TCG Fakes Elica, Lantern of Calamity

Diego_Brando

British Jockey
It's good practice, if you don't wanna get bored of making TCG fakes, to write a story about your set. Even if it's just a few lines, it can help you set the tone and give you direction.
Although it might sound different, I'm presented with a deceptively similar challenge: I have to tell you a story. I'll be sure to make some Pokémon TCG fakes along the way so I don't get bored.

In this thread I'll post TCG Fakes from a number of different sets I already planned out, they won't really shine in playability or believability, but I hope they will succeed in setting up a mood. I hope they will tell some of this so you can have fun filling in the gaps with your imagination.
I'll complement them with the full artwork (sometimes) and comments, feel free to use the artwork for your fakes if you want, just credit me properly as with any other artist.

This said, feel free to comment on anything you want (wording, effects, playability etc...) as the cards come out, thank you for your attention. I hope I'll give this project the time to grow with me, if so, this next sentence will make sense:
Enjoy Elica's tale.

DarkraiDeltaSet.jpg

An ominous presence floats over Elica's borders, it seems curios about its own newfound powers. As it plays around in pink sparks, you might think it does not look so ominous anymore.

ElicaBorderCb.jpg
Hanging around Elica's border, everything seems so much bigger than you.
Power lines leave the city without as much as word, just a faint buzzing sound; the wind comes from nowhere, it has no information to share with you, but the news an incoming storm; even gods can enter and escape this place at their will.
You are the only one stuck in, held only by an endless source of mystery and the willingness of accepting a question as an answer.
As you wish, my friend, take a look at the sky, let those questions pile up.

GastlyMix.jpg
For those who wander inside Elica's border: TRY TO REMEMBER YOUR STEPS.
HaunterLJ.jpg
For those who decide to remain, or are too lost to leave on their own: you will feel trapped.​

GengarLj.jpg
For those who mastered the roads of this labyrinth, you already know me too well.

I'm the tilted scale of Justice: ruler of the complacent, warden of the evil, enemy of the brave.
Fear my Judgement.​

Attachments

• GastlyLJ.jpg
    GastlyLJ.jpg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Illus. Diego Brando
The Haunter and Gengar literally feel like fourth generation Mitsuhiro Arita illustrations. I’m not sure if you are deliberately trying to emulate that effect, but if you are, you’re succeeding! These two cards look like they could have been pulled from Diamond and Pearl series packs! (The Gastly also looks nice, I’m just not sure what illustrator it reminds me of.) The one suggestion I would like to make concerning illustration style is that the grass from Gengar’s illustration could have benefited from a grainier texture. As it is, it feels less detailed than the rest of the card, given that most other surfaces in the illustration have either crosshatching or more detailed gradients. The holofoil definitely negates this effect, however, and I’m not sure if the added detail could have been fully appreciated through the Cosmos foil anyways.

I would suggest asking Jabberwock to add you to the list of illustrators on the Discord resources page, with a link to this thread. Come to think of it, I would recommend uploading them to another website like DeviantArt and sharing that link as well. Media links can break and forum uploads can be lost in data breaches, and there are enough imageless threads on this forum to show that just posting image-based resources on this forum does not guarantee that those resources will be available for future generations. DeviantArt is where I have uploaded my photographs, but I intend to create a portfolio using Weebly in the future, both for preservation reasons and for personal preference reasons.

(EDIT: I logged onto Discord briefly to reply to a DM I received an email notification for, and I noticed you had some dynamax Eiscue art. If you have any other art that you’re willing to let people use under the same terms and conditions as those stated above, could you please put them somewhere on this thread so people can access them? You never know who might be using Dynamax Pokémon in their set and are desperate to find great art for any Dynamax Pokémon that isn’t a Gigantamax form. Or who might be desperate to find great art for Noice Eiscue, for that matter. What I’m saying is that you will help the greatest number of people by making resources as accessible as possible, and art you post in Discord will get buried very quickly, reducing the odds that people will find it when they need it.)

