Discussion Does anyone know why the hidden fates trainer boxes are so expensive?

aretwodaytowa

Aspiring Trainer
It's £95 on ebay and £150 on amazon in the UK

There are ten booster packs which are worth about £40, plus the promo which is on ebay for £10. Am I missing anything else? IS it likely to go up or down in price?

Otaku

The wise fool?
Hidden Fats is a "special set" that is only available through buying products which contain it. Unless a store specifically buys those products (Trainer Boxes, Gift Sets, etc.) to open them up and sell the contents separately, you'll never find individual boosters of them, let alone be able to order a full booster box.

Unlike the normal sets, that are part of whatever current "series" is in effect. For example, we are at the end of the Sun & Moon series (SM-series) of releases. We got regular, full-sized sets released ever February, May, August, and November since 2017. Other sets also released at this time, but they were "bonus" sets (often mini-sets or reprint sets or both): Shining Legends, Dragon Majesty, Detective Pikachu, and Hidden Fates.

aretwodaytowa

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks for that info, but I've looked at the other products and you can buy the 3 tins of hidden fates (charizard, gyarados and raichu) for about £50 which come with 4 packs eachs wich means you're getting a pack for about £4 each. Why would anyone buy the trainer boxes for £95 when you can buy the tins or other special products e.g. you can buy the hidden fates pin collection for £15 which comes with 3 packs which puts the packs at £5 each?

I don't undertand why people are buying/selling the trainer box for this much when packs are available cheaper elsewhere. I was wondering if I am missing something extra special that comes with the trainer box to warrant such a high price.

ShaQuL

@KabutoKingTCG
Thanks for that info, but I've looked at the other products and you can buy the 3 tins of hidden fates (charizard, gyarados and raichu) for about £50 which come with 4 packs eachs wich means you're getting a pack for about £4 each. Why would anyone buy the trainer boxes for £95 when you can buy the tins or other special products e.g. you can buy the hidden fates pin collection for £15 which comes with 3 packs which puts the packs at £5 each?

I don't undertand why people are buying/selling the trainer box for this much when packs are available cheaper elsewhere. I was wondering if I am missing something extra special that comes with the trainer box to warrant such a high price.
They're a collector's item at this point. I was lucky to buy it for £40 when it first came out, but the prices sky rocketed the following week to £60 and now to whatever you're saying. They come with a promo card, sleeves and dice which people also collect. Since the boxes are out of production now, people will sell them for more (just like the Charizard tin is sold for more than the other two).

aretwodaytowa

Aspiring Trainer
They're a collector's item at this point. I was lucky to buy it for £40 when it first came out, but the prices sky rocketed the following week to £60 and now to whatever you're saying. They come with a promo card, sleeves and dice which people also collect. Since the boxes are out of production now, people will sell them for more (just like the Charizard tin is sold for more than the other two).

Great thanks. So I assume they only get more expensive from here?

ShaQuL

@KabutoKingTCG
Great thanks. So I assume they only get more expensive from here?
To a point. People will now try sell them for any price from retail to 3x-4x the retail. So you can probably get lucky and get it relatively cheap, but it'll be harder.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
I don't know about UK, but here in the US if you just want packs, the tins are everywhere now at retail.