Eighth Gen consoles announced - Thoughts?

Haunted Water

DEFT Lunar
So Sony has came out of hiding to throw in their 8th Gen console. With the Xbox 720 already known to the general public, and with Nintendo loling at the both of them with the Wii U already out, it's safe to say that the Eighth Gen is upon us.
While the two American companies are keeping their designs basically secret, Sony became bold.
Really bold.
Sony announced that the PS4 has a new technology integrated into it, and it is probably going to decimate the company's gaming division.
They stated that a game that plays on a PS4 for the first time that copy has been played, ever, it will not work on any other PS4. Basically, they said that pre-owned games will not work.
Now, I haven't heard much from Microsoft, but the 720 is looking to be the best choice for the eighth gen, imo.
What about you guys? What would you most likely get out of the three consoles and why?

I thought both of them were going to destroy the second hand market.
Well, since Microsoft hasn't come out saying that it will be the same as the PS4, I'll assume different Xbox's can play the same game. Could this mean that the PS4 will not have backwards compatibility and the Xbox will?

I'm don't know whether to be pleased or angry about the pre-owned games thing.
On one hand it will teach people to research the game and actually be sure when they buy a game. On the other, people won't be able to safely take risks in buying a game that they might actually like.

Actually Sony didn't say if this would or would not be on the PS4, they just filed a patent that blocks used games.(source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/report-new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games )

But if it is in the PS4... well I won't be supporting it. I understand that there are some positives to it, but there are too many negatives that outnumber the positives. Not to mention in the long run, this is a bad idea, because when they stop making copies of a game, you probably won't ever get the chance to play that certain game, ever.

Also, used games can help, because if someone buys a old game used, and likes it, they could get the sequel to that game when it comes out, new. If the PS4 blocks used games, then that can't happen.

If the PS4, or any console for that matter, ever has this technology that doesn't allow for used games to be played, then I will not be buying that console. Personally, it will not effect me that much because everywhere that sells used games is too far for it to be economic, so I always end up buying new games that I make sure I will like (Borderlands 2, Skyrim, Dishonored). Regardless, that could change, and I can see it putting a dent in the profit of businesses that sell used games. The last Sony console I had was the PS2, looks like it will stay that way unless the PS4 has something incredibly revolutionary. While recently Microsoft has been making a few choices I don't agree with *coughcough*Windows 8 is a heap of garbage*coughcough* I will probably get the 720, assuming I get a console. I am probably going to join the PC gaming master race though. XD

@pokemaster899: I checked it, but it has been stated by SourceFed about 2 weeks ago that the PS4 will most likely have it. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
One thing that might actually persuade me to get the PS4 regardless is something that was speculated in an article I read after that one: inFAMOUS 3 might be a possbility. If Sucker Punch makes another inFAMOUS, I will not only get so excited that a may just club a baby seal, but go completely insane and trample people to get a PS4 and a copy of iF3.

Sony pretty much just shot themselves in the foot with the whole anti-used thing. No used games means that people are going to have to put out more money per game, and some people just can't afford that, especially not in this economy. Not sure whether or not I'd get it, I'm probably going to try more PS2 and PS3 games first to see if there's any franchises that I really like. As for Microsoft, they do seem to have the superior technology, but Microsoft doesn't have as many great franchises as Nintendo and Sony, and none of the few that they have are from my favorite genre (platforming). I'm probably only going to get it if it has more 3rd party exclusives. I'm definitely getting Wii U, and one of the other two, but which one I get is going to depend on what kind of games each console gets.

Spammy said:
If the PS4, or any console for that matter, ever has this technology that doesn't allow for used games to be played, then I will not be buying that console.
I am probably going to join the PC gaming master race though. XD

The majority of PC gaming has already eliminated the secondhand market: It's called digital distribution. Steam, GOG, Desura, etc. have no way for one to sell their games. The only way to obtain a secondhand PC game is by the dwindling use of physical media. This has been a topic of debate, including a ruling that digital media should be able to be sold, but games are cheap enough digitally to the point where only AAA games are $50 or $60, and when you buy them, you buy them for good reason.

So, granted, an actual lockout of secondhand games on a console will be jarring for many, and there’s sure to be increased buyer’s remorse, but it’s been this way for a while in the PC market.

Rofl....so Sony wants to take out ever GameStop preowned section.

I'm guessing Sony is just going to make a graphics update and keep the same controller and Microsoft about the same. I don't like graphics wars, because I simply don't care all that much for a game to look realistic and more be artistic and unique.

catutie said:

I'm guessing Sony is just going to make a graphics update and keep the same controller and Microsoft about the same. I don't like graphics wars, because I simply don't care all that much for a game to look realistic and more be artistic and unique.

Same here. A lot of them have pretty much gotten caught up in the spectacle of it all and forgot that the gameplay matters more.

Bolt the Cat said:
catutie said:

Same here. A lot of them have pretty much gotten caught up in the spectacle of it all and forgot that the gameplay matters more.

I like how Nintendo has done it, they know they don't have the best graphics out there so they make up for it in innovation, gameplay, and art style

Sony has the best graphics going for them but lack originality and innovation (I laughed so hard when the move came out....4 freaking years late, I laughed even more when I found out the ball on top glowed.....and is squishy. Sorry they lost my respect after that, the little I had)

Microsoft is a bit of a mix of both, they have the graphics and the style and game play of some games is unique. Some of there innovations fall flat (kinect....we don't have the technology yet, sorry.) the only problem is that like 70% of its library is all FPS....I don't get it, and people will fight to the death about how they are all different but I just don't see it. That's fine that you like FPS, to each his own, but just admit they are all almost similar.

