• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Fire and Ice. A. Ninetales GX/ Flareon

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
Was running my normal Alolan Ninetales list at the weekend at my local league and some guy swept our entire league with Metagross gx. I had no counters to it what-so ever ending in 4th place. Metagross deck took 1st place. Metagross has been seeing a bit of hype at the moment with a recent Regionals tournament so i'm concerned this will be a thing. I asked around for help, and someone suggested Flare Effect Flareon. I also talked about colourless attacks on fire types and bought up Turtonator GX. Heres the list I've come up with so far.

4-3 Alolan Ninetales GX
2 Tapu Lele GX
2 Tapu Koko (Promo 31)
1 Eevee (Sun and Moon)
1 Flareon (Ancient Origins)
1 Glaceon EX
1 Manaphy EX

4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Pokemon Fan Club
1 Hex Maniac
1 Professor Kukui
1 Pokemon Center Lady

4 VS seeker
4 Ultra Ball
3 Aqua Patch
2 Rough Seas
3 Choice Band
1 Professors Letter
1 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher

8 Basic Water Energy
1 Basic Fire Energy
4 Double colourless energy

Pretty standard Ninetales GX list, using Flareon's Flare effect that adds fire type to Ninetales allowing it to score those ohko's on the Metagross GX and other metal types. I play a single fire energy just to evolve Eevee into Flareon as soon as possible, which can also be searchable with professors letter. Flareon can also be used as an attacker, though not recommended. Especially against any metal type with over 180 HP (supposing it has a choice band attached). if you flip heads on the coin flip, you could hit 220 damage with choice band, but metagross GX has 250 HP, so even if you did do professor kukui it would still only be 240. unless professor kukui's +20 effect kicks in before applying weakness and resistance. In which case it would be a knockout. (someone will have to confirm this with me. If i'm not against a metal deck, the fire energy can provide for any one of my Pokemon's colourless attacks, such as Tapu Koko, or even Ninetales GX, and even be used as a discarded energy with its Blizzard Edge attack. Currently contemplating playing a 1-1 line or 2-2 line, but if I get the one copy out, even an active Beldom or metang falls to a flare effect powered up Ninetales using ice blade (if its active). Besides, not every match will be against Metal types. Before someone suggests I play Ancient Origins Jolteon. I don't have that card at all. Though the free retreat will come in handy at some point later.
Another card I thought off which I do have is Palkia EX, but I might need to take some more cards out for that But deck space is cramped enough as it is.

EDITS: Cards which have changed since making this post.
-1 Wishiwashi
-1 Turtonator GX
-1 Lapras GX
-1 Fan Club
-1 Field Blower
-1 Rough Seas
-1 Eevee (Anicent Origins)

+2 Tapu Koko (Promo 31)
+1 Eevee (Sun and moon)
+1 Basic Fire Energy
+1 Manaphy EX
+1 Brigette
+1 Pokemon Center Lady

Last edited:
Thought I would add my own edits now that I have more cards. (See at the bottom of the last post). Still trying to get hold of a Stage 1 Jolteon card. But some one at my local league league gave me a Primal Clash Lanturn card that only uses water energy, which could cover lightning types if i need to. Even though I have added Tapu Koko to the deck. I will contemplate Lanturn as a 1-1 line in the future. I am also thinking of adding Glaceon EX back in, but not sure atm.

The deck is running ok as it is, but this time the deck has lost to a "Goodnight Babies" Snorlax deck at the weekend. I have since realised that my deck has absolutely no way of recovering from special conditions. I could Hex Maniac to turn off the Hypno's ability, but then it comes back next turn.
I have looked at other cards for help. Pokemon Center lady can be nice. But not if you plan on using Ninetales GX's Ice Path GX attack that turn.
Sparkling Robe. But I would prefer a choice band on Ninetales.
Chaos Tower. But that can be bumped with Field Blower now.
Big Malasada/ Full Heal. a one turn heal but does the deck need more trainer cards with Garbodor running around.

If anyone can help me with this deck I would be very much appreciated.

Hi! First of all, I don't think Jolteon is so necesary in this deck. Flareon covers your weakness, and that's why it is useful. Alolan Ninetales isn't a 2HKO pokemon such as, for example, Lurantis GX, which are the ones who usually want to run the whole eeveelution set. Refered to Lanturn, I don't find it necessary too.

Glaceon EX is almost a must in this deck, although it can't take advantage from Flareon.

And for the special conditions, just run 1 PCL, with Vs Seeker you can use it when needed.

To back up the above, Big Malasada and Full Heal stack items in the discard pile and feeds Trashalanche Garbodor. PC Lady compresses good damage healing and special condition curing in one card.

Thank you very much guys for your comments.

I have removed one of my stadium slots for PCL. While building this list I was looking at the lists for the recent Birmingham Regionals top 8 and top 4, and the top 8 list ran PCL with only 2 rough seas. Still unsure on how to fit Glaceon EX into the deck.
Since the deck list is tight enough as it is I could drop back down to a 1-1 line of Flareon, though not sure if that would hurt the deck a lot. I do start with Eevee a lot in my testing with this deck.

A friend of mine has suggested that I use the sun and moon Eevee, with its energy evolution ability and play a couple of fire energy to evolve into Flareon straight away. I could spare the other space from dropping the 1-1 Flareon line for a single fire energy but I would have no way of drawing into it when I really need it.
Another option would be to drop down to 3 Aqua Patch and include a Professors Letter card to search out the fire energy.

If any one thinks these could be good ideas or whether the deck is good as it is. Please let me know.

Last edited:
I wouldn't include fire energy tbh. Maybe try 1-1 so that you can include Glaceon EX in one of thos free spots

I wouldn't include fire energy tbh. Maybe try 1-1 so that you can include Glaceon EX in one of thos free spots
Agreeing with this. Vulpix's Beacon can search out Flareon if you need it for a certain matchup. Flareon's main purpose is to give Ninetales the Fire type anyway; you don't even attack with it.

Back