I enjoy seeing these cards and encourage you to keep up the good work! Hope you are doing well.

Last edited:
The Haunter and Gengar literally feel like fourth generation Mitsuhiro Arita illustrations. I’m not sure if you are deliberately trying to emulate that effect, but if you are, you’re succeeding! These two cards look like they could have been pulled from Diamond and Pearl series packs! (The Gastly also looks nice, I’m just not sure what illustrator it reminds me of.) The one suggestion I would like to make concerning illustration style is that the grass from Gengar’s illustration could have benefited from a grainier texture. As it is, it feels less detailed than the rest of the card, given that most other surfaces in the illustration have either crosshatching or more detailed gradients. The holofoil definitely negates this effect, however, and I’m not sure if the added detail could have been fully appreciated through the Cosmos foil anyways.

I would suggest asking Jabberwock to add you to the list of illustrators on the Discord resources page, with a link to this thread. Come to think of it, I would recommend uploading them to another website like DeviantArt and sharing that link as well. Media links can break and forum uploads can be lost in data breaches, and there are enough imageless threads on this forum to show that just posting image-based resources on this forum does not guarantee that those resources will be available for future generations. DeviantArt is where I have uploaded my photographs, but I intend to create a portfolio using Weebly in the future, both for preservation reasons and for personal preference reasons.

(EDIT: I logged onto Discord briefly to reply to a DM I received an email notification for, and I noticed you had some dynamax Eiscue art. If you have any other art that you’re willing to let people use under the same terms and conditions as those stated above, could you please put them somewhere on this thread so people can access them? You never know who might be using Dynamax Pokémon in their set and are desperate to find great art for any Dynamax Pokémon that isn’t a Gigantamax form. Or who might be desperate to find great art for Noice Eiscue, for that matter. What I’m saying is that you will help the greatest number of people by making resources as accessible as possible, and art you post in Discord will get buried very quickly, reducing the odds that people will find it when they need it.)

I enjoy seeing these cards and encourage you to keep up the good work! Hope you are doing well.
Glad you enjoy this thread! I am indeed going for Mitsuhiro Arita style (for this line), but the Gastly art style is kinda random. ("maybe" I'll do an Arita style full art variant in the future.)
I now asked for my Deviantart to be put in the resources artists links on the server, it will get there eventually.

Here's my Devinatart link, most of the illustrations I make are there. If you want some other illustration that you've seen and you can't find there, just ask me on discord, I'll have at least the .jpg, if not the .psd. There's a deep, lore related, storytelling-driven reason why I don't upload ALL my illustrations there, that is, I forget to do so.

For each mountain we see there must have been a giant big enough to put it in its place.
I wish I could talk to one of them and ask them how did they know how to stop,
did they talk with each other? Do they all like what they accomplished and feel satisfied with their work?

Last night I had a dream; one of them got lost on its way to make the last adjustment and it was slowly walking towards my town.
It wasn't ominous or scary, it was gentle and asked me if it could move the mountain in front of my home,

DeltaRegigigasCB.jpg

so I could finally see the ocean.

It wasn't ominous or scary, it was gentle and asked me if it could move the mountain in front of my home,

View attachment 19075

so I could finally see the ocean.
*Gasp* Escape at last?!
That line “so I could finally see the ocean” was one of the most moving lines in this anthology of poetic pieces. Please tell me verse (post) 2 no longer holds true and you can enter and leave Elica at your will?

*Gasp* Escape at last?!
That line “so I could finally see the ocean” was one of the most moving lines in this anthology of poetic pieces. Please tell me verse (post) 2 no longer holds true and you can enter and leave Elica at your will?
I'm afraid it was just a dream.
Elica's Border is not exactly a geographical constraint. I bet that, if it was just that, anything could hike a few miles and be out of it.
But you're right, there's no doubt that the dream was brought forward by a feeling of entrapment, Elica is indeed surrounded by mountains that make it difficult to see beyond the border.

I say this because I know for sure there's no ocean that would be so geographically close to be seen from there.

Back