If Microsoft can pull off a less buggy kinect that would be awesome and it would be worth it, if Nintendo can make the wii u worth while (my god the opening game line up SUUUUUUUCKS) then it's and interesting and unique console. If Sony can make games so realistic that I think I'm there...and then in 2017 release a tablet accessory to the ps4....then I'll still have no respect for them.

catutie said:
Microsoft is a bit of a mix of both, they have the graphics and the style and game play of some games is unique. Some of there innovations fall flat (kinect....we don't have the technology yet, sorry.) the only problem is that like 70% of its library is all FPS....I don't get it, and people will fight to the death about how they are all different but I just don't see it. That's fine that you like FPS, to each his own, but just admit they are all almost similar.

Yeah, if there's one problem with Microsoft, it's its first party lineup. There's a distinct lack of variety in its first party titles, all they really have is Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Fable, and Kinect titles. That gives them two shooters, one RPG, one racing game, and a ton of casual games. Meanwhile, they're missing some key genres. Where's the platformers? Fighting games? They're going to have a harder time winning people over if they don't have a solid lineup of exclusive titles, right now they're only really appealing to the HD crowd, FPS fans, and casuals and not much else. I have a feeling that's going to come back to bite them if that doesn't change.

Actually, the Xbox appeals to many. The only reason why Xbox is in competition with the PlayStation is because it has less version exclusives, which are currently kicking its ass. If you think about it, PS3 has Unchartered, inFAMOUS, God of War, etc. Xbox only has the aforementioned (it used to have Saint's Row, but the sequel was available to PS3, and a nod to Syndicate). GTA is a disgrace to PlayStation imo. Graphics are the same, because the game determines how the graphics are, but the fps rate is different. PS3 can play Blu-ray, too.
SourceFed released a video on PS4 specs, I'll try to link it in sometime later.

I think first party titles really makes the system.

Nintendo has alot of platforming with Mario and Kirby (Mario....stop), adventure games with Loz, real time strategy with Pikmin, turn based rpg with pokemon, racing with Mario kart, now shooting and adventure with kid Icarus and also star fox, fighting with ssb, and then obscurities with things like wii fit and wii ____

Sony has its racing with mod racers, platforming with little big planet, adventure with uncharted and gow, fighting with Sony all stars (I want this game), turn based rpg with FF, an I'm sure there is alot of others but I'm not and avid Sony fan

Microsoft as has been brought out is a little....behind. They have PLENTY of shooters....and that is fine but that's really it. I think they are just trying to ride the trend right now. They have the kinect games too that cover more genres like dance games and adventure games with fable (at least the new one) but if they widen out a bit they could have the top system by far. Until then it will be cut throat and if Sony goes ahead with there "no used games" idea then they could just take themselves out of the running (gamefly would be out for ps3 games, borrowing games is out, renting games is out, preowned games is out) and people would also won't buy as many games because of it. I can tell you that most of my games are preowned and if my systems did that then most of my library would be useless. I hope for there said that they don't do that or they are going to lose alot of support. And if they have bluray again I wonder if it will do anything to those disks.

Bolt the Cat said:
catutie said:

Yeah, if there's one problem with Microsoft, it's its first party lineup. There's a distinct lack of variety in its first party titles, all they really have is Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Fable, and Kinect titles. That gives them two shooters, one RPG, one racing game, and a ton of casual games. Meanwhile, they're missing some key genres. Where's the platformers? Fighting games? They're going to have a harder time winning people over if they don't have a solid lineup of exclusive titles, right now they're only really appealing to the HD crowd, FPS fans, and casuals and not much else. I have a feeling that's going to come back to bite them if that doesn't change.

Yeah, I think the 360's strongest trait is XBLA/XBLIG, but due to the easy portability of stuff there to PC, most of it isn't exclusive.

Haunted Water said:
You also forgot to mention the fact that PlayStation attracts open-world games.
For specs on the PS4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&client=mv-google&gl=US&v=Bsnhmf9YDpQ

The controller thing is cool, but as they said it might not be true, try said when the wii u was being announced that the touch pad would e a textured touch pad that you could feel textures (petting a dog and the touch screen would feel soft like a dogs fur, touch a rock and it would feel rough like a rock) but obviously that didn't happen.

This whole "once it's been used on one system can't be used on another" thing is plain silly. I have 2 xbox 360's currently. I wouldn't buy two of the same game to use for each console. Or say, your new ps4 eats it. Do you have to purchase another game just to play it on your new ps4 you got for the warranty of the broken one?

The used game market doesn't really affect me too much. I'm sure within a few months of release, someone will have hacked the software and it won't be an issue anymore.

Chariblaze said:
Bolt the Cat said:

Yeah, I think the 360's strongest trait is XBLA/XBLIG, but due to the easy portability of stuff there to PC, most of it isn't exclusive.

Alan Wake 2 already has me leaning in Microsoft's direction.

sloR3X said:
Or say, your new ps4 eats it. Do you have to purchase another game just to play it on your new ps4 you got for the warranty of the broken one?

That's...an extremely good point. Maybe every account has a serial number or something to identify specific games to that console.

Delta said:
Chariblaze said:

Alan Wake 2 already has me leaning in Microsoft's direction.

sloR3X said:
Or say, your new ps4 eats it. Do you have to purchase another game just to play it on your new ps4 you got for the warranty of the broken one?

That's...an extremely good point. Maybe every account has a serial number or something to identify specific games to that console.

Well each mark it leaves is specific to that system so they should have a way of knowing....hopefully

Back