Finished Dungeons and Dragonites! [RPG]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the best game I've played in 'years'. Okay, that isn't true. But it was really fun! :p

ZrjNZir.png
So uh.. are we getting cupcakes now?

Awesome job TGK, it was a really fun and interesting experience! Hope that you will host another one in the future :D

It was a great experience! Eventhough I wasn't that long in the game, I really liked it! :D
I definitely would like to be part of D&D2! (If that is going to happen)

Well. That was certainly an adventure.

While I admit the game did suffer from faults (as does any first-time forum game), it was also a brilliant execution of a never-before-seen game on PB. To reiterate what I said a few pages or so ago, the game does adhere to strict rules. It's just that we don't know all of them.

There are a few things I might have changed, perhaps. Items would have been cool to add. Also maybe a slight change in the way the Level system works, so that we gain a Level after every enemy KO, and not just after every battle (this would have been really helpful during the Anorith horde encounters and such). TMs could be interesting. In the end, though, these things would probably just clutter the game. You did an admirable job of condensing a veritable universe of mechanics into a relatively simple RPG, and I would be hesitant to make it too complicated.

I know one of the big things both players and GM were concerned about was the length of the game. IIRC, this run had five boss fights (Armaldo, Tyrantrum, Aurorus, Bastiodon, and Lil/Seir/GunEgg), all of which lasted a considerable time. TGK as the host I'm more worried about here––the players can sub out at any time––but TGK had to update every couple of days, which AFAIK took an hour or two each time. In the end, it's TGK's decision how far to carry the game. We as players are only along for the ride.

The class system was interesting, albeit slightly imbalanced. Clerics were by far the most powerful, with Swordsmen and Dancers making a not-terribly-close second. Some classes (Thieves, for instance) felt almost irrelevant.

As (AFAIK) the first RPG in PB's history, D&D has brought us a multitude of good jokes and snarky remarks (most of them Light's). I think I speak for us all when I say that we're unlikely to ever forget this experience.

My D&D miniset is still in the works; I haven't forgotten about it. The rest will be finished and published someday. :p

Final quote compilation and death count coming soon.

What can I say. Thanks so much, all of you, and especially TGK, for a very good game. :)

Well. That was certainly an adventure.

While I admit the game did suffer from faults (as does any first-time forum game), it was also a brilliant execution of a never-before-seen game on PokéBeach. To reiterate what I said a few pages or so ago, the game does adhere to strict rules. It's just that we don't know all of them.

There are a few things I might have changed, perhaps. Items would have been cool to add. Also maybe a slight change in the way the Level system works, so that we gain a Level after every enemy KO, and not just after every battle (this would have been really helpful during the Anorith horde encounters and such). TMs could be interesting. In the end, though, these things would probably just clutter the game. You did an admirable job of condensing a veritable universe of mechanics into a relatively simple RPG, and I would be hesitant to make it too complicated.

I know one of the big things both players and GM were concerned about was the length of the game. IIRC, this run had five boss fights (Armaldo, Tyrantrum, Aurorus, Bastiodon, and Lil/Seir/GunEgg), all of which lasted a considerable time. TGK as the host I'm more worried about here––the players can sub out at any time––but TGK had to update every couple of days, which AFAIK took an hour or two each time. In the end, it's TGK's decision how far to carry the game. We as players are only along for the ride.

The class system was interesting, albeit slightly imbalanced. Clerics were by far the most powerful, with Swordsmen and Dancers making a not-terribly-close second. Some classes (Thieves, for instance) felt almost irrelevant.

As (AFAIK) the first RPG in PokéBeach's history, D&D has brought us a multitude of good jokes and snarky remarks (most of them Light's). I think I speak for us all when I say that we're unlikely to ever forget this experience.

My D&D miniset is still in the works; I haven't forgotten about it. The rest will be finished and published someday. :p

Final quote compilation and death count coming soon.

What can I say. Thanks so much, all of you, and especially TGK, for a very good game. :)

Huh I totally forgot that I was a mage due to the fact that I never saw any runes :p

