EX Legend Maker [Official Topic]

RE:   EX Legend Maker [Official Topic]

Holy Star said:
There are far much more worrisome cards in this set than that:

- Lunatone & Solrock.  Goodbye, Macargo and Pidgeot.  Enough said, unfortunetly.

- Cursed Shrine.  This hurts, like, everything.  It's a Desert Ruins for Pokemon with Poke-Powers, and that's just about every good deck gone down the drain.

This just hurts badly.

Lunatone and Solrock are nothing to worry about. Their powers rock but their attacks are subpar. They both have to be in play to activate each other remember, mostly sitting away on the bench. This takes up 2 bench spaces. With Giant Stump, they are left with 1 space for their actual deck pokemon and then their active. I dont think many people will play them together for very long when Giant Stump comes running about since they fill up the bench just to stop a maybe Pidgeot or Magcargo in the opponents deck. Sure, they are nice to use if they dont shut you off too...

Abhorsen said:
I'm trying not to complain about them directly, but their effect they will have on the entire metagame. It's really nice to verse fun and original decks once in a while instead of versing the same archtypes which appear everywhere all over the world. I am always original with my decks and almost never go archtype. I play for fun, yet play competitively. The whole game is about fun isnt it?

I wholeheartedly agree with you - it'd be a lot more interesting to see rogue decks being used in tournaments and leagues nowadays. But its only with the release of cards like these that the game can continue to remain interesting.
Cards that have an impact on the metagame will cause those currently using big decks like Colo think, "Oh, Giant Stump is a risk now - do I put in some counter stadiums, or do I scrap the deck and go for a new idea?" Go back not that long ago to Emerald and how Battle Frontier wrecked up DragTrode and other decks, what do you do, build a new deck!
With newer decks, more original tactics come into play. Where do archtypes come from? They're from people who do use original tactics as well, who end up posting their deck on the Gym for help or something and people go, "OMG! l33tHAx0R!" or something like that and can choose to make their own twist on the deck.

Final food for thought: When did an archtype last win Worlds?

Ah, good question. I actually dont know since I havent payed much attention to worlds until the last couple of years.

I dont think BF affected Dragtrode THAT much. Sure it slowed it down but all they had to do is play a counter Gym next turn or draw one to play it, then it was basically back to normal for Dragtrode. Giant Stump and Cradily will have the biggest impact I reckon. Discarding any pokemon and shuffling Evolutions into your deck is a bit too big but I suppose Nintendo have to make Some cards better than others.

Hmm, it must be me but am I the only one who doesnt go to the Gym? I prefer to stick to my little forums and not something so big :D

Yeah, you probably are the only one who doesn't go to the Gym. =D

Giant Stump will certainly have an impact, and I see it being useful against Colo, but players insistent on using that deck will work around it with counter stadiums. I'm personally not sure how many people will risk losing 2 of their benched spaces just to combat a certain deck.

What do you guys think this "exclusive EX Legend Maker merchandise" is that's replacing 2 of the prerelease prize boosters - I'd guess it'd be some sort of deck box, or perhaps this shiny new folder we're seeing on the Beach's homepage? Then again, it could just be some papery poster...oh wait, that's for winners of age groups again, ain't it?

I think that losing any 2 benched pokemon is bad, unless you Purposely played Stump to lose some or have useless basics sitting on the bench.

About the merchandise... I hope that we get something good as I would rather 2 boosters. It would be nice to receive a LM Folder or even a T-shirt (which wont happen). I dont want the boosters to be replaced by Pins or Posters as I got enough of those already :p

WPM (on the commenting system) said:
"This may be old news to some, but I have confirmed with insider sources the following information.... Instead of receiving four booster packs at the end of the tournament, everyone will receive two booster packs, plus a deck box that is themed to the new set!"

