Empoleo/Terrakion Deck Help

Red Striker

VGC Trainer
After some time had passed, I'd heard about how Empoleon/Terrakion decks were making a mark for itself in the competitive world. After puling two Empoleons at a DE prerelease, I figued, "hey. I got most of the materials. Time to see what I can do." Besides, I've been running VileRom EX for sometime now, and needed a deck change.

So, let's go over a few things first.

For starters, the top threats in my area happen to be the following. Those marked with astricks are top threats.

• **ZekEels**
  • **Durant**
  • **Dark Decks**
  • CMT
  • ReshiPhlosion (hard to believe this is still played)
  • Mewtwo in general.

With the three most dangerous decks, one can easily see how Terrakion can help. It can wipeout two-thirds of top threats. As for Durant, I find that Heatmor will be suprisingly usefull. So, let's say what we have so far is this:

3-2-3 Empoleon (DE)
3 Terrakion (NV)
1 Heatmor (DE)
1 Mewtwo EX

We don't need so many Heatmor, as it's only main use will be against Durant or discard foughter for Empoleon's Ability. Mewtwo is a common tech in this format, and without in in most cases, it's gg. ReshiPhlosion doesn't stand a chance, as Empoleon with OHKO, quite literally, everything in the deck (so long as the opponent has atleast 4 pokemon in play, with me at 6). CMT is going to be difficult. Sure, I have a Mewtwo, but most people who run CMT have spare Mewtwos as well. The only way to land the OHKO on Tornadus is if atleast eleven pokemon are in play via Empoleon. Tornadus EX on the other hand might start to become a problem. With averything already in the deck, my best bet is to try and 2HKO Thundurus EX with Empoleon. I just need to do it quick enough, as the same can be rendered unto Empoleon as well.

Dark Decks usually loath the site of Terrakion, and for one reason: it's a Fighting type. Fact is, Dark Decks are one of the reasons for having Terrakion in the first place. The other reason? ZekEels. With Retaliate, I can OHKO non-Evolite Zekrom EX (PlusPower solves this), but that's the problem. For this to work, I need to have a pokemon already KO'd, which can be extremely risky. The other option is to charge up with two {f} and a {C}, but that might take a bit too long, considering the fact that Terrakion is OHKO'd by Zekron EX anyways. In spite of how much I'd hate to do this, perhaps Evolite Laddorus could work. It has a resistance to Electric (-20), as well as doing damage to the bench. Some drawbacks, however, is the fact that it is still OHKO'd by Zekrom EX, as well as the fact I'd be hurting my bench as well. Since I need a deck for when rotation comes around (which isn't too long from now), I'm not even considering Donphan right now. Empoleon is useless against a ZekEels deck because of its Electric intolerance, and at full power, Zekrom (normal) can still survive.

So, point of focus number one: how to solve the problem with ZekEels.

Now I'm sure you're wondering just what the initial skeleton might look like (in my idea):

~Pokemon (13)~
3-2-3 Empoleon
3 Terrakion
1 Heatmor
1 Mewtwo EX

~T/S/S (44)~

3 Heavy Ball
2 Communication
3 Catcher
3 Switch
3 Exp. Share
2 Rare Candy
2 Evolite
4 N
4 PlusPower
3 Revive
2 Super Rod

~Energy (17)~

2 DCE
(I'm currently unsure how to divise the rest of the energies. All I do know is that they need to be Fighting and Water).

For those who love their scans:
29-empoleon.jpg

19-heatmor.jpg

99-terrakion.jpg

98-mewtwo-ex.jpg

Back