'Explosive Impact,' Japan's SM8 Set; Raises Questions About Switch Release

Makes sense for a set named LOST Thunder that could focus on cards that can interact with the Lost Zone.
  • Scyther/Scizor - Scizor GX will have a non-GX atkr. 130 for a CE for the meta that are full of DCEs. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium - free RC on a Pokemon that desperately needs RC to work. 2,3/3/3-4
  • Spinarak/Ariados - Spinarak could be risky, Ariados can be a handy. 3/3
  • Pineco/Forretress - ehh ... Wait. Another whole Lost Zone thing. 2/4
  • Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff - I am bit confuse on how Skiploom work. On Jumpluff, I see what we are going here. 70HP on a Stage 2 sucks. 2/4/4
  • Shuckle-GX - 5 Geodudes. This could struggle Zoroark and Buzzwole a lot.
  • Heracross - this or either Venusaur or Sceptile could make use of it. 3 Geodudes
  • Celebi * - This card is weird until I think of something like Salazzle that triggers ability when evolved. 3-4
  • Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion - This makes me remember of the BS Charizard. Although 120 for 4 is depressing but the Lost Zone could be a handy. 3,3/3/3
  • Houndour/Houndoom - ehh. Not that impressive as a deck of its own. 3/3
  • Entei - 170 for RRC and synced with CST Magcargo? Ok. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Blacephalon-GX - am I exaggerated on the 10 energy on the LZ thing. It needs few to spam it. 4 Geodudes
  • Slowpoke/Slowking - too slow to spam Lost March. 2/2-3
  • Delibird - same thing as Mawile. Field Blower is a thing. 3 Geodudes
  • Suicune-GX - A Pokemon that has given Justice. But only the ability that seems good. 3
  • Mantine - 3 Geodudes
  • Mareanie/Toxapex - I dunno what I feel in this card. 3/3
  • Mareep/Flaaffy/Ampharos - really? Just to interact with the Lost March? 3/3/3
  • Raikou - Ampharos/Raikou is a thing. Too weak but its a thing. 3
  • Natu/Xatu - Natu is the new Pumpkaboo of the set!! 4-5/3
  • Espeon/Umbreon - Espeon is a non-GX atkr on Espeon GX, Umbreon still unimpressive. 3/3
  • Unown - really? This is so gimmicky! 3 *3
  • Wobbufet - Suck it Diancie!! 4
  • Girafarig - too slow for Lost March. 2-3
  • Nihilego - the last of the first batch non-GX UBs and usable to buy you time. 3
  • Poipole/Naganadel - we finally get the eye opener one. 4/4
  • Sudowoodo - If only has 130 HP... 3 Geodudes
  • Phanpy/Donphan - 3/4
  • Hitmontop - ehh. 2
  • Larvitar/Pupitar/Tyranitar-GX - The ability is so gosh darn good if you hit for weakness. Oh no wait 100% ability will trigger if the GX atk KOs. 3/4/4
  • Alolan Meowth/Persian - ehh 2/2
  • Marill/Azumarill - energy accel as an atk is the way that I don't like a bit. 2/2-3
  • Snubbull/Granbull - ehh. 160-190 for one on the part where 0 card hand is a rare situation. 2/3
  • Chansey/Blissey - Special Conditions are useless because Guzma is a thing. 2-2
  • Stantler - ehh 2 Geodudes
  • Smeargle - this card seems a potential. 3-4
  • Miltank - 4 Moomoo Milk = 240 dmg? 3
  • Pikipek/Trumbeak/Toucannon - Trumbeak is the Lampent of the Lost March deck. Forget Toucannon even tho 160 really hits the numbers. 2/4/3
  • React Hammer - spam this on the certain condition but people rarely spam energy on Turn 1 if you go second. 4 Geodudes
  • Lugia-GX - 4 Geodudes but I love it!
  • Moomoo Milk - good to see this card back! 3 Geodudes
  • Lost Mixer - now this really help Lost March. Instant 4-of in that deck in particular. 5 Geodudes
  • Choice Helmet - anti-CB! Yay! 3 Geodudes
  • Lusamine * - #BuzzwoleBuffAgain 4 Geodudes
  • Grass Charm - Now Lost Thunder has 4 Fairy Charms. This one blocks Golisopod. Where is for Zoroark? 3-4
  • Whitney - draw 7 is nuts. I don't think you dump 3 Whitney and use 1 to draw 7 cards. 3
  • Faba - Improved Xerosic and Field Blower! 4 Geodudes
  • Prof Elm's Lecture - flat out 5 Geodudes! Not as broken as Brigette, but it would give reason to run 60HP mons.
  • Heat Factory * - At least Scroched Earth has a better replacement. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Memory Energy - good energy card but I don't what cards could benefit of. Still DCE is better when it comes on providing energy. 3 Geodudes

I feel that Lost Zone cards will rule the format soon.

Unknow DAMAGE: shrine of punishment and a bunch of bulk gx on bench? But gonna be hard to hit the exact 66 maybe with cure cards like poison, Lana and others

Unknow HAND: This is the most complicated of the three, you could play Hau and Looker and maybe Swamperts but once the opponent play Judge or Illima is over

Unknow MISSING: This is the most easy of the three, just use the Girafararig, the only problem is that when your opponent discover your plan he just would stop playing supports, you can mix with the Slowking that discard directly to Last Zone
It doesn't have to be exactly 66. It can be more than 66.

My general synopsis of this set: Half of this set is completely broken and the other half is rubbish. And those Unowns are genius! Umbreon is trash, so that’s depressing, but Tyranitar GX is so entirely OP. Plus, I like the idea of Shuckle GX + Toxipex. The fact that Night March is back with the Lost Zone is irritating, but this set should be fun to make some trolly decks with.

That jumpluff looks like a lot of fun. Wish it counted every card in the lost zone, but that might restrict future card design.

Also, it might have been a little soon to make a card that shuts down prism star mons. Is there a busted prism star that I'm not remembering?

Just in case Night March wasn't dead enough with the removal of Puzzle of Time, Tyranitar came along.

All these gimmicks! All the cards that have something to do with the lost zone have purple mist on them, which is cool.

Those Unowns are... Interesting. Wobbuffet has a Blacephalon head in the background. Larvitar is ADORABLE. Whitney has potential. Jumpluff and Natu look like fun.

Overall, there are so many meme decks it's awesome!

Yeah I know. Best art in the set. Umbreon earned it, I don’t think its had a good card since somewhere around e reader.

Yup, you're right about that. As a collector, when a card like this comes along (I think the art is right up there with the Neo Discovery Umbreon) I like it.. A lot!

I'll say it again just to be repetitive. Espeon is a great card right there. So many energy hungry cards in the current format! And Psychic remains a viable typing on the meta game

I like Alolan Persian for a no energy raticate deck. It runs a lot of hammer type cards.

I like the smeargle card, but the art seems so familiar...

I like what they have done with the lost zone, hopefully they continue to explore some weird design space.

I like the unown alt. win cons. Have there ever been alternate win cons in Pokémon?

In short,
I like.

Oh, and Faba has something to do with the Lost Zone too!

I've been looking forward to more cards that interact with the Lost Zone. It was such an interesting mechanic that I'm glad was brought back. Just look at that Skiploom and Jumpluff!! ...Might be a bit too clunky to pull off, or at least do 1-hit KO's, but I'd love to make a deck with them.

With Skiploom’s abulity, Professor Elm, Nest Ball, Natu and Lost Mixer, I think there’s a decent number of cards to make it work. You might be able to run it with like Oranguru to be able to make the deck a bit faster. I’m really excited to see those cards.

Back