'Eruption Walker' Japan's Mini-Set for April!

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
Haha wasn't expecting Psychic canned food SR. I had anticipated the 2 item SRs were going to be the parasol and bell.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Nice, shiny Rillaboom! Best starter this gen, easy. As much as I absolutely hate Cinderace and dislike Inteleon, they better give the other two shiny cards to complete the trio in future sets, even though they're promoting more competitively-focused single prize Pokemon for these. You can't just do one part of the group and leave the rest out (even though they have, multiple times).

They never said anything of the sort with these gold rares. The only assumption is that they are giving them to competitively-worth mons so meta players have a chance to at least bling their entire mon line. You can't really have that expectation when the other two starter cards have little to none competitive value, that's how it is.

Last edited:

Kaizaac

Aspiring Trainer
They never said anything of the sort with these gold rares. The only assumption is that they are giving them to competitively-worth mons so meta players have a chance to at least bling their entire mon line. You can't really have that expectation when the other two starter cards have little to none competitive value, that's how it is.
I think they’re giving gold cards to the prerelease promos.

itsAdoggo

yamperyamperyamper
These all look really great except for Stunfisk - nothing against the pokemon or the card, but it just feels very plain.

Malavok

Aspiring Trainer
Nice, shiny Rillaboom! Best starter this gen, easy. As much as I absolutely hate Cinderace and dislike Inteleon, they better give the other two shiny cards to complete the trio in future sets, even though they're promoting more competitively-focused single prize Pokemon for these. You can't just do one part of the group and leave the rest out (even though they have, multiple times).

Leaving cards out has pretty much been the standard in Pokemon TCG for a long while now, just like how Moltres EX never got a full art, while Articuno got many. I wouldn't be surprised if they left the others out.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Man, they are making some bad calls if they expected these gold Pokemon to be strong competitively.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
The pre-release promos are done because they think they are the best or most powerful single prized mons in the upcoming draft format, which is true for Frosmoth and Rillaboom.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I don't expect it at all, that's why I've said they've left out Pokemon in a group before, many times. I'm just saying it'd be nice as someone who only likes the TCG for it's collectible aspects. The Pokemon getting SR's are most likely why you say they are, it's the same thing with why gold items even exist. I just think it would be nice if they did a gold starter trio-it'd be a nice little thing to collect that would look good together, akin to something like Ancient Origins' gold primals/Rayquaza. Most likely not going to happen, but it'd be nice to get things like that just a little more often.

Leaving cards out has pretty much been the standard in Pokemon TCG for a long while now, just like how Moltres EX never got a full art, while Articuno got many. I wouldn't be surprised if they left the others out.
Oh I agree, I never expect Pokemon to do things like that, especially these days, but it's still sometimes nice to think "hey, wouldn't this be cool if they did something like this?"
I don't think them leaving out starters would be as big of a letdown as not giving every Mega or Legendary an EX when they were about this close to doing so, but I wasn't surprised that they left out some of them.

Swampert Full Art

#GROOKEYGANG
And the shiny rare is...
THE MONKY!
hqdefault.jpg

The [Shiny] MONKEY!

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
I haven't tried Rillaboom, but consistent Frostmoth feels like an oxymoron.

Both I can say from experience have alot of potential in the metagame, they were all just missing some key pieces.

Frosmoth- when playing Lapras VMAX I consisently found myself being one energy short of a KO. But water bucket should make that alot easier now.

Rillaboom- Grass box was missing power. Mewtwo+Dragonite was the closest we had but it felt limited. Rillaboom VMAX from testing is a pretty good card

Cincinno- we're going to get in the future and we know how great of a card that is. Even if cincinno mill goes away.

Perrserker- We don't know yet. Glad we got the Meowth that can evolve itself. In the future it can see some uses

Otaku

The wise fool?
The gold mons have already demonstrated their worth in meta - at least true for Frosmoth and Rillaboom.

With all the major events canceled, it is a bit hard to verify that claim. I remember both being talked up quite a bit before their release outside of Japan... including by myself. The results I expected never materialized, though @jamashawalker seems right about what the decks were missing. I think. I hate to say it, but I've fallen behind at one of the worst times to rely on Theorymon and the results of others. XP