Help Espeon EX devolve attack on Talonflame

Mariano11887

Goalkeeper
Hi everyone!

There is something that came up to my mind and I almost couldn't sleep last night because of this :p.
What happens if I start the game with Talonflame and my opponent uses Miraculous Shine attack from Espeon EX? The attack says "Devolve each of your opponent's evolved Pokémon and put the highest Stage Evolution card on it into your opponent's hand.". As far as I know, Talonflame is considered as an evolved Pokemon besides it has no previous evolutions below him at that moment. So, I think it will return to my hand with no possibility of putting it into play again. Am I right?

I know there was a section in the forum to ask for specific card ruling, but I was unable to find it :(

Nope you would not put the card into your hand. "Evolved Pokémon" are ones that have actually evolved. (Gone from basic to stage 1 or 2, break, or mega) "Evolution Pokémon" are ones that are not basic.

So Miraculous shine effects evolved Pokémon, which Talonflame is not.

However, Glaceon EX's Crystal Ray attack effects evolution Pokémon, which Talonflame is. (Just as an example of a different wording that would effect this unevolved stage 2 Pokémon)

The wording is a little tricky. The same idea would apply to a stage 2 Pokémon who was put into play via Archie's or Maxies. (Stage 1 also, but I can't think of a deck that uses those supporters for stage 1)

Here's the ruling from the Compendium using a Frogadier as an example:

Miraculous Shine (Espeon EX - BREAKpoint)
Q. If a Frogadier is in play by itself from the "Water Duplicates" attack, will Espeon-EX's "Miraculous Shine" attack return it to its player's hand?
A. No. In this case, Frogadier is in play as an Unevolved Stage 1, so there is no evolution to return to the hand. (BREAKpoint FAQ; Feb 11, 2016 TPCi Rules Team)

Crystal Ray (Glaceon EX - Fates Collide)
* Glaceon-EX's "Crystal Ray" attack makes it immune to damage done by attacks from "Evolution Pokemon". This is a new term that means any Pokemon that is an evolution card. So a Stage 1 Frogadier brought to the Bench by "Water Duplicates" would be affected by this. Basic Pokemon and Restored Pokemon are not affected. (Fates Collide FAQ; May 5, 2016 TPCi Rules Team)

Since the redesign the "Ask a professor" section is gone/incorporated into the main section from what I can tell. I'm not a professor so hopefully it's ok that I looked this up and answered your question.

Edit: Figured I would post a link to the Compendium in case you want to look at other rulings or need some late night reading ;)

http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-bw.html

No problem. Minor clarification I thought of, Talonflame is not an evolved Pokémon when you start with it by using it's ability. It is an evolved Pokémon when it evolves from it's basic, Fletchling, via rare candy, or it's stage one, Flectchinder. The Break is always an evolved Pokémon.

Since you mentioned you were asking about it specifically when you start with it I assumed you would know what I meant, but for the benefit of anyone who is unfamiliar with the card/mechanic I just wanted to clarify this. It's the Steam Siege Talonflame with the ability to start with it as your active when the game begins.

No problem. Minor clarification I thought of...

The distinction has been around for a while.* ;) It used to have a clunky phrasing, but recently it is as simple as cards like Glaceon-EX referring to "Evolution Pokémon" while Espeon-EX refers to "evolved Pokémon". Yeah, even the "e" versus "E" is from the text. XD

*I realize you knew that already, but I was just taking advantage of your phrasing to piggyback the point. Though maybe I should not have as it only matters with older cards.

Back