elk grove and morgan hill.

ill see ya at game kastle during sundays though!

Puckstopper20 said:
Haha Mehdi, I'll remember that. Hopefully it goes better for you next time! I was satisfied with my record since it was my first time, but next time I'll try to do better.

Lol I don't know who you are but you might have seen me around. I was wearing red gauges (piercings) and had the skull patterned backpack.

giants hat, 5 feet even, senior.

I really like playing at Castro because it's small.

RobertBenjamin said:
looks like i may be able to swing by Castro Valley tomorrow so I guess I'll see you guys there.

I might be hitting hollister instead. Waiting on the rest of the group to discuss it. If not, I'll see you at Castro!

Puckstopper20 said:
I might be hitting hollister instead. Waiting on the rest of the group to discuss it. If not, I'll see you at Castro!

Hollister might actually be a better call since you will be facing new faces there. a any rate hope you win it at hollister.

Back