DP remakes and pre-quel announced!

The Ultimate Umbreon

To Ultra space and beyond!
So my theories about the cut-off for the SWSH era being the DPP remakes were actually true - there was very little else they could have done, TBH.

I wonder if we will keep getting gigantamax pokemon - to this point we are still missing Gengar, Machamp, Hatterene, Kingler, Duraludon, Melmetal and Sandaconda (also Appletun VMax maybe?).

Maybe they are delaying printing Vmaxes of these pokemon so they can sell sets based on them, but I can't feel but feel concerned that the new focus will be on Sinnoh instead, so we will get YET another Dialga and Palkia themed sets, and may he forgive us, another Arceus card... Please don't remake ADP.
Most likely they'll just throw more Sinnoh Pokemon into the later sets, and the remaining VMAXS with his be in there somewhere, either as set stars, or just present.

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
Hope they bring back a card aesthetic similar to the HGSS era of cards with the inevitable Pokémon Legends inspired sets.

It was a nice touch of modern and paper/scroll inspired influences. The cards felt special, in retrospect.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Sinnoh is (and probably always will be) my fave region in Pokemon, but I just find the remakes looking.... meh. Maybe it's because I really dislike the art style they've gone with for the games, but I'm a lot less excited for them than I was when they were speculated. Imo it somehow looks worse than LGPE (which were already my least favourite games graphics wise).
HOWEVER I do think it's worth noting that another company is working with GF on the games. I don't know if they've done that before (for the main series at least) so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think other studios/developers working with GF could have a positive outcome for future main games.

On the flip side, I'm really liking what we've seen of the prequel. The whole 'game set in the past' is something that I've wanted to see for a while, and I'm really excited to see how it turns out. It does look a bit unpolished, but considering it's potentially not even being released for another year I think it's still too soon to make any real judgements on it.
Also, will Legends become its own series? Could future remakes have a similar set-up with a set of traditional remakes that are faithful to the originals, but another game that takes the region in a completely different direction?

Last edited:

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Hope they bring back a card aesthetic similar to the HGSS era of cards with the inevitable Pokémon Legends inspired sets.

It was a nice touch of modern and paper/scroll inspired influences. The cards felt special, in retrospect.

I hope they do something, I mean literally anything. It doesn't even has to be that good like the HGSS sets, a return to anything like the B&W and XY era frames, the D&P one, anything would already be better than what we have now. It always baffled me how could they go from a perfectly pretty card frame we had in XY to the abomination that was the S&M era one. The S&S frame is a tiny improvement over the S&M ones, but it still pales in comparison to older frames we had, it's just so bland, so over-minimalist, bleargh. I hope they do some new prettier card frame.

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
Honestly I was hoping for an ORAS style remake but I will definitely take a top down style game any day. Now we just need Mega evolutions and I'll be so happy. They also brought back the old grass mechanic, are HMs coming back as well? So excited for this though.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~

Honestly, that's exactly what I'm hoping for, if they do make sets for this game.

The Fish

0.o

YES. I couldn't agree more. The HGSS cards that aged like fine wine. They always looked slightly tainted, slightly worn, which was so perfect for the art style at the time. Though the modernised holo patterns are great, the HGSS ones didn't have those visible lines. They were perfect. The SWSH reverse holo patterns blend with the text sometimes and it looks silly, so if they brought back the HGSS/Evolutions type of reverse holo foil (or, hell, even the Sun and Moon ones) that would be amazing.

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
Well it seems none of my predictions stuck. Ah well.

D/P remakes.... So it is likely the reason S/S ended up going in the direction it did was because they were working on these at the same time. If they do that and it turns out that these go the same way then they'll have divided their resources just to make two half-baked games and I will laugh. Legends: Arceus looks interesting though, looking forward to seeing more about it.

In the end it was competitive balance in VGC (or complete lack thereof) that kept me from S/S and the latter half of Gen 7. If the games are truly faithful to the originals (and the remakes are used for the next VGC season) then perhaps this will be the first game since BW2 to lack a gimmick mechanic, which I would welcome over the nonsense Dynamax has brought with it. I miss having Megas as part of the meta but not having them, Z-Moves or Dyna in the format would be refreshing.

As for the Pokedex, I wouldn't mind if they decide to leave out some of the roster as I would love if they specifically left out the past two generations of Pokemon. As it stands in VGC there isn't much reason to deviate from a team of something like Incineroar, Rillaboom, 1-3 DLC Legends (Urshifu, My Little Ponies, Galar Birds) and/or Ultra Beasts, another Terrain setter and/or your choice of support. It's honestly painful to see how ridiculous the power creep has been lately and the only other way this could be fixed would be if GF decided to restrict usages to the above Mons and some other offenders to 1-2 per team. It's not really the cookie cutter teams that bother me, it's that all the matches I've watched feel so bland and predictable on top of the braindead balance choices.

bunnybird12

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly, I'm just happy that DP remakes have finally been announced and that they kept the underground feature. I have so many good memories of messing around with friends in secret bases.

Ice Arceus

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Father... Is that you?!

I am BEYOND hyped Arceus is back in the spotlight. Really excited for the remakes and Legends: Arceus. Lots to look forward to!

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
The return of Dexit and HM slaves!

Also, will these new games be backwards compatible with GBA like the original Diamond/Pearl? How am I supposed to get Electivire and Magmortar and such?

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
The return of Dexit and HM slaves!

Also, will these new games be backwards compatible with GBA like the original Diamond/Pearl? How am I supposed to get Electivire and Magmortar and such?

By paying for Pokemon Home, of course.

But for real it depends on whether they take Platinum into account, which had wild Magmar and Electabuzz.

Raven Zombie

Dark/Ghost Trainer
IMO. I am highly disappointed with the remakes. until they actually add something new. i have hope for legends.
FRLG was gen 3 Kanto
HGSS was gen 4 Johto
ORAS was gen 6 Hoenn
BDSP is gen 4 Sinnoh, again.
so in my mind, the 'remakes' are the new virtual console, and the Legends are the new remakes.

Kaizaac

Aspiring Trainer
By paying for Pokemon Home, of course.

But for real it depends on whether they take Platinum into account, which had wild Magmar and Electabuzz.
I think they will cause in the trailer it showed Ambipom and Porygon-Z and I don’t think they were in the Diamond/Pearl base game.

Deltaphox

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon fans are the whiniest little sobbles I’ve ever had the pleasure of being in a community with. The new games look amazing! It’s honestly everything everyone has wanted. Gen 4 remakes? Check. Open world gen 4 remake that takes place in the Pokémon past? Check. Nintendo is obviously listening to fans and trying to pump out what we want. Some people don’t like the way Diamond and Pearl remakes animation looks. Chibi? Like Chibiusa from sailor moon? Anyways people argue they wish Pokemon games weren’t super realistic looking and we could go back to them looking like handheld games. Not everyone wants to play Skyrim with Pokémon. Some people enjoy the not so realistic looking people, because hey the world of Pokémon is not realistic. I am very excited for the new games and will be purchasing all three for my husband and I to play. Does anyone in the community still hear about a New Pokémon game and just get excited that a new Pokémon game is coming, instead of picking it apart?

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
Do you think one feature, the Poketch, will be in the remakes?

Or will the lack of a second screen on Switch, where the poketch was located on in the original DS version, mean it's history?

Without the poketch, I wonder if the number of steps taken can still be displayed, and if so, where on the screen it will be with no second screen this go-around?

And will they close the Veilstone Game Corner this go-around? Or will they Voltorb Flip it one more time?