Pokemon Evolutions you think are unnecessary

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Hi everyone

Are there any evos you think are too similar to their pre-evolutions, or ones that didn't really need to happen, or ones whose design you thought were ruined?
I personally think Scyther should have become a cool praying mantis thing, and then they went a ruined it with Scizor.
Another one is Vigoroth. The line goes lazy, energetic, lazy. I'd rather of had Slakoth to Slaking and have Vigoroth as a seperate Pokemon.
(Note: Please don't just make a list of random evos and justify the reason they should not have evolved with Eviolite)

keldeo91

Intermediate Hacker
Sneasel -> Weavile - Weavile just looks like Sneasel with a pink crown. It's just not creative at all.

Murkrow -> Honchkrow - Honchkrow just looks like a bulky Murkrow with a different style of hat and a white chest.

Lickitung -> Lickilicky - Just look at Lickitung next to Lickilicky. Again, not creative.

Nosepass -> Probopass - Probopass is just... ugly. I don't like him at all. Seriously, what's up with that mustache???

Tangela -> Tangrowth - First of all, I don't really like Tangela either. Went from being a walking tangled ball of vines, to a giant, walking, tangled pile of vines. Just weird. Also, evolving while knowing AncientPower really doesn't make sense for a Grass-type.

Notice how all of these are Generation 4 evos? I think a lot of Pokemon that evolved in Generation 4 didn't need evolutions.

safariblade

Video Gamer
Advanced Member
I think that all evolutions are unnecessary. Charizard > Charmeleon any day.
But yeah, the little ones are cute so they have to stay.

But I dislike when they add evolutions of a certain Gen into another Gen. Like Magmortar or Electivire, etc. They should've thought of it at the time haha.

What I TRUELY do not like is when different stages of an evolution look too similar. For example, Snivy - Servine. He just got taller. Or the Pidgey line. Some of them work, but some could easily have been a stage one Pokemon. B/W is especially bad about this.

Setzer (Harry)

*Evil Laugh Here*
Dusknoir. While an OK ghost type in RSE days, who was really begging for an evolution.

And Spoink. I love Spoink, but loathe Grumpig.

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!
keldeo91 said:
Lickitung -> Lickilicky - Just look at Lickitung next to Lickilicky. Again, not creative.

This. There are truly very few Pokémon I dislike, and this is one of them. While an evolution for Lickitung might have been a good idea, I thought it was very poorly executed. Lickitung at least had some form...Lickilicky is a round ball.

Vortex

Bass Musician Since '11
Setzer (Harry) said:
Dusknoir. While an OK ghost type in RSE days, who was really begging for an evolution.

And Spoink. I love Spoink, but loathe Grumpig.
NOOO! Dusknoir is amazing! Or have I misunderstood your post?

Dusknoir mainly got me into Pokémon.

Anyway, evolutions I hate are Watchog, Tranquil, Budew, Furret and Linoone. Note how these are mostly Normal types - best left basics.

brOkenice

Still an Ice Expert
I like Budew and Furret.

I hate Linoone. Zigzagoon 4Ever.
I don't think Magnezone is necessary, but I do like it's design.

Hyunbin

~오. 아. 오~
I think all of Gen IV's new evolutions were unnecessary, although I did like a few of their designs.
I would have preferred all new Pokemon in their place.

frostwind

I'm baaaacccckkkk
I think most middle pokemon dont really need to be there. Plus i hate the gen 4 evolutions middle starters (stabs prinplup)

Starrk

Who are these people?! ;-;
I could simply pick from a great majority of Generation 4's Unnecessary evolutions,But I've managed to narrow it down to one...

I would have to say Dusknoir.An already rather bulky pokemon,Dusclops IMO did not require an evolution.Dusclops can indeed manage all of what Dusknoir currently can and has done,I found it rather odd that dusclops received an evolution whilst many other pokemon (Quilfish,Dunsparce) require one...

frostwind

I'm baaaacccckkkk
It wouldnt have been as bad if bannete also got an evolution and became a formidable physical sweeper. But dusclops gets eviolite and dusknoir looks cool

Vortex

Bass Musician Since '11
I see nothing wrong with Dusknoir. He looks a lot better than Dusclops, and has some great moves. He is my joint favourite Pokemon with Chandelure. I personally think that all Stage 1s are needed in terms of evolution and symbolising a steady progress. You can't jump straight from Turtwig to Torterra. Also, I love the Gen IV extra evolutions in general. Dusknoir, Porygon-Z, Electivire, Magmortar... but what happened to a Jynx evolution?

Glace

Top 8, Worlds 2013
Advanced Member
Me too. I love the Gen 4 extra evolutions. I think the baby pokemon (namely smoochum) weren't needed.

Netherwing

Why do I sentence up my messes?
:O The babies were epic!
I like most of the Gen IV evolutions. Lickitung did need an evolutionary relative, but... a baby would've been better?

OFF TOPIC: On the subject of Lickitung, did you know it's beta name was "Tungtyde"? That would've been an epic name for a baby Lickitung!

Vortex

Bass Musician Since '11
Wow, yeah. There's still a chance for a pre-evo to be released. A few names could be improved, definitely. And a few poison-types should just have been ditched altogether.

frostwind

I'm baaaacccckkkk
I think there should be more baby pokemon, but have access to moves their evolutions cant get (but seperate from egg moves)