Dragons Are Out, But Are They Really That Good?

Daddy

Follow Me On Twitter @robby_weidemann
Hello, Toyz here! In the new set DRX, the new dragon type has been exposed to the world of the TCG. With BRs coming up, there will be an enourmous amount of Garchomp/Altaria and Darkrai/Hydreigon decks. In my opinion, they are some of the most over-hyped decks I've seen in a long time, maybe even since the release of Gengar Prime and Lost World. I honestly do not think they are good. Yes they have quick attacks and things, but they are easy to counter, take some time to setup, and are weak to themselves. In tournaments, they will just knock each other out of the competition and let the other decks take the titles. What are your guy's thoughts? Agree? Disagree? Let me know.

There are only a few good Dragon Types: The ones you mentioned. Garchomp/Altaria is Overhyped, but not for a bad cause as it is definitally a Tier 1.5 to 1 deck, proving it has ability. Darkrai Hydreigon is also a very good deck and can destroy a lot of decks in the format, yet it also has problems. Them being weak to themselves makes them THAT much better. The meta is comprised of multiple decks, only 2 or 3 of which using Dragon types. Thats out of at least 9 or 10 decks. The chances getting paired against Dragons types are pretty high, but so are the chances of running into anything else, in which the uncommon weakness would help you.

Garchomp/Altaria is decent in my opinion. It relies heavily on Gabite and somewhat Emolga. If the person playing against the Garchomp/Altaria is smart and they know what they are doing, chances are, the deck will lose and possibly lose by getting wrecked. It all matters on the player.

True. What makes Garchomp/Alt even more popular is how easy it is to pilot the deck. But a smart Garch/Alt player can also play the deck well so yeah. Emolga isn't a necessary card, but it helps.

Yes. Every thing about this format or even game comes down to how good and smart the players are.

IMO, I think the Dragon type is great right now. Hydreigon can be an attacker but is more of a bench sitter/engine than anything else that really just complements things like Darkrai and other attackers and can be a complement with Dark Patch. Garchomp+Altaria were clearly made for each other, and while it may not be anywhere close to a "best deck", it is very consistent and if your deck loses to it, you're probably going to have a bad time because it is a cheap deck that people can make. Shiny Rayquaza also adds a different dynamic to decks that can take advantage of it. If they're not a huge part of the metagame right now, they will still continue to be a part and should be things to watch out for definitely.

dmaster out.

IMO the only dragon out right now that isn't that good is Ray EX. Yes he can do a lot of damage, but you have to run him like Raikou EX for him to be useful. And even then, he can't abuse Max Potion like Raikou EX. He's just not as good as he should be.

Even Rayquaza EX has a niche use in Eels (albeit you have to center the whole deck around it and obviously change the Energy lineup). Regardless, it can definitely be used there. Giratina EX has also been mentioned as a tech in Hydreigon that I've seen floating around. Personally, I think there are better options, but I don't even consider those being the worst. You want to talk bad? Try Bad Hydreigon and Bad Garchomp. Yeah, suddenly those EXs look like a God.

dmaster out.

Blaztoyz said:
^Giratina ex?

Giratina EX has use in Darkrai EX/Hydregion, as dmaster said, but he's really not all that bad. He's a great tech in the deck mentioned previously, and I've also seen some Gardevoir/Gothitelle decks with Giratina in him. As for setup, yes he's costly, but you get what you paid for so to speak in his attacks. 130 is a very important number these days, and with Eviolite and Sigilyph around, and attack that does 90 damage and isn't affected by effects is incredibly useful. As for comparing Ray EX with Giry EX is like Donphan Prime vs. Terrakion, one is great as a tech, and the other as a deck. But that's my opinion.

I feel it's more so a factor in this game (not to mention this format), but I digress. I like having another type, if only just for it being there; it gives more options. I do think the {DRG}'s will be played if only because they're the newest thing. Plus they're pretty cheap decks to build. I personally like them because they're decent Stage 2 decks that actually have a shot at doing well. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of these 180 HP Basics.

I'm OK for the time being with EX's, Since I don't want to fuss at something that's going to be there for a while. (Wouldn't hurt for a stage 2 to dominate.)

I see good cards, just none of which I want to use. The main thing that has my eye (That I want to use) is Emolga, Blend energy, Sigilyph/EX block cards, and tool scrapper.

To be honest I can't stand the new dragons, except one. Garchomp is to frail, and with Altaria as a back up Raikou just destroys it. I do like Giratina EX which seems to be pretty good, since it can attack anything (it's not blocked by Sigilyph and Bouffalant) which makes it a great tech for heavy EX decks. I don't like Rayquza since it seems over powered just a bit to me, I mean come one, get 4 energies on that, and then use an eel/Emboar, and you have a pretty great chance at winning. This makes it horrible for any new player, we already have a power house (Mewtwo EX) we don't need another.

I personally think the ultimate best one is hydreigon.

Yes. Hydreigon and Giratina are the best IMO. Regular Quaza can donk but it's boring. Ray EX isn't that great since it's one shotted by any dragon capable of doing 90 damage, and once it's support is taken out it's pretty much dead in the water. All Garchomp has going for it is consistency and low attack costs, since it has to have Altarias in play to do any real damage. Hydreigon is good thanks to its ability to move Energy and then heal with Max Potion, and it's also compatible with Darkrai EX. Giratina takes out an Dragon in one it and two shots the rest of the format minus Wailord of course, and OHKOs all non EX basics, and a good chunk of Stage2s.

Back