Pokemon DP Names.

Frozen Eternity

Aspiring Trainer
Nintendo,sorry. But I just wanted to say that....aren't the DP english names a little to weird?We have names like Shinx, what does it mean?We got Dialga and Palkia,surely they can improve on that.We got also Bidoof,huh???So here,we will discuss about the new english names and how weird they are.

I hate the Starters names:

Turtwig-sounds stupid
Chimchar-sounds like a pre-evolution of Chimecho
Piplup-sounds like a tube or something
Happini-sounds too happy
Electivire-sounds like Mojanbo electric form

I'd rather like the Japanese name more...

Only one I really like so far is Shinx. And I can live with Glameow (tho Glanya would be better IMHO) and Mime Jr.
The rest though fails.

If Empelt stays the same I won't care about the others... BTW Shinx = Shock Sphinx

I agree with all of you, the English sound very very very weird. I prefer their Japanese name because it sounds better than the English names. For example, from Pochama become Piplup??
That is so weird.....

^ Agreed. We don't like them now, but give it some time and they'll sound ok. Although, I'm really not sure about Piplup...

I guarantee everyone in this thread that's ragging on the english names will be singing a different tune in a year. We've all grown attached to the Japanese names. But really, I'd rather have a name I know I can pronounce correctly rather than have to guess. With that said, my opinions on the names talked about thus far:

Bidoof is a funny name, I like it :p Doesn't mean he still doesn't suck eggs though >:O

Chatot rant go

In the Chatot episode, the characters pronounced Chatot as either "chad-ut" or "chah-tot". Since the etymology of Chatot is chat + parrot, I'm inclined to think that the "chad-ut" pronunciation would be correct. It's like saying the word parrot. Listen to the last syllable, when you pronounce the "ot" part. Now put the word chat in front of it and there you go. chad-ut. =D

You don't say pare-ot when you say parrot, so why should chah-tot be correct? I don't know either. But the chah-tot pronunciation - Saying the word chat, pronouncing the t, and put an "ot" sound at the end - seems to be the official pronunciation.

We'll find out when Battle Revolution comes out.

Chatot rant stop

Shinx is just plain fun to say. How could anyone dislike it?

Electivire, an Electric Mojanbo? I don't see the similarity. If you had no idea what Mojanbo was and you saw the name "Electivire," would you think "Tangela's evo" or "Electabuzz's evo" given a choice between the two?

Turtwig sounds kind of silly, but it's the perfect name. It makes absolute perfect sense.

Chimchar is really the only name I don't particularly agree with. I don't hate it, but I don't like saying it. It doesn't roll off the tongue well. Here's hoping his evolutions' names are cool.

I rather like Piplup's name. It reminds me of water, kind of. Like...a plip plop sound? Or a drip + a p maybe? It's good.

And about Happiny being too happy a name... there's no such thing when you eventually evolve into Blissey, the Happiness Pokémon. It's happy, it's mini, and it has the y ending for Chansey and Blissey. I challenge you to find a name with more synergy with its evolutions.

Glameow I never would have guessed. I guess it works. Kinda makes me wonder what the fat cat will be called. Mime Jr. I suppose is another good name. Kinda bland though, but eh. What can you do, right?

And finally, Cherrim: I suppose chair + imm would be correct. But Cherrim's JP name is Cherimu. The name wasn't changed, just romanized. That would make me want to pronunce it as "chair eem". I suppose we'll know for sure once Battle Revolution comes out.

Lol, I always think nintendo are mad whenever i go to my friends house to play on his wii. Anyways, yeh, the names are getting silly, chimchar sounds like a cross between chimecho and charmander. Pipilup is just wierd and bidoof made me cry. Who on earth would be attracted to pokemon if they come up with names like Bidoof?? even though they are silly, i will still like pokemon, It isn't really a good reason to stop liking it. I will always like pokemon!!!

Pimpwalkin' Mateo Johnson said:
And about Happiny being too happy a name... there's no such thing when you eventually evolve into Blissey, the Happiness Pokémon. It's happy, it's mini, and it has the y ending for Chansey and Blissey. I challenge you to find a name with more synergy with its evolutions.
I think the synergy could've been better.... It could have had 2 sylablles (gahh... can't spell that) instead of 3....
And as for other evolution lines with better synergy? Larvitar-Pupitar-Tyranitar is pretty good, as is Charmander-Charmeleon-Charizard and Machop-Machoke-Machamp. But I agree with the rest of your points.

Fire_Pokemon_Master said:
chimchar sounds like a cross between chimecho and charmander.

I had to point this out to clarify if nothing else. Chimchar and Chimecho are pronounced way differently. Chimchar is obviously a mix of "chimp" and "char". Pronounce it the same way you would if you said "chimp char." Now get rid of the p sound and you're good.

Chimecho's etymology is "chime echo". This is actually pretty easy, there's no fancy pronunciation tricks here. Just say "chime echo" and you're set. :D

And I forgot before: Dialga and Palkia kept their romanized names, this is not abnormal at all. They've done it to almost every legendary there's ever been. No reason to change it.

Back