If anyone plans to follow up on improving the game and running another in the future (and I don't see why you wouldn't, there's enormous potential here), here are a few suggestions, from all I learned playing this particular game, and my years designing and (role)playing mafia:
  • Actions-by-PM-by-turn makes playing really hard, iffy and even tiresome; coordination (something important in an RPG) doesn't exist at all, nor does accountability; a solution would be to make the actions publicly posted in order for people to agree/disagree and to make them as real-time as possible. This gives each player (and the GM) the chance to react transparently on a per-action basis, making a much more dynamic and shifting game. The logistics problems can be sorted out, the GM could just take a look once per day (or whenever he's around) and post the results as immediately as possible, the idea is that there are no "rounds", so there's no uncoordinated actions or people attacking dead enemies or allies like they have hay for brains because all actions happen sort-of-simultaneously. This also deals with the game seeming long, since there's less waiting and more discussion of the next move.
  • The level-up after each enemy KOd jabber mentioned is a great suggestion; also, include lesser, non-boss enemies; one of the key things of any game is to keep a sense of progression while making it progressively harder over time, and a game comprised entirely of long, hard boss fights, especially if you only gain a level each time, will be unnecessarily tiring and drawn-out. Players in any game are moved by a reward system, analysing videogame design is a great way to learn how to do this.
  • In addition to boss fights, include obstacles that are easily beaten, but not necessarily by every member of the group; "puzzles" might be good every now and then, but they have the potential to get somewhat frustrating and to delay progress. However, for every obstacle you use, you really need to know the possible ways it could be passed by everyone; if you have a door on a high ledge that only flying pokemon can reach, for example, you can't use that obstacle unless you (the GM) know a few ways for all the players to get there. Just think, if we hadn't had hints some players got from chatting with TGK, would we have ever solved some of the difficulties we ran into?
  • As jabber said, the class system seemed unbalanced, and I feel it could be either phased out completely, or replaced by special abilities (not attacks) given by the species; one of the great things about pokemon is the enormous variety of quasi-magical abilities they have, so it feels a shame to leave them aside.
  • The roleplaying could have a greater importance, too; one of the most interesting parts (for me) was to figure things out when we were not fighting, just talking to NPCs (also, more non-enemy NPCs), getting them to do things, or for them to ask you to do things; I might not know anything about playing tabletop RPGs, but I was always under the impression that you spend as much time dealing with non-aggressive people as you do hurting monsters or solving puzzles or walking, the key is that the game is flexible enough that the GM runs with everything you throw at them instead of locking you on a predetermined path.
  • I feel the special-physical divide for attacks could be greatly improved upon; some people, like myself and plasma dragon, just don't have as many choices (in my case, physical attacks, in his', special), in addition that there are so many non-offensive moves that could be great to put to a use in the game's system (like charm, or teleportation, for me. Wish too). With so many possibilities, it could be possible to have four move slots, too.
We as players are only along for the ride.

With this, however, I'll have to disagree; the players are equally as important as the GM; it's a symbiotic relationship.

In my experience, this requires trust on each other; the players must trust the GM to be reliable and to not abuse their power or make changes on the fly for whatever reason that isn't their enjoyment (the players'), and the GM must trust that the players won't just break his rules, make his life impossible and cheat (granted, it's harder to do that in an RPG, but that makes the responsibility the GM has even more important, since he has all the power in the relationship); you can't have any game if both sides distrust each other, and you can't have any game with rebellious or absent players, or with an overly permissive or overly abusive GM; a balance is needed, and all must work together in favor of the game.

And last, availability is very important; a GM that up and vanishes will disappoint their players, and so will a player that does the same; I admit this is the only reason I didn't leave after what was a rather insulting moment when I lost the gun I spent so much time to get; fortunately I wasn't needed by that point, or TGK decided to shorten the battle, I don't know, but the point remains, you need trust and respect from everyone to play these things. Without them, the game just falls apart, and I doubt any one of us wanted it to fall apart, judging by how long we'd been doing this.

Now, if you all excuse me, I have a frozen mafia game to run; if you want to see how the professionals roleplay, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
As jabber said, the class system seemed unbalanced, and I feel it could be either phased out completely, or replaced by special abilities (not attacks) given by the species; one of the great things about pokemon is the enormous variety of quasi-magical abilities they have, so it feels a shame to leave them aside.
Yeah, I had to cut a lot of stuff from this game, including a maze, which had lots of puzzle challenges and was really where theives and mages would get the spotlight.

Presenting ...

Dungeons & Dragonites, Season 1: A Transcript.

253.png
Listen one, listen all!
253.png
253.png
Always wanted to say that. Anyway, welcome to Dungeons and Dragonites, the game in which I teleport you to an alternate dimension, transpose your minds into the bodies of Pokémon, and force you to fight bosses for my own amusement!
253.png
Who’s in? :D

THE CAST files in. Each person gives their name, and TGK assigns them stats. Many people aren’t happy with their assignment.

679.png
2 HP? o.o
253.png
The D20 has spoken. *nod*
679.png
*grumble stomp*
280.png
/patpat

TGK transports THE CAST to BEACH CAVE.

