Donphan Variants

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Donphan variants in the Expanded format. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Articles:

Donphan Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 12
  • 4 Donphan (PLS 72)
  • 4 Phanphy (PLS 71)
  • 4 Hawlucha (FFI 63)
Trainers: 30
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Korrina
  • 3 N
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 Robo Substitute
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 2 Focus Sash
  • 2 Silver Bangle
  • 1 Muscle Band
  • 1 Level Ball
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 3 Fighting Stadium
Energy: 11
  • 5 Fighting Energy
  • 4 Strong Energy
  • 2 Double Colorless Energy

Open Spots: 7

Sabaku

Aspiring Trainer
I recently started using this deck in Expanded, and what I immediately found out about it is that it gains a great deal from running AO Jolteon. Not only does AO Jolteon provide another Pokemon for Donphan to switch out with via Spinning Turn, but it also provides a way for Donphan to deal substantial damage to the likes of Mega Rayquaza and the Yveltals without resorting to the more expensive Wreck; unfortunately, when attacking, Resistance will still be a factor in how much damage you do, but luckily, resistance is calculated after weakness, so OHKOing Pokemon like the Yveltals is still a reasonable task with Electric Effect support and the various damage boosting Trainer cards and Strong Energies.

My only main gripe with Donphan decks like these is that they rely a lot on Special Energies, so Pokemon like the new promo Jirachi and Aegislash-EX give it a lot of trouble. Aegislash-EX alone merits making Trainer cards such as Silent Lab and Hex Maniac more of a necessity than a recommendation. It's also troublesome when Yveltal decks set up Garbotoxin Garbodor since it shuts down Electric Effect.

Sword.N

Aspiring Trainer
I'm trying 2-2 Zebstrika BKT in the deck recently.With DCE it can OHKO Yveltals, Pumpkaboo with Fight Fury Belt, and Trevenant. Would it be a considerable tech for Donphan?

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
I'm trying 2-2 Zebstrika BKT in the deck recently.With DCE it can OHKO Yveltals, Pumpkaboo with Fight Fury Belt, and Trevenant. Would it be a considerable tech for Donphan?
I wouldn't call a 2-2 line a tech, exactly, but it does seem to deal with a lot of things the deck has trouble with. It's a nice outside-the-box idea :)