• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Fire in your Mind - Typhlosion Prime/Espeon UD

vareki

just a little weird
The Fire in Your Mind - Typhlosion Prime/Espeon UD

Pokemon 22
2 Typlosion Prime HGSS
2 Quilava HGSS
3 Cyndaquil HGSS
2 Ninetales HGSS
2 Vulpix PL
1 Rapidash "Wild Mane" AR
1 Ponyta "Ascension" AR
2 Uxie LA
1 Jirachi UL
2 Espeon UD
2 Eevee RR
1 Dodrio UD
1 Dodou UD

Supporters 9
2 Proffessor Oak's New Theory
2 Interviewer's Questions
2 Fisherman
2 Pokemon Collector
1 Cynthia's Guidance

Trainers 12
3 Pokemon Communication
2 Dusk Ball
1 Luxury Ball
1 Super Scoop Up
3 Moomoo Milk
2 Expert Belt

Stadiums 2
1 Broken Time Space
1 Burnt Tower

Energy 15
12 Fire
3 Psychic

Hello everyone, I am vareki. I started playing the Pokemon TCG slightly before the release of Platinum Arceus, with what can be politely described as "a bunch of illegal psychic cards, with only the synergy of 4 Beldums using call for family"

Needless to say, it didn't do very well.

After that I moved onto a Hippowdon deck, using Hippowdon Lv X and Leafeon in combination. Slightly more synergy there, but stil not good. So, finally, I moved onto playing a Typhlosion deck (coinciding with the release of HGSS). I aqquired the cards I needed for it fairly quickly, and used some bizzare techs like Jirachi RR, Blaziken E4 and Heatran AR

I quickly decided that I didn't like the Charizard deck type that Typhlo' Prime is normally used in, mainly because I liked Typhlo's Disruption capability more than 'Zard's sheer power. It also conflicted with my then draw engine of Noctowl HGSS.

That I always liked Cyndaquil more than Charmander had nothing to do with it. No, Nothing to do with it at all [whistles]

However, that is mostly irrelevant to the deck at hand. This build is made to utilize the Damage counters produced by Typhlosion Prime as a a spread system with Espeon UD's Solar Suggestion, which doubles as heal. My main problem with Typhlosion is that 70 is such a fiddly damage output. There isn't really anything that I can comfortably get the KO on. Solar Suggestion means that I can make up an equivalent 110 damage to anything I choose, as well as spreading 10s to 80hp pokemon, bringing them in range of Typhlosion's Flare Destroy

Uxie and Ninetales provide a stable Draw Engine, which makes getting the combo pieces necessary for this deck easier and quicker. I hear that Claydol made decks work single handedly pre-rotation, normally in a 2-2 line. This deck achieves a similiar, if not greater, level of speed with its lineup of Bench support.

Dodrio UD is something to make the most of Espeon switching in and out. Everything needs less than two energy to retreat, so its like I'm playing Flygon for utility. Good fun.

Rapidash is used for free retreat and decent energy costs. It also helps out against SP based decks, but thats mostly a bonus. Jirachi is the opposite, a late game devoluter to deal with opposing lines of Gyarados, Gengar, Jumpluff or even Donphan. The Spread from Espeon allows me to get the damage required for a previous stage easily enough, but its still in testing

Finally, the oddities in my Trainer/Supporter lineup.

Interviewer's Questions is fully justified, and has a symbiotic relationship with my Energy count: 15 energy lets me play 2 Interviewer's, and 2 Interviewer's let me play 15 energy. How I arrived at either point is a mystery...

Cynthia's Guidance is mostly a method of pulling BTS early. And anything I find interesting

Burnt Tower will (hopefully) retrieve a fire for me to discard for Ninetales every turn, or alternatively use for powering my pokemon's attacks. No deck dumps as much energy as Fire builds, so my opponent wont be getting as much help from it as me.

Finally, I apologise for such a long post, but I'm feeling slightly nervous, and want people to understand the deck. Please note with your fixes/rates/general thoughts that I don't own any (horror of horrors!!!) rare candies. At all

Sound like a "all the cool pokemons i can get in my deck" deck

And lets see Jirachi is mostly used for 2 Staged pokemon evolved with rare candies, if you devolve a Donphan it will evolve in you opponent's next turn.

Do me a favor choose a main attacker or two, and some techs (not 1 milion).

I thought I made it clear that the main Attackers were Espeon UD and Typhlosion Prime? Oh well, If I didn't make that clear, I have now.

