• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Epidemic Poison (Dustox / Golbat / Gengar EX)

Team Rocket Fan

Team Rocket Lover and Humble Katy Cat!
I wanted to try a different type of deck. So I decided to put some of my favourite poisonous pokemon together to create "Damage Spread" deck.

Pokemon: (23)
  • 3 Gengar EX (PHF)
  • 4 Wurmple (RS)
  • 4 Cascoon (DEX)
  • 4 Dustox (RS 8)
  • 4 Zubat (Unleashed)
  • 4 Golbat (PHF)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: (28)
  • 2 Cheren
  • 4 Pokemon Center Lady
  • 4 Giant Cape
  • 1 Professor Juniper
  • 4 Cilan
  • 2 Evosoda
  • 2 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Potion
  • 2 Team Flare Head Ringer
  • 1 Rock Guard
  • 3 Training Center
Energy: (9)
  • 9 Basic Grass Energy
Strategy:

I think those 3 pokemon work pretty well together with their hidden potential. When Zubat evolves it puts 2 damage counters on a pokemon and then uses Swoop Across to damage all opposing pokemon quickly. Golbat has a free retreat cost making it easy for him to get back to the bench easily. Gengar can damage heavily over and over with many HP for protection pokemon on the opponent's bench trying to set up with his Night Attack. Then Dustox comes in and finishes them off with separate strong blows of Wind Shard giving me 2 prize cards and 3 for EX pokemon. You may think "Why not Crobat?" Although Crobat would also be helpful in this deck but I wouldn't like to sacrifise Golbat's attack for Crobat's one cause it's just more reliable hitting ALL opponents. As for the trainers, you must have saw already that I focus more on HP and how to restore them. Giant Cape, Nurse Joy, Potion, Training Center....They're all here to help me win slowly by putting damage counters on other pokemon. Professor Juniper and Cheren will help me on a situation of bad hand, Ultra Balls and Evosodas are what I need to fish the pokemon I want out of the deck. Head Ringer is just sooo annoying and also makes the opponent slow making them need one more turn to set up and hit back. Rock Guard is to havily damage the defending pokemon while my active attacks the oppoent's benched ones. :p (Sounds a bit complicated but it isn't) Since my energies are too few but no more are needed for those "economic" attacks I want, 4 Cilans are kind of essential cause I won't be getting that many energies by luck if I only rely on 9 of them. So what do you think??? :)

Last edited:
Interesting concept you have here! I'll just like to note that Zubat from Unleashed is not available in the Expanded format. Besides, the Free Flight Zubat of Plasma Storm is much better and consistent in decks, allowing you a bit more freedom, especially at the start game. You really shouldn't be focusing on healing damage as much as you are. Most decks in the current format focus on 1-hit KOing things like EXs, which a Dustox + Giant Cape + Training Center only just reaches. There are bit ways to utilise these spots, anyway. I think your Golbat strategy is also slightly flawed. You will find that 10 damage on everything is simply not worthwhile when considering most of your opponents will be 180HP EX monsters which will likely decimate your Golbat in a single hit. Crobat is just soooo much better with a much bulkier HP and allows you to hit EXs much easier than a measly Golbat. If you really want spread, you could try Flygon BCR with Gengar-EX's Night Corridor. On the subject of Gengar-EX... I once again, I do not see the worth of using Gengar in this deck. 3 damage counters is very measly for an EX, which could easily get KO'd by your opponent.

-4 Cilan (You can get your energy by drawing into them. How? By using much more Juniper and other draw cards.)
-4 Pokemon Center Lady (Not an amazing card like you seem to make it our as. It uses your supporter for the turn, and as I said in that paragraph above, most decks in today's format seems to like 1-hit KOing.)
-4 Giant Cape (Hard Charm is surperior if you want to go defensive as it prevents damage straight away, but I think EXP Share would be the best tech.)
-3 Potion (Your opponent will most likely laugh at you when you using a Potion competitively.)
-2 Cheren (Inferior in nearly every way. Expanded offers much better draw.)
-3 Training Center (Not a worthwhile Stadium. You want to be whittling your opponent's HP, not giving them more.)
-1 Wurmple (Too many!)
-3 Cascoon (I like to introduce you to an amazing card. Rare Candy.)
-1 Dustox (Too many!)
-3 Gengar-EX (I'm not sure if this is worth it. There are other Pokemon you could utilise better, I think.)
-1 Rock Guard (The common Tool Scrapper and Startling Megaphone nullify this as a threat. What your deck needs is consistency, and consistency comes in the form of either Computer Search or Dowsing Machine.)
-2 Team Flare Hyper Gear (Could be good... but probably not. You've got better cards to utilise this space.)
-2 Evosoda (Not worth a spot in this deck, and does not activate the Bat's ability.)
-1 Grass Energy (You shouldn't need /that/ many.)