253.png
Have fun roleplaying for the next day or so. I’ll be right back with a few enemies for you to fight! ^.^
406.png
Coolio. Let’s roll call! :D
172.png
Here! Let’s smash stuff! \o/
280.png
Yes, yes. I’m here, but perhaps you could roll call a little more to the left, dear? Why thank you; the sun really is much too strong, and I for one need my beauty sleep.

BBNINJAS uses SUNNY DAY.

406.png
I sincerely hope the sun isn’t burning you now. :3
280.png
Pawniard, darling, I think Budew is asking for a hug. Would you be a dear?
406.png
D:
624.png
Hold still, Budew. Wouldn’t want to turn you into a salad.
172.png
Break it up, guys! We gotta go smash other stuff! And look for treasure! :D
447.png
The rat is right. *nod*
172.png
Rat? Who, me? D:
447.png
Mhm.
624.png
You’re both rats. Let’s move on.
447.png
Hey, I’m not a rat! I’m a guardian of Jirachi and stuff! >:L
333.png
Sol, maybe you need a ride on my wings. They’re super soft and comfy! ^.^
406.png
Ack! A bird! D:

BBNINJAS flees. KEEPER steps between BBNINJAS and CELEVER.

624.png
I’ll cover ya, Lettucehead. Never been a fan of pillows.
447.png
HOW DARE YOU TALK TO A FUTURE DRAGON LIKE THAT––
624.png
Don’t be silly. Rats can’t be dragons.
447.png
Swablu, don’t waste your time on vermin like this.
624.png
Vermin? Like rats?
447.png
>:L
280.png
I’ve got twenty on the Pawniard. Anyone in?
406.png
I’m too young to bet. :(

ATHENA enters.

422-e.png
Wow. Guess I overslept. >.<
624.png
Guys. GUYS. This THING. It’s so SQUISHY!
624.png
I’m keeping it. :U
447.png
What even is that thing? :O

ATHENA flops around in the water for a bit. KEEPER runs after her, calling in vain for her to come back.

EMPOLEON_MASTER enters. One eye seems to be bulging slightly.

258.png
I’m a battle-scarred warrior and you should all listen to me. o_O

DOUBLE O SQUIRTLE enters.

198.png
So what’d I miss?
258.png
I’m a battle-scarred warrior and stuff. :D
198.png
o.o
198.png
I heard somethin’ about a squishy? Where’s da Squishy?

ATHENA hides in the sand. TGK reappears.

253.png
Y’all ready to go inside the cave now?
258.png
Not ye––
280.png
Yes.

TGK transports THE CAST inside the cave.

Being the second installment of ...

Dungeons & Dragonites, Season 1: A Transcript.

A loud rumbling fills the cave. THE CAST turns to look.

253.png
Oops, looks like the door caved in. Too bad! :D
172.png
We’re trapped! D:
172.png
Ooh, a boulder. Let’s smash it! \o/
280.png
Does anyone see any gemstones around? I simply won’t tolerate this humidity for anything less.
172.png
Yeah, there’s something sparkly on the ceiling! I bet it’s fool’s gold! :D
280.png
Hmm … maybe I can sell it to some sucker once we’re done here.
280.png

280.png
100P for this gold nugget! Only 100P! Special offer for all you fine warriors. ^.^
198.png
Gold?! :O
624.png
I wouldn’t trust the Ralts.
198.png
Nah, misleading is totally my thing. No one could ever trick me! :L
624.png
Okay, birdie.
280.png
Shush, you. If this thing ever gets off the ground I’ve got a position for you.
624.png
I already have my own position. And it’s downstairs.

KEEPER picks up BBNINJAS.

624.png
Come on, Lettucehead, we’re going downstairs. Things to do, places to be, people to avoid.
406.png
Eep! Save me! D:
172.png
Wait for me! \o/
624.png
We haven’t got all day. Come on, hurry up. >.>
406.png
Fiiiiine…
422-e.png
Why do you guys want to go down so soon? There are fun puddles up here! :3

ATHENA flops around in a puddle. VOM enters.

318.png
Hey guys, ‘sup?
447.png
A talking fish? I wonder if it’s tasty …

KEEPER sets down BBNINJAS. BBNINJAS starts dancing around, doing nothing productive.

624.png
Wait a minute, there, Ratface. Like I’m going to let you eat a fellow Dark-type.
198.png
Yeah, no eating Dark-types! I don’t want to be Torchic wings! D:
318.png
Thanks, bud. Maybe help me destroy this rock? :3
624.png
You guys can waste your time on the boulder all you want.

KEEPER picks up BBNINJAS.

318.png
Hey, Ralts, how about you use your psychic powers or your other … particular skills?

LIGHT tries to use PSYCHIC on the boulder. Nothing happens.

280.png
Fine. My other … particular skills.

LIGHT walks up to the boulder and flutters her eyelashes.