And I didn't try to throw all the pokemon I like into a deck, I cant even pick out what you mean when you say that. I'm using an established Support, Back-Up attacker as a Main Attacker, and support Engines to make it worthwhile playing. I hardly see how that is just throwing cool pokemon together and hoping it works.

On the topic of Jirachi, I suppose that makes sense. Donphan is not the main focus of it, in fact it started almost exclusively for Gyarados. Putting 3 (or 5 with Expert Belt) damage counters is a lot easier than slowly wittling away at that 150hp monster. It helps to swing an unfavourable matchup slightly further away from the Auto lose portion of the spectrum.

However, its pull in the Donphan matchup is from Slamming for 70 with a Belted 'Phlosion, tanking the 60, retreating for Jirachi and devolving it for the KO in my next turn. This way, I can keep my Typhlosion Alive, and move the counters off with Espeon later, rather than risking a KO and my opponent taking two prizes that leaving it in against 'Phan decks is risking.

Finally, I apologise if the way I presented the deck caused confusion, I was feeling slightly nervous, and wanted to present my deck comprehensively (and to hopefully prevent the most common comment on my deck, "Add Charizard AR")

^Expert Belt doesn't do additional damage when placing damage counters (since that is an effect of an attack and not actual damage).

You run 15 energy, so you should have no problem drawing into them since they make up 1/4 of your deck. Also, if you play the SH6 Vulpix from Platinum, its first attack lets you search the deck for 2 fire energy.

I would personally take out Burnt Tower for Energy Restore because: it's a trainer, just as flippy, and it doesn't help your opponent, on top of keeping BTS in play.

Take out an Interviewer's for another PONT; it helps consistency and in my experiences with decks using the Ty/Tales engine large crummy hands happen. Refreshing helps.

You need Bebe's Search. If you don't have any, they should be easy to trade for since they were a league promo not too long ago. Add 2 (at least) and take out 2 Moomoo milk (you want to minimize chance, and as you mentioned, Espeon in of itself heals).

I almost don't see the point of running just one SSU. It could be situational but it could also be complete failure. Take it out and add another Pokemon Collector.

A final note: what with one Moomoo milk left after my suggestions, perhaps removing that one and adding in a third Collector would be beneficial to the deck.

Hope this helped, I like the idea.

Oh, my bad. I meant having to do 30 damage, or 50 damage if Gyarados had an Expert Belt, not that Espeon would be placing 3 Damage/5 with belt. My fault for using bad terminology.

SSU at one is slightly random, but its something I'm trying to aqquire and replace Moomoo's with. Now that you draw attention to it, it does seem kinda silly.

Bebe's Search...Well, I suppose I've felt like I dont need it, with all the speed I pull off. Although, that does sorta look a bit like a false description of the deck potency, as it can put a Field of 2 Espeons, 2 Typhlosions, Rapidash, and Jirachis ready to pull myself out of the fire (pun not intended). But it can also leave me with a Ponyta and a Prized 'Dash (something that happens stupidly often. Even when testing on Redshark, it always ends up Prized if I open with Ponyta. Always. Its downright freaky)

I will test, especially since Moomoo's have felt slightly redundany lately.

Do you really think a Third Collector is necessary? I've never played it at more than two, so I dont quite know how good it is, but it feels kinda excessive to me. Maybe, but for now, I'll keep the Interviewers, to compensate for my lack of Shiny Vulpix (purely out of interest, how often would the average player have a Shiny Vulpix for trade? I've never seen one before, Although I am somewhat in awe of its awesomeness)

I was, up until recently, playing 4 PONTs. Some of my previous builds could, and often did, empty my deck several times a game. I even ran Looker's Investigation and two Cynthia's Feelings as well, to make sure I had enough cards in my deck to continue playing at all times, while still adding incredible amounts of cards to my hand (mostly to show off, but still :p). A third wouldn't go astray.

Anyway, heres the changes I made based on your fixes:

+2 Bebe's Search
+1 Proffessor Oak's New Theory
+1 Energy Restore

-3 Moomoo Milk
-1 Burnt Tower

The Random Super Scoop Up gets to stay for now (once again, making me bemoan the time where I traded away a whopping three SSUs for Junk, not knowing its value as a card at the time [along with 4 Poketurns, Cards that I thought were mediocre at best, until it was pointed out to me afterwards by a caring, if too late, individual]) over a Random Moomoo. It lets me resuse Uxie at least, and can be the difference in losing a Belted Typhlo' and not Losing a Belted Typhlo'

Finally, thank you for your suggestions

Back