Pokemon Favorite and Least Favorite Pokemon Region

Acetrainer_Samwise

Aspiring Trainer
I was just curious to see what other people thought!

My least favorite Region: Unova.... ... ... ...
My favorite: so far... Alola, it feels kind of like a pokemon vacation from the same old routine of gym battles and the aloalan pokemon made Alola feel very unique and special!

Just my opinion and I'd Love to hear yours. :)

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Favorite: I love Johto. Not because they're apart of some of my favorite games; but I love the history and the architecture of the region. I'm a sucker for the Japanese-style architecture in cities like Eckruteak and Violet City. There are other cities I like; like Olivine, Cherrygrove and Mahogany. Johto is a region I'd be very comfortable, and happy, living in.

Least Favorite: Eh, I'd have to say...Sinnoh. It's an okay region, it's got some beautiful cities, and architecture. It's mostly because I just really did not like the Sinnoh series of games (although I did enjoy Platinum...). That's mostly where my dislike for the region comes from.

Shfinx

Meta Slave btw
My most favorite would probably be a tie between Kalos and Unova. Mainly because I'm a massive fan of what happened to the TCG during those eras, so that makes me biased. It's really difficult to pick any region, because they all have good memories with me. Reading the manga was awesome for me, and I particularly loved the mange for Ruby and Sapphire along with Diamond and Pearl. Overall, I'd say that Unova and Kalos just slightly get the edge, though. Of course, it's a very small difference, because I like all fo them.

My least favorite would probably be Alola. I don't know why, I just kinda don't like it. I know the anime had already gone down hill, but the art style switch-up definitely could have been better executed. The Pokemon weren't that original, which is to be somewhat expected as more ideas are used. In the TCG, it started the great era of re-using ideas. I realize that ideas have been re-used in the past. It's just that this feels like they're copying old ideas, rather than coming up with new ones or improving old ones. If I hear one more line about the uniqueness of Alolan Pokemon, I'm going to have to walk around with a delta species Pokemon constantly in my pocket. It's probably mostly just me finally seeing stuff being repeated from older stuff since I started playing. I understand that Pokemon is aimed towards bringing in new players with cool sounding stuff, but it gets annoying when they literally do stuff like bring back Lvl Xs and exs (lowercase intentionally).

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Favorite: Kalos. It's a tough call between it and Alola, but Kalos wins because of how detailed the region was. The castles, the culture, the clothing you could wear, etc. X&Y, though one of the worst in terms of story, was the game that marked a positive turning point in the cultural design, and influences a region could have in a game.

Least Favorite: Kanto. It's baseline and overall had the least development of any region. Every other region had better architecture, seemed to have more culture, and was more interesting to explore.

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
I'll split this into a few categories: story, concept, gameplay (games), and competitive (also games).

• Story: I think Alola and Unova are neck-and-neck for story, since they do their own unique things that shake up the old formula. Kalos, I believe, is the weakest plotline, followed by original Hoenn and original Kanto.
  • Concept: Again, I think Alola has a strong concept: a well-researched nod to Hawaii with lots of little missable Easter eggs scattered throughout for culture buffs. Sinnoh has the weakest concept in my mind; I think Poké-God, great as it is, could have been much more grandly executed, and it reused too many ideas from previous games.
  • Gameplay: Alola gets this one yet again. Slashing HMs really help cut down on the overall clunkiness of the gaming experience, all-directional movement makes things feel more dynamic, and while it might be a little railroaded at times, there's still room for open-endedness, plus Mantine surf and Battle Agency are all fun. While they are the originals and some stiffness is to be expected, Kanto seems really bare-bones by comparison.
  • Competitive: Kalos introduced a lot of much-needed improvements (some of which I wish Alola kept), from easier breeding to easier training to less obnoxious move tutors, and overall made the scene more accessible to newcomers. Everything before that (and, to a lesser extent Unova making TMs infinite use) simply pales by comparison.
Winner for me: Alola, so much so that my Touhou/Pokémon fanfiction is set there.
Loser: DP Sinnoh.

fk6284755

Aspiring Trainer
My favorite is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness (never played PMD Sky so no hating on me for that) since it is the mystery dungeon game with the longest, and in my opinion best, story. The game play allows for longer dungeons because your regular attack does more than 5 dmg (a big reason for my dislike of Super Mystery Dungeon and Gates to Infinity). The starters are nice with all the ones up to 4th gen as well as Pikachu, Skitty, Munchlax and Meowth.