280.png
Why hello there! My … associates and I would like to see what’s behind you. Would you be so kind as to move? :3
318.png
o.o
280.png
Oh, right. It can’t see my eyes. Also, it’s a damn rock.
280.png
*sigh* Can’t you just cleave it in half or something?

DOS starts to peck at the boulder.

280.png
Hey, I’m looking for treasure here. It’s called a psychic scan. >:L
406.png
Oh, is that what your granny glasses do? :O
280.png
No, those are because I have class. Something rather lacking in this group, I’m afraid.
447.png
Oi, would you all shut up while I explore these crevasses?
624.png
Pipe down, Ratface. Go back to your wandering.
172.png
Still bickering your puny heads off? -.-
172.png
Not to say that my head isn’t puny, of course.
624.png
It’s actually rather large compared to the rest of you. *poke*

ATHENA surfaces from a puddle.

422-e.png
Hey guys! I’m going to investigate this boulder! :D
447.png
Hmm … it seems I was wrong to ignore you, slug. At least you have the sense to do something useful.
406.png
Aww. I was going to be useful, but a stupid rock was in the way. :(
447.png
Don’t worry. When the Future Dragon gets hungry, you’ll be useful then.
406.png
Gee, Treecutter was right. You are a rat. >.>
624.png
‘Ey! Stay away from Lettucehead.
422-e.png
Eep! Well, good to know I was useful. :U
258.png
Riolu, behave, or I will Mud-Slap you into next year. >:L
447.png
Ha. I’d like to see you try.

E_M stares deeply into VRACKEN’s eyes.

258.png
You are now my eternal slave and will do exactly what I tell you without question.
447.png
o.o
624.png
Psst, Lettucehead. I think the mudfish has lost it.

KEEPER goes back to destroying the boulder.

624.png
Ohhey, wasn’t there a sword somewhere?
280.png
Hey, you’re right. And doesn’t he have a Fighting-type move? Maybe he got stuck in a rock.

JABBERWOCK is nowhere to be seen.

406.png
Hey, I wonder where this dungeon leads to? Maybe it goes under the beach!
406.png
Also, I have no hands. :O
333.png
Thanks for that, uh, totally random fact about you. n.n;
422-e.png
You don’t need hands to succeed. ^.^

ATHENA continues to flop around.

258.png
Who else thinks it would be fun to flood the staircase before we go down? :D
422-e.png
I personally wouldn’t mind, but I think some of our non-Water-types might have a problem with it. ^.^
258.png
But then you and all the other Water-types could go look for loot downstairs, and then you can use Storm Drain to suck up all the water!
422-e.png
Then what’s the point of flooding it in the first place? o.o;
280.png
Wait … you want to flood an entire Pokémon filled cave?
280.png
Uhh … guys, could you be dolls and hurry up with that damn boulder?!
422-e.png
I think I’d just like to explore normally. n_n;

ATHENA hides behind a rock.

258.png
New plan! How about we send Honedge to ghost through the floor to explore? :D
198.png
Erm, one problem. I haven’t seen Honedge anywhere!
406.png
Hey, Treecutter, can you chip away at these crevasses so I can squeeze through? :3
280.png
Budew, right on time! Since you’re green and small, I need you to speak in an odd manner and hold onto my back while I run around, pile rocks, have visions of the future, and lift spaceships out of swamps. Can you do that?
406.png
Ah … sure?

JABBERWOCK enters.

679.png
So what’d I miss? *yawn*

JABBER tries to cut through the rock. Nothing happens.

624.png
Maybe we can lift the rock? Nah, we’d probably have some squishage of you softer-bodied fellas.
172.png
Psh, at least softer-bodied fellas can squeeze through smaller gaps without cutting things.
624.png
Not with a head that big.
172.png
>:L
679.png
Perhaps it would be in our best interests for me to float through the wall.
679.png
If I get stuck, Keeper, you’re charged with pulling me out. Then you may all call be “Jabbercalibur” henceforth. ^.^

JABBER floats through the wall, triggering a CHESTNUT TRAP.

*3 damage*

JABBER faints!

253.png
Oh look, one of you fainted. How sad. :D

YEOWIE uses THUNDERSHOCK on a nearby pool! Suddenly, an ARMALDO appears!

348.png
Hey! What’s the big idea, blowing up our home with lightning?
347.png
Yeah!
347.png
That’s right!
347.png
You’re mean!
258.png
Okay, everyone listen to me––!
198.png
Chaaaaaaarge! :D

Events have been chronicled up through Page 20, as of this installment. Copious quantities of EM insisting that Vracken needs a belly-rub, and Vracken subsequently fleeing, have been omitted from this installment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back