• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Donkizard (Charizard EX Donk)

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
*Sweet rave music* I'm bringing donking back, yeah! You may call some hax, yeah!

Woah, sorry about that! Just super excited to share this deck and get feedback from you guys! So the deck I will be showcasing today is Charizard/Donk! Let's hop right into the decklist!

Pokemon: 7
  • 4 Charizard-EX (FLF Combustion Blast)
  • 3 Shaymin-EX (ROS)
Supporter/Item/Stadium: 44
  • 4 Blacksmith
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Hex Maniac
  • 1 Giovanni's Scheme
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Roller Skates
  • 4 Super Scoop Up
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 3 Switch
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 3 Virbank City Gym
Energy: 9
  • 4 DCE
  • 5 Fire Energy
Strategy:

So pretty much you are trying to setup a 170 damage combustion blast to OHKO (One hit knock out.) a lot of EX Pokemon. and to continually stream this damage we play 3 switch, they can also be used to switch out of Shaymin if you start with it. Mega Pokemon are definatley a problem for this deck which is why on the rare occasion we can use Muscle Band + Hypnotoxic Laser + Virbank + Giovanni's Scheme to deal 220 damage.

Thanks for reading!

-Gengar

It seems like using Reshiram EX (LTR/BWBSP/NXD) would be an effective side-attacker to Charizard-EX to help prevent lone shaymin-ex starts since they both generally do the same thing. Also, would fiery torch or scorched earth with an increased fire energy count maybe be worth considering? Gets fire energy in the discard faster, and provides general draw support.
How does this deck fare against anyone who starts with more than 1 basic in play after setup or after their first turn, since you'll generally be going second to achieve potential donk? And what about Aegislash-EX, Sigilyph, Suicune, etc.? Do you have an answer to those? If I may suggest a shredder, Reshiram (LTR/BWBSP/NXD/BLW) works well. It may seem like I'm fanboying Reshiram here, but that's mainly because his cards are mainly best in class, at least in my opinion. He's pretty much the only fire-type basic aside Charizard-EX and Entei AOR-14 that's actually worth a damn, and entei is just barely passable because he charges with just a single blacksmith.
I like your enthousiasm with the deck, and your build looks quite effective in a vacuum, but there are multiple possible threats in the current format that keep it from being perfect.

I would get a non-EX attacker or some other pokemon so you don't start off with a shaymin. Also maybe 1 AZ so you can pick up a shaymin (definately unlike scoop up).

*Sweet rave music* I'm bringing donking back, yeah! You may call some hax, yeah!

Woah, sorry about that! Just super excited to share this deck and get feedback from you guys! So the deck I will be showcasing today is Charizard/Donk! Let's hop right into the decklist!

Pokemon: 7
  • 4 Charizard-EX (FLF Combustion Blast)
  • 3 Shaymin-EX (ROS)
Supporter/Item/Stadium: 44
  • 4 Blacksmith
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Hex Maniac
  • 1 Giovanni's Scheme
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Roller Skates
  • 4 Super Scoop Up
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 3 Switch
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 3 Virbank City Gym
Energy: 9
  • 4 DCE
  • 5 Fire Energy
Strategy:

So pretty much you are trying to setup a 170 damage combustion blast to OHKO (One hit knock out.) a lot of EX Pokemon. and to continually stream this damage we play 3 switch, they can also be used to switch out of Shaymin if you start with it. Mega Pokemon are definatley a problem for this deck which is why on the rare occasion we can use Muscle Band + Hypnotoxic Laser + Virbank + Giovanni's Scheme to deal 220 damage.

Thanks for reading!

-Gengar
Where are the Trainer's Mail?

This isn't a donk.. at all. Donking is when you consistently take a turn 1 win. This deck doesn't even remotely have the ability to do that, the only way you can get a T1 win is if your opponent has a horrid start.

Anyway. Regice alone totally murders this deck, you can't have just the main attacker and Shaymin. It needs techs, secondary attackers, etc.
You already run DCE, so you're good there.
Now
-2 Battle Compressor
-4 Roller Skates
-3 Switch
-2 Blacksmith
-1 Laser

+3-3 Zoroark
+3 Float Stone
+1 Hoopa EX
+2 PBO/Judge/Shauna

There's a reason you never see roller skates played, and you only need battle compressor to get Fire Energy in your discard pile for Blacksmith use. Zoroark gives you a secondary attacker and a more consistent way of switching out your Charizards to actually use Combustion Blast. Stand-In-retreat. A possibility would be to add a small Flareon line, maybe 1-1 so your Zoroark could also take advantage of Blacksmith. You don't need quite so many Blacksmith because you have VS seeker, and with 2 Fire Energies in the discard pile being a requirement (it's a waste otherwise), you need more draw support, which you lack. Since you're daling with mostly EXes, a Hoopa EX is a good tech for the deck as well. For the price of an Ultra Ball, you can get three EXes.

I thought perhaps a Jirachi EX might help make the Blacksmith conversion on turn 1 fairly easy, but I dunno if having another bad starter is good.
Battle Compressor has that added bonus of discarding Blacksmith when you start with a VS Seeker.
Acro Bike might work in your favour, discarding energy.
I would definitely run Scorched Earth and a 4th Muscle Band.
Having the Muscle Band is key, the laser will get all but Tyrantrum EX KO'd on turn 2 since there is no Mega Evolution pokemon you need to worry about turn 1, except Rayquaza, hopefully you are going second in that case.
I believe Reshiram EX is superior to Charizard EX in all respects. Better first attack, nicer art. Also, run Victory Star Victini instead of a Zoroark line or the ever annoying Keldeo EX to offset the 'nerf effect' for the 150 damage.
I'm working on this with Entei Ancient Trait, but Black and White Reshiram is pretty much my all time favourite pokemon.
You need 4 Ultra Ball to take advantage of Shaymin EX on your first turn.
I thought about 4 Roller Skates too, since if you hit heads it might get you 1 of the 3 magic cards you need turn 1, Battle Compressor, VS Seeker, DCE. Muscle Band and Laser are just bonuses. 4 Unown would help thin your deck to get the magic combo, also you can always redeem the Farewell Letter after you 'set up' with Shaymin EX.
Scorched Earth, 8 fire energies, maybe a Professor's Letter.

I use to run a deck list like this and it dead draws a lot. One of the things I used to speed the deck up was Trainers Mail. I would also switch out skates for unown. Once siesmitoad hits the deck it will be hard to manage a way out.

Good Luck!

Too true.
You want to limit draw supporters since the goal is to be playing Blacksmith on turn one. Since it is largely items that allow you to do this. Ultra Ball, VS Seeker, Battle Compressor and so on Computer Search, Trainer's Mail helps you dig for that 3rd card in the combo if you know what I mean, either Professor's Letter + Ultra Ball + Blacksmith or Battle Compressor + VS Seeker + Ultra Ball for Shaymin EX to find DCE.
I'm not convinced Lasers are that important, since most people do fold if you start the game swinging for 150 +.
I've been playing 4 Entei AT which helps with the prize exchange and the whole 4 Muscle Band, 3 Assault Vest is awesome. Think of it this way, you get an Assault Vest on Charizard EX or Reshiram EX, or even Entei and you'll survive Muscle Band, Quaking Punch for Weakness + Virbank to finish off the Toad on your second turn if you miss the 'donk'. Assault Vest can be pretty key. Entei is somewhat prefereable to Reshiram BLW, I think, since it's attacks don't require Blacksmith every turn and having the option to attach two tools is pretty sweet. The fact that it will charge up on precisely the same mechanic as Charizard EX and Reshiram EX is also a selling feature.

Back