• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Empoleon Deck Feedback

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 4 Piplup UPR 32
* 1 Remoraid BKT 32
* 1 Octillery BKT 33
* 2 Prinplup UPR 33
* 4 Empoleon UPR 34

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 2 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 2 Rescue Stretcher BUS 165
* 4 Aqua Patch GRI 119
* 2 Brooklet Hill GRI 120
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Ultra Ball FCO 113
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 1 Pal Pad FLF 92
* 2 Brigette BKT 161
* 3 N NVI 101
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 4 Rare Candy PRC 135

##Energy - 10

* 8 Water Energy Energy 3
* 2 Counter Energy CIN 100

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I've been having fun with this deck since Ultra Prism came out; Empoleon can benefit from an opposing Brigette setup.

For those who don't know, Empoleon focuses on filling your bench with as many Pokemon as possible and benefitting from an opponent's huge bench with Total Command, which inflicts more damage the more benched Pokemon are on the field. Whirlpool is used roughly 5% of the time for guaranteed energy denial on the active if I need to stall for a bit of time or if there aren't enough benched Pokemon for Total Command to outdamage it.

Because this is a stage 2 deck, it has a lower Sycamore count than usual; Cynthia is in here for a hand refresh without discarding important resources if I'm stuck. The Counter energies are here as techs to let Empoleon attack for a single attachment if I'm falling behind.

Some questions/concerns:
-When Wake comes out in English, what should I switch out for that?
-Do Empoleon decks usually run secondary attackers besides Empoleon itself? If it does, are there suggestions for those attackers?
-I've been flip-flopping between the Brooklet Hills and the extra Octillery line; I'm not sure which one is ideal.

Last edited:

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
I've been playing Empoleon online all day and it's a lot of fun! I run one copy of Lapras-GX because it's first attack makes it a great opener and it's second attack hits for 190 damage with a Choice Band which is relevant. If your opponent is limiting their bench on purpose to avoid getting OHKO'd, you can use Lapras-GX. Plus, you have a GX attack you can use. I personally run a 2-2 Octillery line with no Brooklet Hill and I haven't have any issues filling my bench.

I don't know what I would take out for Wake at the moment, but I wouldn't even think about that until the next set comes out.

Tapu Lele

Inflated and Overstocked
I'm going to do a bit of testing with Empoleon later tonight.
I'm going to experiment if splash energy is preferable over counter energy

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Not sure if I would run counter energy but if I was watch and learn sudowoodo is a great alt attacker against zoroark there's also mimikyu for buzzswole

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
I'm going to do a bit of testing with Empoleon later tonight.
I'm going to experiment if splash energy is preferable over counter energy

Not sure if I would run counter energy but if I was watch and learn sudowoodo is a great alt attacker against zoroark there's also mimikyu for buzzswole

So I've been running 8 Water Energy and 2 Counter Energy and it's been really nice. This deck tends to go down in Prizes early while you're setting up so being able to slap down a Counter Energy is huge.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
So I've been running 8 Water Energy and 2 Counter Energy and it's been really nice. This deck tends to go down in Prizes early while you're setting up so being able to slap down a Counter Energy is huge.
Absolutely there's a colorless cost so if you go up in prizes it's not a big deal it's if I were to build it I would stick to patches instead of worrying about enhanced hammer and stuff but either way works

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
Hey @PlatinumDude, glad to hear that you like Empoleon as well! I run a somewhat different list than yours as it uses Splash Energy instead of Counter Energy, but there is a card I would like to suggest even if you don't like Splash Energy. I hope it helps!

Wishiwashi (SUM): I have found that this card works really well in this deck as you can throw it into the active, Aqua Patch, attach from hand, and return Wishiwashi into your hand to repeat after your Empoleon gets knockout. This is the reason Splash Energy has been working for me as I can handle one Energy attachments per turn with Aqua Patch to speed things up. Also, if you need to bench another Pokémon and you don't have the room, you can pick up the Wishiwashi and clear some space for the new Pokémon. Even without Splash Energy it helps with Aqua Patch. A good one of card for these reasons I would think.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Hey @PlatinumDude, glad to hear that you like Empoleon as well! I run a somewhat different list than yours as it uses Splash Energy instead of Counter Energy, but there is a card I would like to suggest even if you don't like Splash Energy. I hope it helps!