That's pretty good...I needed a couple of deckboxes anyway. Falkirk prereleases, here I come!

bass_forte said:
Dammit, I need access to the Gym. Remember that thread about awesome cards with counters that kill them, "The Flawed game of Pokemon?"? This is basically what we're saying.. hard counters. If for Lunatone and Solrock, to use [member whose name I forgot]'s example, {R} and {C} Pokemon had to discard to use their powers, people could probably live with that..
Yep, I remember it.  Written by Tennis.

And the discard idea was also suggested by Tennis.

bass_forte said:
"This may be old news to some, but I have confirmed with insider sources the following information.... Instead of receiving four booster packs at the end of the tournament, everyone will receive two booster packs, plus a deck box that is themed to the new set!"
Well if that's the case, then Shadowquake here I come!

Honestly though, why did they make a theme deck based around Golem? Wouldn't you rather just play Gengar?

Holy Star said:
bass_forte said:
Well if that's the case, then Shadowquake here I come!

Honestly though, why did they make a theme deck based around Golem? Wouldn't you rather just play Gengar?

It is not the preconstructed theme decks they are replacing two of the four booster packs with. They will be plastic deck boxes, similar to those years ago with the velcro circle to keep it closed.

Oh I must of read that wrong.

If that's the case, then Mew deck box here I come! :D

Plastic deck boxes with Pokémon artwork would be cool and awesome these days. It will be nice to have something better for storing my Dragon Shield sleeves in instead of the wearing out cardboard boxes.

The deck box idea is cool. But how are they supposed to run a 'tournament' at the prerealese when they only give you two packs??

You get 6 to play with at the prerelease - the 2 boosters and deckbox are the prizes you get for completing the event.

RE:  EX Legend Maker [Official Topic]

PokeGuru said:
You get 6 to play with at the prerelease - the 2 boosters and deckbox are the prizes you get for completing the event.

Oh, ok. I thought they were giving you two packs to build a deck, my bad... :p

masterryanx said:

No worries - in the TRR prerelease, I got a 1-1-1 Dark T-tar (Spinning Tail) line in two boosters and was tempted to save the rest and do a 37 energy deck, where I keep Grinding for much damage. =D

RE:    EX Legend Maker [Official Topic]

PokeGuru said:
masterryanx said:

No worries - in the TRR prerelease, I got a 1-1-1 Dark T-tar (Spinning Tail) line in two boosters and was tempted to save the rest and do a 37 energy deck, where I keep Grinding for much damage. =D

Lol, funny. I just wish my city's metagame would rise up again like a few years back. It's being stomped down everytime it tries to come back up by Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic. :p The owner of my local store said he'd hold prerealeses and leagues if I could get a list of 6 people who were interested. So far I've got three including myself and a maybe. :(

but is it every pre release they also will give deck box? If so, then i will have too much of deck box after i join all the pre release:p

RE:     EX Legend Maker [Official Topic]

masterryanx said:
Lol, funny. I just wish my city's metagame would rise up again like a few years back. It's being stomped down everytime it tries to come back up by Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic. :p The owner of my local store said he'd hold prerealeses and leagues if I could get a list of 6 people who were interested. So far I've got three including myself and a maybe. :(
You, my friend, should try to expand your horizon of people.

When it comes to forming small groups, I can maybe help you.

Things you ought to try:

1) See if any of the people at your store would be interested in playing.
2) See if anybody they know would be interested in playing.
3) See if any of your "friend's friends" are interested in playing.

There's at least 3 ways to expand upon your at least 6 person list.

I could more information if only I knew where you lived (Country/State).

RE:      EX Legend Maker [Official Topic]

Holy Star said:
masterryanx said:
You, my friend, should try to expand your horizon of people.

When it comes to forming small groups, I can maybe help you.

Things you ought to try:

1) See if any of the people at your store would be interested in playing.
2) See if anybody they know would be interested in playing.
3) See if any of your "friend's friends" are interested in playing.

There's at least 3 ways to expand upon your at least 6 person list.

I could more information if only I knew where you lived (Country/State).

I've tried all those things. Come to think of it though I just thought of someone else who I might want to play. :D

I live in
Central Coast/California/USA

Back