+3 Professor Juniper (This is such a great card! It allows you to draw through your deck to get what you need, which nearly nothing else has the power to do. If you have no draw, you can't win a game.)
+4 N (Don't underestimate this guy. The disruption and draw this card packs is quite outstanding.)
+3 VS Seeker (An amazing card.)
+2 Skyla (To get those Rare Candy and other important cards in tough spots.)
+2 Lysandre (Great disruption, and great for moving your opponent's Active to the bench when you need to snipe it with Dustox... or bringing out pesky Mr Mime PLF.)
+1 Tool Scrapper (If you ever come across a Garbodor LT, you'll be in trouble.)
+2 Rare Candy (This card is pretty amazing in decks that run Stage 2 like your Dustox. Bypassing the Stage 1 is amazing.
+3 Crobat (Really good.)
+3 Frozen City (Now this may seem like a really weird choice... but being able to snipe your opponent that is accumulating damage from the stadium is great synergy.)
+1 AZ (To pick up your Bats.)
+1 Computer Search (Consistency.)
+3 EXP Share (This allows you to build up Dustox while bypassing the Frozen City damage.)
+3 Super Scoop Up (To pick up your Bats.)
+3 Level Ball (An amazing card in virtually any evolution deck.)

Wow! Great advice! I never thought of these cards, actually. But they seem pretty well to me now. Thanx so much for the Flygon you showed me! It looks just the perfect one for this deck! Super Scoop Up also seems a good strategy for the bats family. I'll use Crobat instead of just Golbat now that you mention it. Rare Candies also seems interesting! More proffessor are good indeed. 2 Skylas aren't bad too. I just feel that Pokemon Center Ladies are awesome cards that heal you for free and everything. I'll keep 2 of them. I'll try to somehow add Flygon in. Gengar is out I guess. Thanx a lot!!

Wow! Great advice! I never thought of these cards, actually. But they seem pretty well to me now. Thanx so much for the Flygon you showed me! It looks just the perfect one for this deck! Super Scoop Up also seems a good strategy for the bats family. I'll use Crobat instead of just Golbat now that you mention it. Rare Candies also seems interesting! More proffessor are good indeed. 2 Skylas aren't bad too. I just feel that Pokemon Center Ladies are awesome cards that heal you for free and everything. I'll keep 2 of them. I'll try to somehow add Flygon in. Gengar is out I guess. Thanx a lot!!
Haha, no problem! Flygon/Dustox (and maybe even Genger-EX with it's Dark Corridor attack) should really be a different deck to Bats/Dustox. Having Flygon/Dustox/Bats will undoubtedly clunk up your deck and be nearly impossibly to run consistently. I'd either try one or the other. I'm still against using Pokemon Center Lady, but try testing your deck with it on TCGOne and see how often you use it. Also try playing a few games with the same deck and opt to use something like Juniper or N over the Lady whenever you can, and see how you go. Anyways, have fun with you playing!

Haha, no problem! Flygon/Dustox (and maybe even Genger-EX with it's Dark Corridor attack) should really be a different deck to Bats/Dustox. Having Flygon/Dustox/Bats will undoubtedly clunk up your deck and be nearly impossibly to run consistently. I'd either try one or the other. I'm still against using Pokemon Center Lady, but try testing your deck with it on TCGOne and see how often you use it. Also try playing a few games with the same deck and opt to use something like Juniper or N over the Lady whenever you can, and see how you go. Anyways, have fun with you playing!
I think I'll try a Dustox/Flygon one. It sounds great. Thanx!

Back