Energy annoyance/shutdown Gothitelle, Krookodile & Crushing Hammer.

Valid Strategy, Would you sue it?

• Total voters

Tobi_Akatsuki's_Idiot

I choose you Ninja Brian!
SO my question is, is this a Valid Strategy? BTW I'm counting Cards from Black & White Base Set and Up^ so no HS sets...

48-gothitelle.jpg

62-krookodile.jpg

92-crushing-hammer.jpg

And possibly:
56-excadrill.jpg

So I'm thinking, interrupt the energy flow of your opponent and do damage at the same time, just a basic thought as its been a while since I cared about the TCG so forgive me if my analytical skills are a bit rusty...

Emperor

???
It's a viable option, the only problem is finding a pokemon that can act as a good main attacker while being able to disrupt your opponents energy resources. Gothitelle would probably be the better choice over both Krookodile and Excadrill mainly because of the energy cost however it does fall prey to a Blue Flare/Bolt Strike but that's not a overly huge problem. (Well i will be if you wish to go to tournements with this deck idea)

However there isn't a lot of pokemon who would support that particular Gothitelle apart from a few odd techs just to try and tip a certain match-up(s) in your favour. However because you're limiting this to just cards from the Black a White set and upwards you're not going to be able to use some of the beneficial cards to help aid this strategy; Junk Arm being one as that coupled with Crush Hammer gives you plenty more opportunities to discard your opponents energy as well as Lost Remover which gets rid your opponents special energy 100% of the time (mainly for anything using DCE) Lets just look at a few cards you could pair Gothitelle with:

Zoroark BW - This card is mainly a counter against Reshiram/Zekrom so just instantly OHKO them if they have 1 damage counter on them already or with the help of a Plus Power. but it can be used to copy other powerful or annoying attacks (Magnezone primes Lost Burn for example) It shouldn't really be used for it Nasty Plot attack as that would require adding in Rainbow or {D} energy, but if you want it to be able use that attack then the addition of Rainbow Energy over {D} energy would be better.

Victini NV (Ability) - i forget the particular number of the Victini but it's the only one with an Ability. This cards main function would be to just stay on the bench so you can use it's ability to allow you to reflip for any attack that you used (refer to Gothitelle). So if you tried to discard energy on the defending pokemon via Mental Shock but landed a heads then you can use Victini to reflip for that attack.

Rocky Helmet NV - This is just helps cause additional damage to the defending pokemon, but it only works if the pokemon Rokcy Helmet is attached to is damaged by an attack.

Gothitelle NV #47 - In this particular deck this Gothitelle wouldn't work as well but you could add it. It stops your opponents from playing trainer cards which can be useful to avoid certain pokemon being 'Catchered' (Pokemon Catcher) or you could just use it to just finish up the game by charging it up with {P} energy making Madkinesis do alot more damage (It does 30 damage plus 20 for every {P} energy attached to it)

That's pretty much all i have right now.

Tobi_Akatsuki's_Idiot

I choose you Ninja Brian!
X_empoleon_X said:
Zoroark BW - This card is mainly a counter against Reshiram/Zekrom so just instantly OHKO them if they have 1 damage counter on them already or with the help of a Plus Power. but it can be used to copy other powerful or annoying attacks (Magnezone primes Lost Burn for example) It shouldn't really be used for it Nasty Plot attack as that would require adding in Rainbow or Darkness energy, but if you want it to be able use that attack then the addition of Rainbow Energy over Darkness energy would be better.

Victini NV (Ability) - i forget the particular number of the Victini but it's the only one with an Ability. This cards main function would be to just stay on the bench so you can use it's ability to allow you to reflip for any attack that you used (refer to Gothitelle). So if you tried to discard energy on the defending pokemon via Mental Shock but landed a heads then you can use Victini to reflip for that attack.

Rocky Helmet NV - This is just helps cause additional damage to the defending pokemon, but it only works if the pokemon Rokcy Helmet is attached to is damaged by an attack.

Ok those are very good points. Exactly how Does Zoroark BW help me though is it just a Countermeasure against Reshiram & Zekrom?

and you bring up a Good point with the Victini(R) with the Ability. I had considered that.

But how does junk arm help, i have to discard 2 cards, recycle does nearly the same thing coupled with Cheren...

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS
It doesn't really seem very good to me. Gothitelle, Excadrill, and Krookodile all need to be active to use their attack/power, and there's no way you can reliably switch between them. Frankly, compared to G/R, this wouldn't have any of G/R's positive matchups, but wouldn't do all that much better against its negative matchups, so I don't really see a reason to run this over Gothitelle/Reuniclus. Also, Junk Arm is probably the best trainer in the meta, while Recycle is unusable in any competitve deck. How can a 50% chance of getting a card after you need it beat a 100% chance of getting it when you need it?

Cinema

Gyarados Bait
I don't think this will work, there is too much energy acceleration in this format, in the forms of Gatr, Emboar, Typhlosion, and the new Elekrtic which is being paired with Thundurus and Magnezone.

Emperor

???
Tobi_Akatsuki said:
Ok those are very good points. Exactly how Does Zoroark BW help me though is it just a Countermeasure against Reshiram & Zekrom?

and you bring up a Good point with the Victini(R) with the Ability. I had considered that.

But how does junk arm help, i have to discard 2 cards, recycle does nearly the same thing coupled with Cheren...

Zoroark is used to copy Reshiram/Zekroms attacks seeing as Gothitelle surely can't OHKO either of them while they can OHKO Gothitelle. Zoroark can also be OHKO by them but with a single Plus Power Zoroark can use Foul Play to copy their attacks (Blue Flare and Bolt Strike) and KO them keeping your deck in the "prize race".

Recycle is just horrible. If you look at all the decks (the good well built ones) you'll see that none of them run Recycle because 1) it's flippy 2) it puts the card you want back ontop of the deck. Though it has the advantage of being able to put anything to the top of your deck the downfall is that if you need a specific trainer card to use at that moment in time and you lacked a Cheren/Juniper/Sage's Training in your hand at the time, you're pretty much stuck. Whereas with Junk Arm - at the cost of 2 cards in your hand you can get any Trainer into your hand for immediate use. Plus there are ways to reduce the sting of losing 2 cards ino your hand

*If your list plays Energy Retrieval and you can 2 {P} energy in your hand you could easily discard both {P} energy and get a trainer, then use Energy Retrieval to get those energy cards back (i do this all the time in my TyRam build)

*Sometimes you have dead cards in your hand that won't help you anymore or cards you can live without for the remainder of the game. Junk Arm gets rid of them for a Trainer card.

Though some of these situations are rather situational (no pun intended) they do occur and often enough it's usually the 2nd senario where you have dead cards in your hand. Junk Arm is essentially and extra copy of all your trainer cards (if said cards has already been used).

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Aggelcor is definitely better than Gothitelle or Excadrill, but it's still not enough to make this deck good. I think the only deck that makes use of energy denial is Durant, and that only uses Crushing Hammer. Of course, the Sharpedo troll decks also use energy removal tactics (or some of them do.)