Help Dragonite EX (74/111 XY Furious Fists) Standard Legal or Not?

EricPimpi

Aspiring Trainer
Ok I'm curious about something. Dragonite EX has the Furious Fists number 74/111. And this set is not standard legal. But if you go to the pokemon.com TCG Data Base, it says that THIS Dragonite EX is standard legal. The description of the box says "Promo Dragonite EX" but I can't find concrete information that this Dragonite is actually Standard legal besides The Official Pokemon Website... so who's right or wrong here? Is it legal or not?

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-t...tMin=0&totalAttackCostMax=5&particularArtist=

The Pokémon TCG: Dragonite-EX Box includes:

• A foil promo card featuring Dragonite-EX

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/product-gallery/dragonite-ex-box/

Hi Eric,

yes due to the Promo coming out the one found in Furious Fists is also legal. Because it has the same name and abilities.

Hi Eric,

yes due to the Promo coming out the one found in Furious Fists is also legal. Because it has the same name and abilities.

The thing is, I would like more proof of this besides the Official Pokemon Database Website.

The thing is, I would like more proof of this besides the Official Pokemon Database Website.

Took me a moment to realize exactly what it is you are getting at; without a scan of the promo showing it shares the same Card ID as the original release, it isn't as obvious to others as you might think. I finally realized you were running the search correctly and that instead of showing the Dragonite-EX from XY: Evolutions, it was only showing the Dragonite-EX from XY: Furious Fists. You are correct; someone entered something wrong into the official TCG Card Database; go ahead and contact the official site and let them know. After all, the search is not bringing up Dragonite-EX from XY: Evolutions, so we know something is wrong.

Because I didn't understand what you were getting at, I'll just include some useful tools for normal situations of determing card legality, behind Spoiler Tags so no one glances at it and misses the important part of my post. XD
1.4. Reprinted Cards
From time to time, cards printed in previous expansions are reprinted in a new expansion. Unless the card text is functionally identical to the new version of the card, it will not be legal. Cards which have received errata (Potion, Rare Candy, etc.) are also legal.

Please see the Tournament Rules and Resources page for a list of cards that have been reprinted and are legal for play in the Standard Format.​

That is from the Play! Pokémon TCG Tournament Rules and Formats document, available for download here on the official site.

Took me a moment to realize exactly what it is you are getting at; without a scan of the promo showing it shares the same Card ID as the original release, it isn't as obvious to others as you might think. I finally realized you were running the search correctly and that instead of showing the Dragonite-EX from XY: Evolutions, it was only showing the Dragonite-EX from XY: Furious Fists. You are correct; someone entered something wrong into the official TCG Card Database; go ahead and contact the official site and let them know. After all, the search is not bringing up Dragonite-EX from XY: Evolutions, so we know something is wrong.

Because I didn't understand what you were getting at, I'll just include some useful tools for normal situations of determing card legality, behind Spoiler Tags so no one glances at it and misses the important part of my post. XD
1.4. Reprinted Cards
From time to time, cards printed in previous expansions are reprinted in a new expansion. Unless the card text is functionally identical to the new version of the card, it will not be legal. Cards which have received errata (Potion, Rare Candy, etc.) are also legal.

Please see the Tournament Rules and Resources page for a list of cards that have been reprinted and are legal for play in the Standard Format.​

That is from the Play! Pokémon TCG Tournament Rules and Formats document, available for download here on the official site.

I did more test and research and it seems the Pokemon.com TCG Database says the whole XY Furious Fists expansion is Standard Legal. So maybe it's a mistake on the Database. I sent the same issue to the Support Team of Pokemon.com to see what's up. But besides the whole FF set being Standard Legal or not, I'm more interested in the Dragonite-EX itself since it came out as a "promo on the Evolution Box" a few months ago. Maybe it was a mistake in their part not making the Dragonite a Black Star promo or something.

Also the other Dragonite shows up, but you need to search as Colorless instead of Dragon since Pull Up Dragonite EX is not dragon type.

The Dragonite-EX box's Dragonite-EX is NOT a promo. It is a reprint of the Furious Fists one, retaining its set symbol. In short, no, it's not legal in Standard. (Incidentally, of those five boxes, only Mewtwo-EX is a promo. It has different art to its Breakthrough counterpart, hence why it's a promo and the other four, which are identical to their original prints, are still of their original sets.) Weird that the database made that mistake.

And yes, I know this for a fact. I've seen this box in person. Also, the promo Mewtwo-EX is on its own number-wise, with unrelated promos directly before and after it. ;p

Looking a little more, it would appear the sets the database considers "standard-legal" are still set to XY-on... That's kinda disgusting.

Last edited:
I did more test and research and it seems the Pokemon.com TCG Database says the whole XY Furious Fists expansion is Standard Legal. So maybe it's a mistake on the Database. I sent the same issue to the Support Team of Pokemon.com to see what's up. But besides the whole FF set being Standard Legal or not, I'm more interested in the Dragonite-EX itself since it came out as a "promo on the Evolution Box" a few months ago. Maybe it was a mistake in their part not making the Dragonite a Black Star promo or something.

Also the other Dragonite shows up, but you need to search as Colorless instead of Dragon since Pull Up Dragonite EX is not dragon type.

I did multiple searches and got some odd results. I did not notice you had narrowed it down to only the Dragon Type, so maybe I forgot to clear that the first time (afterward I cleared the previous search and started fresh). Probably why I couldn't get the Colorless Dragonite-EX to show up, though. XD

I have found the official pokemon website to be a bad gauge for card legality.

Whenever I want to specifically know whether a card is legal for a set and I am truly stumped, I consult these sites:

Standard
Expanded

I also use the pokegym site to create my deck lists. Edit: Here is the site for the deck list generators.

Back