Wishiwashi (SUM): I have found that this card works really well in this deck as you can throw it into the active, Aqua Patch, attach from hand, and return Wishiwashi into your hand to repeat after your Empoleon gets knockout. This is the reason Splash Energy has been working for me as I can handle one Energy attachments per turn with Aqua Patch to speed things up. Also, if you need to bench another Pokémon and you don't have the room, you can pick up the Wishiwashi and clear some space for the new Pokémon. Even without Splash Energy it helps with Aqua Patch. A good one of card for these reasons I would think.
Would you mind sharing your list? I'd like to compare both lists and see what I like about both.

FrostBiter12

Would you mind sharing your list? I'd like to compare both lists and see what I like about both.

Sure, here it is! Let me know what you think!

##Pokémon - 18

* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 2 Piplup UPR 32
* 2 Piplup UPR 31
* 2 Remoraid BKT 32
* 1 Wishiwashi SUM 44
* 2 Octillery BKT 33
* 2 Prinplup UPR 33
* 4 Empoleon UPR 34

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 4 Aqua Patch GRI 119
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 N FCO 105

##Energy - 11

* 7 Water Energy XYEnergy 9
* 4 Splash Energy BKP 113

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Sure, here it is! Let me know what you think!

##Pokémon - 18

* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 2 Piplup UPR 32
* 2 Piplup UPR 31
* 2 Remoraid BKT 32
* 1 Wishiwashi SUM 44
* 2 Octillery BKT 33
* 2 Prinplup UPR 33
* 4 Empoleon UPR 34

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 4 Aqua Patch GRI 119
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 N FCO 105

##Energy - 11

* 7 Water Energy XYEnergy 9
* 4 Splash Energy BKP 113

Total Cards - 60

That's an interesting way to use a Wishiwashi, but the lack of Field Blower concerns me since the opponent can use Parallel City to limit their own bench on purpose and weaken Empoleon's damage output.

FrostBiter12

That's an interesting way to use a Wishiwashi, but the lack of Field Blower concerns me since the opponent can use Parallel City to limit their own bench on purpose and weaken Empoleon's damage output.

Yeah, funny thing is that I forgot to play Field Blower in the first place and now I can't find room for it. I've also been trying to incorporate a Prof. Kukui or two as well just in case your opponent decides "well, if I play just one less bench Pokémon then usual, they can't OHKO". Prof. Kukui just helps fill in the blanks if your low on damage output. Do you have any ideas for what to remove for these cards? I was thinking that I can...

-1 Float Stone: With Wishiwashi, I'm not in major need of two Float Stone so I can do without one.

+1 Field Blower: Brooklet Hill can take out opposing stadiums such as Parallel City, so one Field Blower will have to do.

I don't know what to do about Prof. Kukui, but it isn't necessary. I would like to find room for two at the least, but I may not be able to. Anyways, I hope this helps you @PlatinumDude, good luck with Empoleon!

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
I remember when I unboxed Empoleon from my prerelease kit and instantly fell in love with it, so much so that I bought the theme deck so I could finish it (although the theme deck comes with the 60 HP Piplup, which kinda sucks). Since then, I've had tons of fun with it both in real life and online, and I can't wait for it to become Standard legal.

Personally, I use a Zoroark variant. They both have similar strategies related to the bench, and Zoroark can still hit for big numbers regardless of the opponent's bench. Plus, it provides useful draw support, and can be powered up with a DCE. If you want to see my decklist, I can post it.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
I remember when I unboxed Empoleon from my prerelease kit and instantly fell in love with it, so much so that I bought the theme deck so I could finish it (although the theme deck comes with the 60 HP Piplup, which kinda sucks). Since then, I've had tons of fun with it both in real life and online, and I can't wait for it to become Standard legal.

Personally, I use a Zoroark variant. They both have similar strategies related to the bench, and Zoroark can still hit for big numbers regardless of the opponent's bench. Plus, it provides useful draw support, and can be powered up with a DCE. If you want to see my decklist, I can post it.
That would be helpful; I'd like to see how to squeeze in Zoroark in this.

Attix

That would be helpful; I'd like to see how to squeeze in Zoroark in this.

##Pokémon - 18

* 2 Zorua PR-SM SM83
* 2 Zoroark-GX PR-SM SM84
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 1 Manaphy-EX BKP 32
* 4 Piplup UPR 32
* 2 Prinplup UPR 33
* 4 Empoleon UPR 34

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 4 Aqua Patch GRI 119
* 2 Brooklet Hill GRI 120
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Professor Sycamore PHF 101

##Energy - 12

* 8 Water Energy 3
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

Attix

Come to think of it, that would work if I got into Expanded...