Games Fire Emblem

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer
Was a joke, but internet, so it's all good haha.

I think SMTxFE has passed the point of Persona. It just walked right over that to go straight for anime cliches to the extreme. I love me some Persona, but even it tries to keep its own identity so to speak.

...This is totally how veteran Fire Emblem fans feel about Awakening and if's direction, isn't it?
The trailer does make it look like some cliche anime, but keep in mind that it says it's expected to be rated Mature, so it should have some of that SMT spirit.

To my knowledge, long-time Fire Emblem tend to be excited about If and think the Nohr campaign is a step back in the right direction with its higher difficulty, more complex story, and lack of a world-map.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I've been playing the series since 7 (the first one released in the States), and have played all the English releases since then (if you count playing the first ~4 chapters of Shadow Dragon before getting bored and never picking it up again), plus translated ROMs of 4 and 6. I seem to be in the minority of "veterans" who really enjoyed Awakening, and I consider it to be among my favourites in the series (along with 10 and 4).

I do understand a lot of the flaws that FE veterans see in FE: very poor map design and bland map goals, cliched characters, uninspired story, unlimited grinding (was also a complaint for 8), self-insert avatar overshadowing the main lord, etc. and so forth. But the game as a whole is fun and stands on its own, and I enjoy many of the things that it added to the series. It wasn't deep, but it was fun, and definitely has the highest replay value of all the FE games.

I feel like IS is taking a bold step in the right direction with the split modes of FEif. Hoshido can deliver the simplicity and ease that newcomers primarily liked in Awakening, whereas Nohr will usher in a return to earlier aspects of the game with more detailed objectives, grittier story, removing unlimited grinding, etc. Personally, I plan on playing and enjoying both modes, as well as the mysterious 3rd version (which is apparently going to be between the other two in difficulty and I am crossing my fingers so hard in hopes that it will be a "conquer erryone" path because that would be super fun) Though I admit that I'm more intrigued in the Nohr version if I had to pick one over the other. And not just because Marx is the hottest guy we've seen so far.

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
The trailer does make it look like some cliche anime, but keep in mind that it says it's expected to be rated Mature, so it should have some of that SMT spirit.

To my knowledge, long-time Fire Emblem tend to be excited about If and think the Nohr campaign is a step back in the right direction with its higher difficulty, more complex story, and lack of a world-map.
I hope it isn't rated Mature, I almost didn't get to play Awakening, [Rated T], Which is now one of my favourite games, and I'm looking forward to FE: If, but if it's rated Mature I can't play it. :(

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Keep in mind that the M rating Cinesra was talking about was for SMTxFE, not FEif.

That said, it's been confirmed that FEif has a higher Japanese rating than previous FE games. FEif has a C (15+) rating in Japan's CERO whereas previous games have been all B (12+) or A (Everyone), though we don't know for sure how those Japanese ratings translate to other countries. Taken at face value, the C rating is between the ESRB T (13+) and M (17+) ratings, so it's hard to say which way it'll go. I think a T rating is probably more likely for NA, since M would make for fewer sales and FE has never been particular graphic, but we'll just have to wait and see. PEGI rating will probably be 16, since that seems closer to the Japanese system to begin with anyway.

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
This rating talk is reminding me once again how screwy the ESRB is. You're telling me that Smash Bros. Melee is the same as Fire Emblem Awakening is the same as Uncharted 2?

Don't worry about if being M in America, thegrovylekid. I don't see Nintendo letting it reach that point. Much like movies and the PG-13 syndrome, content will be changed up as much as possible to reach the more broad audience.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if NoA even censors FEif to keep it at T if they have to. Unless a game is specifically targeting an older audience, M ratings can be sales killers, and Nintendo/IS want all the FE sales they can get.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
So, what are people's thoughts on the Famitsu leak tidbits?

Phoenix Mode: Meh. I think it's dumb, but I never plan on using it so it doesn't really affect me at all. :U

New Pair-Up System: Really want to see the details on how this is for sure, but I'm tentatively excited. It seems like they're making it more strategic and less OP at the same time. Can't wait to see exactly how the mechanics end up shaking out.

No More Weapon Durability: At first I was :\ then I was :/ then I was :| but the more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued. I think if there's still an element of scarcity, it could work really well, and maybe actually be an improvement overall. FE:A was very generous in terms of weapons (being able to buy unlimited brave weapons, nosferatu tomes, killer weapons, and that's not even getting into SpotPass shops....) and so weapon scarcity was already practically nonexistant. So if, say, all weapons are unlimited but you only get a single Brave Lance (for example) throughout the entire game, it does make things interesting on a different level, and also encourages a good party split.

StudiousThug

Aspiring Trainer
So, what are people's thoughts on the Famitsu leak tidbits?

Phoenix Mode: Meh. I think it's dumb, but I never plan on using it so it doesn't really affect me at all. :U

New Pair-Up System: Really want to see the details on how this is for sure, but I'm tentatively excited. It seems like they're making it more strategic and less OP at the same time. Can't wait to see exactly how the mechanics end up shaking out.