The Happiness in Life increases with Positive Affirmations mp3 ...

Last edited:

THB

Well?
Favorite: Kanto, it is where I started my love for Pokémon so it will always be my favorite.
Least Favorite: All the rest mwhahaha.

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
Favorite: I love Johto. Not because they're apart of some of my favorite games; but I love the history and the architecture of the region. I'm a sucker for the Japanese-style architecture in cities like Eckruteak and Violet City. There are other cities I like; like Olivine, Cherrygrove and Mahogany. Johto is a region I'd be very comfortable, and happy, living in.

Least Favorite: Eh, I'd have to say...Sinnoh. It's an okay region, it's got some beautiful cities, and architecture. It's mostly because I just really did not like the Sinnoh series of games (although I did enjoy Platinum...). That's mostly where my dislike for the region comes from.

I'd like to kind of add onto what @Tails has said, but most importantly ask the question of "Are we talking about the regions geographically/architecturally or talking about the games that took place in those regions?"

My favourite Pokémon games are a completely different topic, so on the topic of regions themselves geographically, Sinnoh is my favourite. I love the variety of the areas and the mechanic of one large mountain splitting the region in half. You have the lakes around the region, more laid-back areas such as Eterna Forest or the quiet Twinleaf Town in the west, the snowy area of Route 216 all the way to Snowpoint City in the north, the ocean in the east and the beach city of Sunyshore, and places like Oreburgh Mine or the Great Marsh near the south. You have something new and unique in each city and the entire region doesn't have one consistent theme, allowing for enjoyable new sights wherever you go.

Acetrainer_Samwise

Aspiring Trainer
I'd like to kind of add onto what @Tails has said, but most importantly ask the question of "Are we talking about the regions geographically/architecturally or talking about the games that took place in those regions?"

My favourite Pokémon games are a completely different topic, so on the topic of regions themselves geographically, Sinnoh is my favourite. I love the variety of the areas and the mechanic of one large mountain splitting the region in half. You have the lakes around the region, more laid-back areas such as Eterna Forest or the quiet Twinleaf Town in the west, the snowy area of Route 216 all the way to Snowpoint City in the north, the ocean in the east and the beach city of Sunyshore, and places like Oreburgh Mine or the Great Marsh near the south. You have something new and unique in each city and the entire region doesn't have one consistent theme, allowing for enjoyable new sights wherever you go.

The region and its architecture/geography

safariblade

Video Gamer
Advanced Member
I think as every region is created, GameFreak puts more and more time and energy into the history, geography, and map design of the region. I think Kanto is probably my least favorite, although Unova also seemed very basic to me. (One big city, two different moutain areas, and a random desert with filler between it all.) I suppose my favorite is Alola. I thought I would hate the islands, but they work super well and I really feel like I'm exploring a themed map/game.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
My personal favourite region is Sinnoh (with Hoenn being a close second); I love the vast amount of different areas, and I've always just found a lot of places in it aesthetically pleasing.
I've actually never really thought about my least favourite - there's not really been one I inherently dislike. I'd probably have to say Kanto, but it's not that I don't like it, just that I like the other regions more than it.

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Favourite: Sinnoh-The basic idea of the 3 lakes and Mt. Coronet was good, and they built the region around that. Kalos just seems too based on France for my liking.

Aspiring Trainer
It's hard to decide my favorite region, I'll probably say either Johto or Sinnoh
However, Kanto is my least favorite region. I guess because it seems..."flat" as a region if you understand what I mean.
Plus no storyline doesn't help it any better..