296d850.png

Card of the Day: Empoleon​
29-empoleon.jpg

Pros
-Amazing attack for just one energy.
-Nice draw ability.

Cons
-It's a stage 2.

I've actually played an empoleon deck on TCGO. The deck was missing a lot of key elements to make it work, but empoleon worked well enough. Having built in draw support helps the deck get going once empoleon hits the field. It also lets you get away with using less supporters and more search cards.

It's not a fantastic attacker since it relies partly on your opponent to get it powered up. There will be times when you'll only be able to get empoleon up to 70 or 80, but for the cost of one energy, you can't complain.

Not as game breaking as blastoise or hydreigon, but you can't help that against him. 8/10

Artwork 7/10: nothing special.

The poke-power is pretty good. 140 HP is also pretty decent, being weak to electric isn't as big a deal with Zekrom not being played as much. 120 for 1 energy is also pretty good. Unfortunately though, it is a Stage 2, which makes it hard to set up. Thankfully, Ditto helps this deck quite a bit, since turns in play carry over, while also adding damage to the attack. I just wish there was something obvious to tech with it. Mew EX and Aerodactyl are just rofl.

7/10 for playability, just because 1 {W} for 120 is cool. Once Exeggcute comes out, 8/10 because you get free draws every turn.

6/10 for Artwork, it's ok. Not great, just ok.

The Ability is certainly one of a king for this format, which is a plus. The HP is pretty good, and if you slap on a Giant Cape, it's even better. The attack for a single (water) energy is great because you can simply Max Potion and be attacking that same time. The partners (Roserade [DRE], Accelgor [DEX], LandorusEX [BC], and so on) that can go with this card make it one that is as versatile as it is simple to understand.

The picture, is, kinda boring lol.

Finally, it's a GREAT card for new players. It gets them using one of the simpler cards around, along with the fun of drawing cards. If there's anything I've learned... it's that new players enjoy drawing a lot of cards.

Playability: 8/10
Artwork: 3/10
New Player Playability: 10/10

Great ability for it to be easy to spam it or have a nice draw. 120 for 1 energy makes it excellent though it requires your opponent to play lots of pokemon unless you are playing the aerodactyl version. With Exeggcute it is monster. 2 free draw every turn. So good Exeggcute will come in May (I think).

Playability: 8/10
Art 8/10

Back