No More Weapon Durability: At first I was :\ then I was :/ then I was :| but the more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued. I think if there's still an element of scarcity, it could work really well, and maybe actually be an improvement overall. FE:A was very generous in terms of weapons (being able to buy unlimited brave weapons, nosferatu tomes, killer weapons, and that's not even getting into SpotPass shops....) and so weapon scarcity was already practically nonexistant. So if, say, all weapons are unlimited but you only get a single Brave Lance (for example) throughout the entire game, it does make things interesting on a different level, and also encourages a good party split.

I was originally pretty disgusted with Phoenix Mode, but when I think about it, it could actually be a good thing. For one thing, it'll be very useful for people who just want to blaze through the game and play for the story. One of If's biggest selling points is the ability to (supposedly) drastically alter the storyline with your choices. People who just want to unlock everything quickly and play for story will find Phoenix Mode very useful, I'll wager.

I agree with your analysis on Pair Up. It seems that IS is making it far less broken by nerfing it, making it more strategic, and giving enemies the ability to use it. I approve.

All of my "Yes" to that section on Weapon Durability.

So... anyone have any waifus or husbandos yet?

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I called Marx a while ago, but I'm reserving a spot for Tsubaki on the side if he actually is a dude.

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer
Check around the reddit page or serene's forest for it. Phoenix Mode sounds stupid, but it's optional so I can't really have a problem with it. Weapon durability never seemed very strategic to me so I don't really care that it's gone, especially when proper weapon and money scarcity can replace it fairly well. It never really made sense for tomes to have a limited number of uses anyway.
So far the purple hair girl. I would say this one woman on the Hoshido side, but I think she might be the player's birth-mother, so nope.png

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
SF has information and translations from the leaked Famitsu here. They also have a new page that gives more detail for some things here now that the digital version of Famitsu has been officially released, and they also have clear images available.

We've also now gotten confirmation that Aqua really is this series' version of the Dancer, with a class called Songstress that sings to let units go again and also wields lances. There's a few other classes shown as well and some interesting tidbits.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Looks like Famitsu is going to continue to share new information about FEif each week. SF has a breakdown of the current week's info here, and here are the highlights:

• New class of weapon, "Hidden Weapon," that refers to concealed weapons such as knives and shuriken. These weapons are physically weak, but can reduce stats. They are wielded by...
  • New classes! The Maid, Butler, and Ninja classes have been announced, and also a "Great Butler" which is probably a promoted Butler.
  • These new weapons are also worked into a new weapon triangle system: Sword and Magic > Axe and Bow > Lance and Hidden Weapon > Sword and Magic
  • There are also changes to existing weapons, now that weapon durability is a thing of the past, so many weapons give different buffs or debuffs, depending on the weapon.

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
No more all Brave wielding StreetPass teams.
Only min-maxed Butlers now.

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer
Magic>Bows seems stupid to me, but the weapon triangle really never made much sense to begin with.

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
I was originally pretty disgusted with Phoenix Mode, but when I think about it, it could actually be a good thing. For one thing, it'll be very useful for people who just want to blaze through the game and play for the story. One of If's biggest selling points is the ability to (supposedly) drastically alter the storyline with your choices. People who just want to unlock everything quickly and play for story will find Phoenix Mode very useful, I'll wager.

I agree with your analysis on Pair Up. It seems that IS is making it far less broken by nerfing it, making it more strategic, and giving enemies the ability to use it. I approve.

All of my "Yes" to that section on Weapon Durability.

Well, it depends on wether or not I choose to play as male or female.

I had files of both genders on awakening, simply because there's only so much you can do with a male avatar to distinguish him from other male avatars. Being male myself, I can understand why this may be confusing, but in certain games [Pokémon X/Y, for instance] the features of the game make playing as one gender more enjoyable than the other [character customization in X/Y, for instance, gave more options to the female character than the male one.] But in Fe: Awakening, the marriage feature [Which I hope is back, but would be kind of wierd due to the plot [[seemingly]] not involving time travel.] was in a way that by virtue of there being a customizable avatar, I could simply choose the female avatar to see different support conversations or marry different people, and I respect my right to play as both male and female in video games. Besides, Ray Rizzo used a female avatar in 2012.

That out of the way....

Waifu: Sakura
Husbando: Not really sure, I'm starting as male Kamui, and none of the male characters are super interesting to me.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
The only thing that really disappoints me about the new weapon triangle is that it means they very likely won't be bringing back the magic triangle (anima > light > dark > anima) from the GBA games, which I miss. Otherwise... I'm mostly just glad that they're using a colour-coding system for weapons otherwise I would have a really hard time learning it. Some things about it are nice (for example, lances > magic really hammers home the concept of PKs being Mage-killers, which has always kinda been their place with their high Res), but other things will take a lot of getting used to (like magic being strong and weak against certain kind of weapons, which is kind of hard to wrap my head around logistically).