Ekans, Arbok ex from ‘Pokemon Card 151’!

while i do like the idea of menacing fangs's secondary effect, i think in this current meta a lot of top decks dont get hurt that hard at all from discarding. in the case of something like lugia vstar, sometimes you WANT to discard cards from your hand

i could still see this card seeing play in some anti-meta deck at some point in the future, because the secondary effect can be really good depending on the meta
Not against Gardevoir and Lost Box tho. Sableye can just pin down Ekans and Gardevoir choose to discard energy to make use of the ability.

Anti-meta decks ain't meta rn. Have you look at the top decks rn? It is always the same Mew, Gardevoir, Lugia, Arceus, Lost Box, all over again.

Que the "its not good" ha, until someone tops with it and everyone goes crazy over it. Just because a card doesn't seem like it has a place in the current meta doesn't mean it won't in the future....

You're the second person I see using the same flawed logic to try and counter-argument others saying a card is bad.

"Just because a card doesn't seem like it has a place in the current meta doesn't mean it won't in the future"

That would've been a good argument if the reason people were saying the card was bad was simply a matter of metagame context. It's not. The problem is not only metagame context, cards have parameters that matter and can be analyzed on their own as well, and those don't look good for Arbok, period. If you look at attack costs X return on investment alone, just to name a single parameter, you can already write the card off, you don't even have to get to the part where you'd actually look where it'd fall in the metagame.

Sure, it'd be amazing if the game design was at such a height, that at any point people could break new ground with "some random card that no one was believing in"...but it's unfortunately not. Far from it actually. For the most part, the meta is pretty much scripted, with the best cards being all pretty obvious outliers from the rest of the jank that comprises about 95% of sets. The little space left for "innovation" in deck construction these days is much more about techs and fooling around with different builds of the same general concept or archetype. So no, no one's gonna "top" anything with Arbok ex anytime soon, unfortunately.

Not against Gardevoir and Lost Box tho. Sableye can just pin down Ekans and Gardevoir choose to discard energy to make use of the ability.

Anti-meta decks ain't meta rn. Have you look at the top decks rn? It is always the same Mew, Gardevoir, Lugia, Arceus, Lost Box, all over again.
when i said "in the future" i meant like in a few rotations from now, like a year down the line or smthn. my b if that wasnt clear

also anti-meta decks are never meta; the point is to sacrifice conventional strengths to go against the grain. what i mean is that at some point in the future, maybe there are meta decks that hate having to discard stuff & arbok can pop up in an anti-meta deck to abuse that. nothing crazy, just trying to understand card's niches

Back