• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

EMPOLEON IS A FOUR LETTER WORD FOR AMERICA

Alaska

formerly princemeat skarmheart
I really like the idea of this deck, but I have no idea how good my list is as I built it in a McDonald's in like 8 minutes. Please help guys!

Pokémon: 15
4-2-4 Empoleon
x3 Emolga DRE
x2 Terrakion NV
x1 Mew EX

T/S/S: 35
x4 N
x3 Juniper
x3 Energy Switch
x4 Rare Candy
x4 Pokémon Catcher
x3 Super Rod
x3 Ultra Ball
x3 Switch
x3 PlusPower
x2 Tool Scrapper
x2 Random Receiver

NRG: 10
x6 Water
x4 Blend WLFM

Strategy: Start with Emolga and get out a few Piplups with it. Set up Empoleons, use Attack Command and do some damage, and use Diving Draw to set up more Empoleons. Use Terrakion for Retaliate and Land Crush if need be.

I like 4 Rare Candy! I get to play 1 from each of four sets, what's not to love?
I guess I'll take your suggestion though.
[animate]shelmet[/animate][animate]shelmet[/animate][animate]shelmet[/animate]​

No, I would rather have 4 rare candy than switch.

-1 Switch
+1 Rare Candy

Bo$$_89 said:
No, I would rather have 4 rare candy than switch.

-1 Switch
+1 Rare Candy

Alright well I'll keep this for now because this way I don't have to unsleeve a card.
laziness is a beautiful thing kids
[animate]shelmet[/animate]

Keep the 4th candy if you want. It helps you to get the T2 Empoleon, but it does depend on your playstyle. The only thing I see that is overkill would be 4 Energy Switch. I would take one out for an Emolga. In this deck, the more, the merrier.

Mora said:
Keep the 4th candy if you want. It helps you to get the T2 Empoleon, but it does depend on your playstyle. The only thing I see that is overkill would be 4 Energy Switch. I would take one out for an Emolga. In this deck, the more, the merrier.

Alright, I'll put in another Emolga.

After some extensive playtesting prior to the Regional tournament, I also built and decided to play an Empoleon deck. I found the big penguin to be a extremely efficient attacker along with a very good card drawing bonus! My version is slightly different in that I also included Stunfisk which is an amazing F Poké. The deck played well too at Regionals and I would have made T32 had I not made a knucklehead mistake....

By the way, your list above has 16 Poké, not 15; and 34 Trainers (T/S/S), not 35.

My suggestions:

+1 Emolga. You really, really want to start with this Poké; so, it should be maxed out. During the game, these can easily (with no harmful impact) be discarded for Diving Draw. Also, you really, really, really don't want to start with with Mew EX nor Terrakion.

-1 Rare Candy. With 2 Prinplup, 3 RCs will be quite sufficient. Also keep in mind that your opponent may be reluctant to fill his/her bench early game since it fuels Empoleon's attack. So, your opponent's reaction (i.e., not filing his/her bench) is an advantage for you. Eventhough you may not KO opponent's Poké early, early game 60-80 damage output is still annoying (and will have your opponent playing his/her Max Potions early, instead of late game).

-1 Super Rod. 2 SRs will be quite sufficient when you don't over commit to Diving Draw (and replace the Ultra Balls). I suspect you've relied upon Diving Draw quite a bit, especially since you have only 7 draw cards currently - which, imho, is too few (Besides, what if your opponent gets a Tooled Garbodor into play T2?).

-3 Ultra Ball. This particular deck does not need you to "dump" cards into your discard pile for any special purpose. Nor is there any real advantage gained by "thinning your deck out" too early when you need to play the UBs.

+4 Pokémon Communication. Although UBs get you the Poké you want, the cost of dumping 2 cards may not be completely justified when you could also use PCs. I've found that with an Emolga start and 4 PCs, I can get setup consistently by T2/T3 at the latest.

-1 Plus Power.
-2 Tool Scrapper. Again, after playtesting (and some debate with Poké pals), I believe Plus Powers are more valuable than Tool Scrappers. PPs counters Eviolites or Tooled Garbodors, and many players don't even run Tools; so, Tool Scrappers can sometimes be of no use. But, PPs can always be used and 2 PPs are sufficient in this deck, imho.

-1 Water energy.
-2 Blend energy.
+4 Fighting. You can NOT Energy Switch special energy, nor can you Super Rod these back into your deck. Also, quite a few players run Hammers; so, you need plain Fighting energy in the deck.

+2 Cheren. To improve your drawing ability and lessen your dependency on Diving Draw.

TuxedoBlack said:
-3 Ultra Ball. This particular deck does not need you to "dump" cards into your discard pile for any special purpose. Nor is there any real advantage gained by "thinning your deck out" too early when you need to play the UBs.

+4 Pokémon Communication. Although UBs get you the Poké you want, the cost of dumping 2 cards may not be completely justified when you could also use PCs. I've found that with an Emolga start and 4 PCs, I can get setup consistently by T2/T3 at the latest.

I actually like this idea. I'll get on it now.

Back