Favourite Pokemon Sets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTPCProductionz

Aspiring Trainer
I was just wondering, what sets people love?. I think everyone has a favourite set, I would like to know what set people love from each generation ?. Some I have split, into sub catagories. If you can, answer just like I have.

1st Gen: Base Set

2nd Gen: Neo Genesis

3rd Gen: EX Legend Maker

4th Gen: Majestic Dawn

4th Gen: (Platinum Sets) Rising Rivals

4th Gen: (HG/SS) HG/SS Undaunted

5th Gen: Boundaries Crossed

6th Gen: X/Y (Not opened any Flashfire yet)

RE: Worst Pokemon Ever?

60-dunsparce.jpg

I think you're mistaken about all Dunsparce cards having been worthless. That's one of the best setup attackers we've ever had, especially for its time. ;p

Objectively, in the TCG, the worst Pokemon ever is probably Bonsly. It's only had 1 card, which has 40 HP and requires a coin flip for its attack.

Why do people object so much to Pokemon based on objects? The way they handled the Vanilluxe line was actually really neat IMO. They're not actually ice cream. What appears to be ice cream is actually snow, which I find cool. And Klefki is one of my favourite Gen 6 Pokemon.

It's the reaaaaaally basic animal Pokemon that bother me. This is why I dislike Gen 1's Pokemon so much for the most part. I have no problem with the ones with something interesting, like Houndour's bony spines, or ones with good-looking designs like Staraptor or Ledian, but Pokemon like Pidgey, Krabby, Horsea, Pidove, etc. bore me. Later generations for the most part have done better with this, however. Things like Zebstrika and Pyroar, while very closely based on animals, now tend to have good designs.

Not sure which Pokemon I'd consider the worst factoring in all media. I don't think I'd consider any that bad personally. Given how long the anime's been going, almost every Pokemon has been depicted in an interesting way at least once. Like the Grimer that Dawn took care of in the Summer School arc had a lot of personality to it, despite Grimer usually being a boring Pokemon. There aren't a lot of Pokemon I outright dislike. (I don't actually dislike Pokemon like Pidgey and Horsea, I just find their designs uninteresting.)

Personally I miss the HGSS era it was far far to short only 4 sets and 1 reprint.
Primes were awesome don't get me wrong I like EX pokemon but always hated that they were all basics. I'd prefer my charizard ex evolved from charmeleon.

Lengend parts were also freaking awesome and the engine was just getting started when they ditched them. I also liked the new mechanic lost zone which was under used. Anything that adds and encourages variety to a game is good with me.
Finally it was the end of powers and bodies which I always thought was good idea to separate them. It makes sense and again adds some variety as cards may block 1 but not the others.

Also artwork and card design (the backgrounds and colour scheme with the faded patchy colours was the best IMO.

Full arts are nice but they were nothing on legends.
Also don't like plasma pokemon cause I hate the blue borders. Makes cards look almost fake to me.

Original sets: Jungle. The Pokemon selected, the theme and artwork, with much of it done by <3 Kagemaru Himeno <3, were all fantastic, and a huge leap forward from the stock art and bad CGI that dominated Base Set.

Neo era: VS. I loved how the directors assigned each artist and had him or her illustrate all of the cards of one Gym Leader, and it was a big set so it provided a nice mixture of types, styles and Pokemon. The TM cards were neat and this was also the only time the Johto Gym Leaders/Elites got any focus in the TCG at all. It was also extremely satisfying to complete this set after piecing it together over the course of several years.

ex era: probably FRLG or Unseen Forces for focusing on the Kanto and Johto Pokemon, respectively. Dragon Frontiers was also really cool out of the delta series for the Pokemon selection and artwork.

DP era: Legends Awakened. Such a big set with a variety of artwork types, Pokemon and even playable cards. The pixie LV. X cards had fantastic artwork, Dragonite is one of my favorite cards ever, and it was the first set for which I bought a booster box, so I'm a little partial to it.

BW era: Emerging Powers. People ripped this set apart back in the day but I always really loved the artwork of it. It was also nice for being one of the last sets before the TCG entered an era of insanity in terms of every set having eight million chase cards.

Classic / Original Sets: I like all of the classic sets from Base Set to Team Rocket. Why? Well, because they are the original. I love the classic card design and it was the start of the tcg. How could you not like it? Although I don't think I have a particular favorite from the classic sets

Neo Sets: Pretty much the same card designs as classic sets, but it introduced the 2nd gen. of pokemon, (johto). Not a huge fan of the neo-expansion series, but I don't dislike them either.

E-Card sets: I don't like the design of the E-cards., the way they have the weird borders and everything. However, these sets introduced some big and much-needed changes to the TCG game, and I must admit, there are some bad-ass looking E-cards. Aquapolis is my favorite expansion from the E cards because it is awesome and is a pretty large expansion.

EX Series: The EX expansions are my favorite of all time. I grew up buying these cards, and when it comes to card design, I prefer this set. When it comes to the way they made the cards, I prefer this series. When it comes to awesome pokemon, I prefer this expansion. I love almost ALL of the EX expansions, though my favorites are probably: Sandstorm, Dragon Frontiers, Legend Maker, and Holon Phantoms. I also LOVE the Team Rocket Returns expansion, I though it was a great idea and they pulled off some bad ass pokemon cards. Not to mention the debut of EX pokemon is history all on itself. I also really like delta species pokemon, even though it was kind of a silly idea :p

D&P Series: I really like the Diamond and Pearl expansion series. Not as much as the EX set, but not far behind. This series is when they took pokemon cards to the next level, and we started seeing a lot more powerful pokemon cards with a lot less energy requirements to attack with. We also noticed a difference in art style and card design. I do not care for the card design as much as EX or Classic, but it is still nice. Also, many cards in the D&P series were illustrated by Kouki Saitou and Masakazu Fukuda, the two greatest pokemon card artists of all time. (Other than Kagemaru Himeno and Ken Sugimori, of course ;)) My favorite expansion from D&P is probably a tie between Stormfront and Platinum. Love those ones.

HGSS set: My least favorite expansion series in the tcg game. I hate the card designs. I hate the whole "legend" concept. Not a fan of prime pokemon. I hate a LOT of the art style and pokemon illustrations. And most of the cards were very bland and un-creative in the attack and effect department. I can only be thankful this series only lasted 4/5 expansion sets.

B&W series: I don't really like any of the newer pokemon cards. Ever since HGSS, pokemon tcg has kind of fallen apart for me. Although, I do prefer this set over HGSS any day of the week. But it is just plain stupid how powerful pokemon cards are becoming. It is becoming the norm for all EX pokemon to have 170-180 HP, there is a bidoof card that has 70hp and does 60 base damage (WTF?!). I just don't really like how the TCG game is evolving. The card designs are OK I guess, but I'm still not a big fan. If I HAD to pick my preferred expansion from b&W though, I would probably go with Dragons Exalted. My least favorite expansions are the plasma ones. I cannot stand plasma pokemon cards. IDRK why though, lol

X&Y: Don't really have much to say about this set. It appears to be identical to the black and white sets. Then again, we're only 1 or 2 expansions into X and Y, so we'll see what happens

EX Unseen Forces has some of the best artwork in the entire series. It's really a joy to look at, and a lot of the cards were competitively viable as well.

As for my favorite set, that's probably Unsung Heroes (link in sig). ;)

This is difficult since I'm not really at all familiar with any sets between Gym Challenge and Next Destinies as I stopped collecting the cards after Gym Challenge. I do own some cards from various sets inbetween, like I accumulated a pack here and there and any cards I got went into a bag. I don't own very many cards from any one set bwtween those two so I figure I bought a pack, opened it and didn't buy anymore. I'd say I stopped buying packs alltogether around 2005.

1. Gym Heroes and Gym Challenge - I really liked how they made a set for the Gen 1 Gym Leaders.
2. Neo Genesis - I only list this because I own some Japanese holos from this set that I really like(Togetic), had no idea where from until recently.
3. I'm not familiar with any sets from the 3rd of 4th gen. The e-series sets were the main reason I stopped collecting the cards in the first place.
4. I just found out Majestic Dawn existed yesterday lol. I remember finding out Durant and Braviary existed earlier this year.
5. I really only started collecting cards again with this gen because of full arts. I really liked the design of them, probably my favorite cards ever are the full arts. I don't have a favorite set though I do collect 5 sets from this gen.
6. I only collect XY so no preference.

Even though I started collecting when Base Set was released, now I find the cards to be boring compared to the full arts from B&W. I just started watching box openings recently from sets like Skyridge and HGSS which are fun to watch even though I'm not interested in buying them myself.

1st Gen: Legendary Collection
2nd Gen: Neo Destiny
3rd-5th Gen: None, as I focused more collecting other stuff instead of Pokecards during this stretch of the TCG.
6th Gen: Easily Flashfire, cuz Charizards.

1st Gen: No real specific preference. I guess Base would be my pick because of Venusaur (first ever card, got me into it) and Blastoise (the base of my best deck for years) and Charizard being Charizard. FYI, least favorite is Team Rocket, I hated that idea. Also in my mind the Gym sets fall in this category.

2nd Gen: A toss up between Genesis because of the starters, especially Wild Growth Meganium and Downpour Feraligatr (let's not forget Lugia) or Neo Revelation which brought us the legendary dogs, Ho-oh, and the first EVER shiny Pokemon. I consider the e-cards part of this era too. Didn't really hate any sets here though I wasn't over thrilled to see Dark Pokemon in Neo Destiny, and the Light pokemon were unfortunantley kind of weak, the redeeming factor for this set was the continuation of shinies, though I hated how expensive those were/are.

3rd Gen: Got into that late and honestly that was when most of the playing stopped. I liked the ex/stars and at the same time hated them because they were so expensive to get. I guess the one(s) I liked the most were the ones that gave us Delta Species Pokemon, a very unique take on Pokemon, I'd love to see them come back...which is more than I can say for the return of Team Rocket's Dark Pokemon...at least the first set had Pokemon keep their original type instead of lumping them into dark like TRR did.

4th Gen: I think my favorite set here is Arceus because of the unique Arceus rule, something that had not been seen before and hasn't been since, even with new Arceus. I hope this changes, especially since we now should have a Dragon Arceus and a Fairy Arceus to be added to the roster. For what it's worth with only four expansions (and one being basically reprints) I put the HGSS stuff here.

5th Gen: I think my favorite set here is Dragons Vault, which introduced our first new card type since Gen 2. I like the way the dragon cards look but I just wish they had gotten their own energy instead of using two or more of the same type. By extension I kind of like the other sets that gave us dragon types. Special props go out to Boundaries Crossed, not just for introducing Keldeo and Black/White Kyurem but for reintroducing the Rain Dance Blastoise back into the world after being absent for such a long time.

6th Gen: With only two sets out (and who knows how many there will be) I think it's too early to tell. Flashfire gets good points for Charizards but of course XY gave us Blastoise and Venusaur, along with the only Kalos legendaries we have gotten in card form to date. I have to say though I kind of wish that they had just made Megas evolve from regular Pokemon instead of making those Pokemon basics (instead of evolved as most of them are really),

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back